Embarassed, oblivous, or whatever

Old 02-08-15, 03:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Embarassed, oblivous, or whatever

It seems there is a fine line between those who come to these forums seeking advice and hang on for every last bit of advice and encouragement eventually racking up dozens upon dozens of back and forth posts.....and... Those who come, don't like the response and disappear. I'm not one who needs a pat on the back and/or thanks for helping out, but I do lose sleep sometimes worrying about someone who clearly was not following best practices and never returns after you call then out. Do you think they are sliding to other forums trying to find a positive response to the way they are doing things, or are they simply trudging along the wrong path thumbing their noses at us.

I only participate in this forum, so I don't know if they simply go to another forum and ask the same question hoping for a better response. I know several of the regulars and moderators follow/participate in multiple forums. Do you see the same people asking the same questions on other forums because they didn't get their ideas stroked on this one? Just curious.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-15, 03:23 PM
Group Moderator
Yes.... many times I'll google a members question and find it other sites. For the most part.... I haven't seen many answered at other sites.

Old 02-08-15, 03:28 PM
Group Moderator
Yep, they do... at least a few of them do. While I understand the reasoning behind posting the same question on multiple boards, what I don't appreciate are those people who have GOTTEN their answer... but continue to ask the same question hoping for a different answer or maybe they are just looking for that one person who will tell them what they want to hear.

While I've never seen the need to use the "ignore" option, the thought has crossed my mind a few times. Of course, no one needs a button to do that. I can usually self-edit my own thoughts before pushing send. Usually.

Old 02-08-15, 03:48 PM
I'm registered on several forums but for the last few years I have concentrated almost all my time on this one as I think it is the best of the bunch.

I sometimes see posters that I think are looking for someone to sprinkle holy water on their bad idea and then bless it. When I do I often post those very words and then try to tell them WHY their idea is less than optimal. Sometimes I get an angry retort back but most often I am just ignored. I offer my knowledge learned over the course of my life and if someone chooses to ignore that experience there is nothing I can do but to move on to the next question. I don't lose a single minute of sleep over any of it.

Old 02-08-15, 04:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Maybe "lose sleep" was not the correct phrase, but I do put thought and effort into solving some of the problems presented. Sometimes, those thoughts do come when I am having a restless night. But it does irk me that some come telling us of this grand Rube Goldberg of a set up they have concocted and want verification on if the can put it together with super glue and drywall screws. When we tell them the Rube Goldberg is wrong, not the glue or screw, they disappear. Maybe this is just my rant of the week... On the bright side, it is great therapy for maintaining ones composure when you get the errant meat-head whose arrogance stands in the way of clear thinking.

Old 02-08-15, 04:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't do a whole lot of searching and am not too familiar with other sites. There is one that comes up often if searching for answers, I won't name it. I have seen questions and answers on that site, and the answers are mostly useless.
You do a good job Czizzi, all the others as well.
It's tough for a customer (poster) to hear some news like "rip shower out and redo" or "run a new #8 cable 100' through walls"
I can attest to one thing, being a DIY guy. At some point they will look back and say crap, I could have done it that way.

Old 02-08-15, 04:22 PM
Group Moderator
I'm thinking of a poster right now trying to get a 3-way to work. Whoever originally wired it used only 2-conductor cables. In at least three replies I have mentioned it needs a 3-conductor cable to be wired in a code compliant way. He has ignored every post where I have mentioned that.

P.S. Brian I know you know the post but I am aiming it at the OP not you. You are just trying to be a good guy and help despite a very poor situation. I have to admire your patients and perseverance on that one.

Old 02-08-15, 04:28 PM
When I see a question to which I think I have some insight the first thing I do is to look at the poster's profile to see how may posts he or she has made. If it is their initial post I will either pass or else use a very short response asking for more information. About 50% of the time that is the end of it for me because the poster never returns or on the off chance they do more often than not the ignore my questions.

What REALLY irks me is when I spend a significant amount of time formulating a long and detailed response and the poster never returns. That is why I try to get more information before writing my treatise.

