Embarassed, oblivous, or whatever

Old 02-10-15, 06:15 AM
Hedge, I used to volunteer both my time and my money at a local historical museum. Had I been paid I might actually be rich today. Well, not rich but definitely have more money. I did get paid twice and both times were for babysitting photographers that had leased the facility for a special shoot. Both times I donated the money to the museum.

I agree with Mark, getting paid would take some of the fun out of it. Besides, I would have to be darn sure I was posting useful advice then and not the drivel that I all to often post.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-15, 06:15 AM
I often get the impression that the mods and a very few high-post-count members feel it's their responsibility to "carry" the forum and post something just to keep the revenue-generating hit counters clicking. Maybe many of those are what Furd posted earlier about answering posts with additional questions just to see if the poster is really committed to getting the answer.

Old 02-10-15, 06:24 AM
Gee, I had written a whole page of why being paid is not right and volunteering is better and even the legal aspects of it. But cancelled it because I thought I was getting in way too deep. But then Hedgeclipper and Furd brought up volunteering their time for church and museums. WOW!

Old 02-10-15, 06:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I often get the impression that the mods feel it's their responsibility to "carry" the forum and post something just to keep the revenue-generating hit counters clicking.
I've been a mod for quite some time and never felt obligated to carry the forum for any revenue generating reasons. While I know it takes money for the forums to exist - that isn't why we are here! Like many, I do feel that all posters deserve a response to their questions and try not to let a thread go unanswered even if it's something I know little about [prefer for an expert to respond but that doesn't always happen] There are also those who don't understand how the forums work and think because they didn't get an immediate answer that they are being ignored

Old 02-10-15, 06:34 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Anyone who has been following this thread now knows or will know that the moderators are volunteering to work for millionaires without pay. If they want to continue, that's their decision. Personally, I wouldn't do it. Then company has many paying jobs. Moderator should be included.

At the moment, there are 142 paying jobs available. Apparently, they use a different domain for the job search but here it is anyway:
Internet Brands, Inc.

Old 02-10-15, 06:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I see my role here in the big scheme of things as being able to give back a little for the good of the community.
This was my own post (#9) in this thread. Not sure how we got on the subject of money and getting paid. But you all have given me cause to put additional thought into whether I should up my role to moderator or not. I certainly enjoy where I am currently, and trying to determine if it will spoil the fun or not. Every now and then, if I'm feeling cranky/tired, its nice to give yourself a day off from posting. With responsibility comes less flexibility. Or, maybe just over thinking things as usual.

Old 02-10-15, 06:37 AM
Volunteering for whatever cause is what makes this country strong. You don't do it for points or to make yourself bigger than you are. You do it because it feels good to do it and just like any job paid or not sometimes you feel real small because you get berated by someone and sometimes you feel real great because someone says great job. But that is what volunteering is all about and isn't it nice too when someone does something for free for a change instead of asking for money. It makes the person receiving the service feel better too.

Sure your advice could be wrong but who is to say that paid persons advice is any better. Is that doctor you see that you pay for any better than a doctor down the street who volunteers his services? Maybe and maybe not it just depends but I feel in my example that they both do the best they can.

Old 02-10-15, 06:38 AM
Admin Emeritus

My 2 Cents ()

This site has been around and online since 1995. Long before many of the other sites of it's type. And long before what amount there is now. Many of which are sites devoted solely to one specialty skill, trade, industry etc.

This site has been successful in part thanks to all parties and especially as a result of the excellent well done jobs and devotions of the moderators. THANKS...

As far as members making posts with questions they have, I use the method of reading the question twice to be sure I understand the nature of the question, for the most part ignore replys and simply post all my own best advice in one reply. Then move on. Works most of the time. But not always.

Intent is to provide as many possible solutions and or suggestions as possible in my one reply. I set up the number of characters allowed in a post for that specific purpose as well as for the OP to provide as much details and specifics info as possible. Some know that while many others do not.

The satisfaction might come as a result of posting by a mod is to also consider whom else is reading the thread as well and those whom search threads in a forum to first help themselves by finding the solutions to their problems before posting their questions. Or for the purpose of just learning. Reason why we have archives and sticky notes. Which there are plenty of in almost every forum and sometimes read by members before posting but all to often not referred to by the very mods whom wrote them....

Bottom line here is to also consider the many members whom are also reading and learning while not posting their questions. We are in many ways helping far more than just the OP...

Best advice is to post as much info and as many possible solutions, suggestions and or advice as you can in one reply. Doing so infers you read and understood the question too. Then let the OP choose the best advice provided among all the posts within the thread that best suites their problem while we move on. No need to "Tweet" on this site...LOL!

Old 02-10-15, 06:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Well put hedgeclippers

Old 02-10-15, 06:54 AM
Sharp Advice every single point you make is spot-on. An excellent reply from our admin! Must be a paid position

Old 02-10-15, 01:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
IMO, this isn't Mr. Briscoe's forum....it is ours. As a group, we make it run. I couldn't care less about the pay thing. Never entered my mind. Without the group of professionals and knowledgeable DIY'ers, we wouldn't have much. Post count???? Who cares? Most of us just want to get information to and from posters to make things happen. It is an enjoyable part of my day, and I feel I have made lifelong friends that I may never meet, but you're there.

