Media Excess

Old 01-30-15, 11:53 AM
Media Excess

I'm really getting tired of the media running our country. They are so out of bounds that the Supreme Court should revoke ALL of the freedoms they claim.

Title: "Here's Chris Christie Falling Out Of A Chair" The article that follows says this was caught on film in June of 14. It may have been humorous back then, but pulling it up now is clearly intended to defame Gov Christie. The issue is not the Gov, it is the abuse by the media constantly imposing their opinions on everyone.

An article about Sara Palin, a day or two ago selected a less than flattering picture which they obviously sorted out specifically to present a poor image.

I don't care about the politics of either of these examples, but I do care about the politics of the media and I vote to have them censured.

Bud

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-15, 12:23 PM
Group Moderator
The media is supposed to be un-biased.

I quit watching the news a long time ago.

Old 01-30-15, 01:02 PM
All you need to do is to check the schedule for daytime broadcasting. Between Maury Povich with his paternity cases, Jerry Springer with his anything but normal people, and several other similar programs PLUS all the "judge" shows it is easy to see that the average television viewer has an IQ of less than 100. Add in stupid shows like The Hen Party and many others and it has come to pass as Newton Minnow (once FCC chairman) stated with television becoming a vast wasteland.

So, the bottom line is, we have this kind of crap on the TV because this is what draws the most viewers.

Old 01-30-15, 01:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The media is supposed to be un-biased.
Agreed!!! but I think they quit being unbiased and became all about showmanship somewhere in the last 20-30 yrs. I remember when the news reported just the facts and left it to the viewer to decide how that impacted him.

Old 01-30-15, 03:16 PM
Group Moderator
There's too much money involved - they have to have viewers so they can sell commercials, which leads back to Furd's point.

Old 01-30-15, 03:21 PM
Group Moderator
News went downhill after Walter Cronkite left.

Old 01-30-15, 05:43 PM
Bud, why do you watch the news? It is clear you have internet access. You can sort through the garbage far more easily online.

Old 01-30-15, 05:56 PM
<Bud, why do you watch the news?> I keep asking myself that same question, but deaf people live is a smaller world and need something to keep the mind busy.

But the play book the media is using has clearly reached the point of being illegal. If you and I ran competing restaurants and sat down and to discuss pricing we could both be severely fined. Yet these reporters decide who they want to elect and the talking points get passed around. I love it when a reporter interviews someone and the reporter does 90% of the talking. And you know the subject being interviewed was selected because they present the position THE REPORTER wants to promote.

And, how about these information sources that come from ?someone not authorized to say anything?
If they weren't authorized, why does that authorize the reporter to print it??

I had to laugh at my own thinking that we should limit the power of the press. What would be in the news if anyone tried to get that started?

Bud

Old 02-04-15, 09:21 AM
Most American news websites are just as biased. I get better news from BBC.com, and that is my go-to site for world events and news. I do have a local site I use for local news, but that's it as far as US sites go.

Old 02-04-15, 10:29 AM
I'm still steaming. Today's media acts more like paid lobiests bent on swaying public and private opinions. If they are going to act like that they need to surrender ALL of their press protections. They act like they are untouchable, interviewing murders and standing on the firing line while an enemy of this country is shooting at Americans. I can't cite an exact example, but if you arranged an opportunity for a bunch of journalists to travel with the Daesh (ISIS) and return with their head attached they would be lined up to go. They need to stop making the news, be it the weather or world wide.

Bud

Old 02-04-15, 11:37 AM
I could not agree more. I can't recall the sequence now, but have said many times that the saddest day for democracy in my life time was when the last of the "big three" evening anchormen stepped down. Just like all of us, they had their opinions, and sometimes they showed a bit, but we got the facts regardless, and things that mattered were front and center.

Old 02-04-15, 12:02 PM
There is no unbiased news reporting and there never has been. ALL commentators, readers and reporters will impart their own bias as well as the bias of their employer. The only way to the truth is to get your news from as many and as varied sources as possible and then sort the wheat from the chaff yourself.

Old 02-04-15, 03:04 PM
It seems to me that most media has a liberal bias to it and is geared more towards the liberal politics than with an even moderate approach. One thing I am getting sick and tired of is seeing all of those marchers protesting about this that or the other thing. Instead they should be looking at the real picture and letting people know exactly how things are instead of ducking the issue about the important things.

Old 02-04-15, 04:26 PM
And yet, most media outlets are owned by fairly conservative people or companies.

Old 02-05-15, 12:52 PM
Indeed they are. I have never believed the myth of the "liberal media". I believe the media presents whatever sells advertising. Money makes the world go round.