Old 02-08-15, 04:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Its funny, I see my role here in the big scheme of things as being able to give back a little for the good of the community. Everyone receives great praise for the fad of "pay it forward", where you buy the meal for the next person in line. Those of wealth receive great accolades for giving $1000 tips to someone making minimum wage. Great satisfaction I assume, but in reality, we are paying it forward everyday with our efforts here on the forums. Sure its not $1000 cash in your pocket, but in most instances, it is keeping that $1000 in your pocket and not having you spend it on your friendly neighborhood contractor. I think we are doing the greater service.

Old 02-08-15, 05:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
About a year ago my Clothes Washer stopped spinning and wouldn't drain. I was going to take it apart from the back, decided to post here first for some input.
This site saved me the cost of a new washer. I guarantee you if I would have taken the washer apart from back, I would have had a pile of scrap.
That's money in my pocket and a lot of grief avoided.

Old 02-08-15, 05:44 PM
Sure its not $1000 cash in your pocket, but in most instances, it is keeping that $1000 in your pocket and not having you spend it on your friendly neighborhood contractor. I think we are doing the greater service.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for one day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

This site has been invaluable to me. I knew quite a lot more than the average person before I came here, but having people to ask specific questions and receiving an answer has made a huge difference. Plus I have learned a lot that I didn't know.

Old 02-09-15, 03:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It would have been nice if this forum [or ones like it] had been around a long time ago. Most of what I know about trades other than painting came from doing it myself [and making a lot of mistakes] and talking to the different trades on the job about whatever I was getting ready to tackle at home.

Personally I get a lot of satisfaction from helping others ..... and typing advice on the forums is a LOT easier than doing the actual work It's not hard to ignore the few idiots that don't want to learn

Old 02-09-15, 04:36 AM
Temporarily Suspended
czizzi, it's not worth worrying about posters who search don't like our advice & search for another answer. The guy who kept asking about his patio with high tech designs attached, sticks out in my mind. He didn't want to hear that his patio needed to be rebuilt from scratch, which is understandable.

PJmax, I've seen the same post/question asked in other forums by the same poster but I didn't search the question to find it. I searched the user's screen name. Many people make the mistake of using the same screen name everywhere. The more common it is, the harder it is to find but let's say it's something like Mike34625. The name Mike is common but the chances of another Mike using the same combination of numbers after his name is fairly low. Not only will you see their duplicate posts but a lot of other info will appear. Even if they omit their state of residency, for more privacy, they are sure to have Facebook & Twitter accounts. It makes me laugh when they do that.

Old 02-09-15, 04:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Having the early shift allows me to get rid of overnight spam and advertising, then scrutinize posts before I waste time with lengthy research. Some ask questions in earnest. Some are pulling our strings. Since this is in general chats, I won't mention them. Give good solid advice, make sure they understand the consequences of not doing it right, and hope they take your advice. If not, I don't revisit. A thread with 95 responses has been asked and answered sufficiently, IMO.

Old 02-09-15, 06:45 AM
When I can, I post an answer based on my knowledge and experience. Usually one post is sufficient, but sometimes the OP needs a little clarification. I will provide that. What really irks me is when the OP gets bent out of shape with the reply to their question. If they were so smart why did they ask in the first place.

Then there are posters that don't have enough background to be helped. They don't have enough experience to comprehend the answers given,

Y'all can have the "soap box" back now.

RR

Old 02-09-15, 08:34 AM
Temporarily Suspended
The thing that irritates most OPs is when you tell them that they have to get a permit. I present the idea in a question rather than a some time of 'you have to' statement. I usually say, Did you intend to submit plans with the building dept? That diffuses the tension.

Old 02-09-15, 09:09 AM
I admire the work that all of you do! I'm amazed at the quality and quantity of work you put out - surely as good as in any professional school. And you do it day after day, night after night, sick or well, earnestly and tactfully and logically. You explain the reasons behind your answers when you've assessed the OP's level of understanding. You encourage the ones who are doing right and warn the ones who aren't.