Catching Joel in a grammatical or spelling error is the whipped cream.
and not the drivel that I all to often post.

Old 02-10-15, 03:13 PM
Temporarily Suspended
If you & the other moderators want to volunteer your time for millionaires, go ahead. It's not for me. The same people have some paying jobs at the following link:
Internet Brands, Inc.

Meet the entire management team:
Internet Brands, Inc. – About us

Old 02-10-15, 03:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think my post has been officially highjacked.

Old 02-10-15, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator
Ok, we get it...you don't want to be a Mod. Lol

Yeah, they have paying jobs if you want to move to CA (uggg) or be on a set schedule.

I do this for the same reason I help someone at HD or WM when they seem to be struggling with a decision about a tool or something. It also helps fill my day and relax me to some extent (not always of course, but better than the local newspaper).

It's the same as when a neighbor is doing something and I go over to lend a hand and try to help guide him if he's in over his head. I can't do as much physical work as I used to, but I still have some knowledge and all the guys here as a backup resource.

Old 02-10-15, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator
Sorry Czizzi...you are right....it's gone 180 degrees off. Sorry that I contributed to that. I was mostly reading replies.

Old 02-10-15, 03:30 PM
Sorry Z. Couldn't help it. Like sitting at a dinner table with a nice steak in front of you. Gonna watch it all night or eat it???

Vic, I, too, have been backing down on the physical exertion of my business, and letting the younger guys do it. All they want is me to find them jobs, make sure materials are on site, and be present on Friday evening at pay time. Other than that, it is head work for me, sort of like the forums. I can still think and express myself.

Old 02-10-15, 03:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I haven't officially ruled the mod thing out. Just a couple of posts recently that seemed to have leapfrogged over everything I suggested, only to have someone else make the exact same suggestion or point out the same issue and the OP acknowledged the other persons Ideas as theirs. So I was wondering if the title would alter anything. It's rare that this happens, but it does.

Old 02-10-15, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator
Well, it has been 57 posts so far. I dunno about others...but I can't remember that far back...lol.

Old 02-10-15, 03:47 PM
Group Moderator
the OP acknowledged the other persons Ideas as theirs.
Nope....absolutely not. I experience the SAME exact issue czizzi. I sometimes wonder if my posts are even visible.

Old 02-10-15, 04:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I volunteer because I received help here, valuable help.
I don't care who's making money or how much, they deserve it if they can get a computer to actually work. I just want to help someone that maybe has an idea like: "Huh, a red wire, I wonder if I should grab it and see what it does".

Old 02-10-15, 04:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Well, it has been 57 posts so far. I dunno about others...but I can't remember that far back...lol.
25 of them had to do with should moderators get paid because they are feeding millionaires who don't need the money or something. Don't blame you for missing the original discussion as well as others. Maybe they should go to Angie's List and pay a subscription price just to see the info.....

Old 02-10-15, 07:07 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Did it really take me 25 posts to express support for the proletariat & denounce the bourgeoisie? I must be slipping.

Old 02-10-15, 07:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Czizzi was seeking advice as to whether he should be a moderator. I say yes. He's already a great asset and the rest is unimportant.

Old 02-10-15, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator
Actually Brian...that wasn't the original question I don't think. Check post #1. Maybe it came up later, but like I said..I'm not going back though 60+ posts to find it.

Old 02-11-15, 01:02 AM
Catching Joel in a grammatical or spelling error is the whipped cream.
and not the drivel that I all to often post.
Keep looking, Larry. My nerve degeneration is getting worse and I make LOTS more mistakes than I did even a couple of months ago. I try to catch them in the proofreading but I don't catch them all by a long shot.

Old 02-11-15, 03:22 AM
I know how you mods feel. If money meant anything I would not be working at my job. I tell people that I work at my vest and apron job that the money is poor and the hours are terrible, but I enjoy it. I'll be the first at work and shovel out the entrance (no pay), I'll refuse any tips that some patrons offer for fixing their small appliance that they might bring in, I'll offer people help even while off the clock or if I should walk in to buy myself supplies. I'll occasionally take home work or provide extra product info (much of what is gleaned from here) all on my own. I'm laughed at and poked fun at from co-workers and management, but they will also afford me favors when I ask. They do appreciate me. I'm 65 years old, but what's amazing is that because of my actions several of the kids (under twenty) have started doing lots of extra (no pay) work. The best part...it feels good.

Old 02-11-15, 03:25 AM
Don't get me wrong. I really appreciate anyone who is educated and insists on the proper use of the English language. Far too much, nowadays, it has been placed on a butcher block of convenience. Some posts lack intelligible sentence structure. When asked to clarify things, it gets even worse, and the ill spelling/word usage gets compounded. I know not everyone uses spell check, but for those who doubt their ability to do it right, it is an invaluable tool. OK, Z, second hijack successful

Old 02-11-15, 03:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
OK, Z, second hijack successful
Run with it guys, I'm just here for the ride now -

Search this Thread