The ones who just want their idiotic ideas ratified amuse me when they keep asking the same question without referring to your answers, as though you won't notice the good answers already given. And sometimes I have to tune in the next day to make sure the OP is still alive, particularly when they go right ahead and do something dumb electrically!

KUDOS to all you knowledgeable and superbly helpful advisors!!

Old 02-09-15, 03:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Follow up question - For those that have made the leap.....

Does having the title of - "Forum Topic Moderator" under your name really make your recommendations hold more weight? I have specifically called out "Home Improvement Contractor" in my Bio to lend credence to my suggestions. However, I see many strong candidates, whom I respect very much, with tens of thousands of responses that are listed as just "Member". Maybe people don't read the bio's, and take me as some joe with an opinion (no offense to any joes out there). God knows there are ones like that floating around the net.

At the risk of tooting my own horn, should I apply for a moderator position? I swear that I have seen some that were originally moderators that are now just members, do they issue demotions around here? Would hate to disappoint the family.....

Old 02-09-15, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
Yes...you should apply. PM SharpAdvice (Tom) and ask. Most demotions are just due to inactivity.

And also yes, because I have Super Mod under my name, people think I'm some sort of expert and I occasionally get PMs from people thinking that I'm some sort of expert in everything, when I'm not really an expert in anything...just experienced in a lot of things.

Some people just don't have the time or inclination to be Mods. I've recommended to several that they ask, but they just don't want the hassle...and sometimes it is a hassle.

Old 02-09-15, 03:26 PM
Group Moderator
You can apply to be a moderator. There is a guideline and application like thing at the top of every forum.

Many moderators have stepped down from their position if they feel they can't fulfill it properly or the job just took up too much free time.

Old 02-09-15, 03:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderators just have certain forums where they sort of hold reins on spam, advertising and errant posts. Sort of lower level peace keepers. No badge or gun. Sometimes moderators can get burned out or busy with life and choose to step down but remain just as active. Yeah, some can get "demoted" due to inactivity, etc, but it is no reflection on their knowledge base.

Old 02-09-15, 04:07 PM
Group Moderator
Just tell Tom when you PM him which forums you think you will best be able to help in. After you have done your time as a Topic mod who can only has some privileges in his/her assigned forums you may be promoted to a Group Mod if there is an opening. A group mod has some privileges in all forums.

Old 02-09-15, 05:20 PM
Some people just don't have the time or inclination to be Mods. I've recommended to several that they ask, but they just don't want the hassle...and sometimes it is a hassle.
I've been asked a couple or three times to be a moderator and always turned it down for these reasons. I have the utmost respect for anyone that can fill the shoes of a forum moderator, at any level. It just isn't for me.

Old 02-09-15, 08:08 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Is moderator a paying job? If it is, how much does it pay?

Old 02-09-15, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator
All the high fives you can stand Pulpo!

Old 02-09-15, 08:13 PM
Temporarily Suspended
LOL I figured that I could have handled the computer sub forum. I'll just skip the application.

Old 02-09-15, 09:36 PM
Group Moderator
I've to tell you guys something.... we rely on your help.
You guys are right there in the trenches with us.

Old 02-09-15, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator
Absolutely Pete! Without all the great members here...we'd be gone. I completely understand someone not wanting to be a Mod, but when they contribute so much knowledge and experience, they are what makes this site so special.

Old 02-09-15, 11:07 PM
Speaking of paid moderators I think it would be a mistake to pay moderators. I like it the way it is with all volunteer moderators. I have read some answers that were freely given out on some of those websites where you pay for advice and had to laugh as they don't know what they are talking about. I haven't been posting much myself first because of carpal tunnel concerns which are gone now. Second because I have been busy and third I have seen some very incredible advice lately in the computer thread so I haven't added anything else because the question was covered.

I do belong to one other computer forum and I enjoy posting there too but like with here I have been kind of busy and well it isn't like here, here is where my home is on the internet with the best bunch of people I have ever met. We may disagree at times but everybody disagrees about things. I too though feel frustrated here at times and remember a time when a fellow here wanted to dig out his own basement. I remember telling him how dangerous that was and how he would need a permit but he would never listen so I just gave . Do you remember him Larry it was a while back.

Old 02-10-15, 03:03 AM
Yes, I remember. One of many, though. I have been to sites where there is a pop up asking you to donate for the information based on the respondent's status. You can get the answer for free, but i get turned off at the request for payment.

Old 02-10-15, 03:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is moderator a paying job? If it is, how much does it pay?
The big payback is satisfaction from helping out ........ of course there is the company truck [keys are in the mail] and the big fat check we get each month [also in the mail] only problem is the mailman is super slow

I have no idea if posters give more credence to moderators over regular members. I've always thought that the content of the response along with how it's presented has more weight than any title that may or may not be under the member's name. There are quite a few members that would likely make good moderators but it's up to them to decide if they want to. I only remember 1-2 moderators that were fired for misconduct but I think they had personal issues that made them unsuited for the job.

Old 02-10-15, 05:03 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Hedgeclippers, Moderators should be paid. The owners of the site are making money. For one, they allow other sites to gather info from this site. They get paid for that.

Rubicon Project <----Why does diy need them to gather info here? They don't help the members. That's just one of many.

Old 02-10-15, 05:04 AM
As a relativity new member but fairly active I learn a lot more than I teach or give. Very often I will offer advice or suggestions only to be called out by many of our experts. I appreciate that criticism. (Funny, I find myself knowing less and less as I learn more and more.) I also appreciate when a fellow poster acknowledges a piece of good info I give. I try to do the same. I think when several people confirm or acknowledge advice or help given by members it reinforces the advice and gives the OP a better sense of reliability.

As I've mentioned once or twice before I think we sometimes go a little too deep and can scare some new comers away. Furd, you admitted as much (lol), but too much info is a lot better than too little. Don't stop.

It's nice when a seeker of advice comes back and gives us feedback on how our advice helped (or not) their project. But most people just want to complete their job and get on with their life.

As far as other DIY forums go, I tried a few but this is the one that I stick with. Each forum has a "personality" and either you click with it or not. I use to belong to the Ford Fiesta Forum. Fantastic people and great forum. Changed cars to a Ford Focus. Tried to join the Focus forums and just could not "get into them".

Old 02-10-15, 05:22 AM
Pulpo, I disagree with having paid moderators. The fact that the owners of this site make money is irrelevant because if they didn't make money this site would cease to exist. Someone or something has to pay the bills and the alternative would be another site that demands payment from the membership.

Old 02-10-15, 05:43 AM
Temporarily Suspended
The owners can pay the help & still make money. If all the moderators quit tomorrow, they would pay. Take a look at the CEO's profile.

Robert Brisco - Forbes Over 2 million with bonuses?

Old 02-10-15, 05:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While getting paid is always nice, if moderators where on the payroll I suspect it would take some of the fun out of participating on the forums. Besides I've always sweated for every pay check I ever got and I don't sweat here

Old 02-10-15, 05:55 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I think that you may have missed the CEO's profile that I posted in post #35.

Old 02-10-15, 06:07 AM
o.k. I am being a bit political I admit it right now and I am going to paraphrase and use a good phrase for my own purposes but I think this advice is still good today. Ask not what your forum can do for you ask what you can do for your forum. The same at least in my opinion as what you would do for your neighbor in a volunteer position.

I used to volunteer at church being an usher and I never got paid and if I did it would have made it less special. I don't now because my mom is up in age and can't walk as well. I know too much religion too well it is a good example of volunteering now I am getting off of my pedestal.

Old 02-10-15, 06:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pulpo, I typed too slow and didn't get to see it until after I posted ..... but while I think many CEOs are over paid, they do work harder than I do here on the forums.

Old 02-10-15, 06:09 AM
I suspect that Robert Brisco does a whole lot more than oversee this forum. In fact, I would not be the least surprised that he doesn't even know this forum exists.

However, if someone is getting paid then I think that everyone that answers a question should get paid, and paid by the word!

Search this Thread