PBS and bad teeth

Old 02-08-15, 11:51 PM
PBS and bad teeth

Anybody ever wonder what kind of dental plan is offered to people on the various PBS shows? Specifically Adam Ried on Americas Test Kitchen and Norm Abrams on This Old House. Both of them have absolutely horrible looking front teeth. My teeth aren't all that pretty but they look beautiful compared to these two. I would be absolutely horrified to appear on national television with such bad teeth as these two.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-15, 03:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't think Obamacare has dental insurance i would think on screen appearance would be a priority, though.

Old 02-09-15, 04:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I haven't watched Norm in years and don't think I've ever seen the other show BUT IMO the work they show being done is more important than the host's appearance ..... but maybe that's just me

Old 02-09-15, 05:05 AM
Temporarily Suspended
When I was married & my wife & I were both in the same union, the dental coverage was excellent. Other than that American dental plans are the worst, with or without Obama care. I'm sure that those guys make enough money to pay a dentist. As long as we are taking about PBS hosts & their looks, Kevin O'Connor has a rash on his face that they are trying to cover with makeup. If you look closely, you'll see it on his cheek bones.

Old 02-09-15, 09:30 AM
Maybe the PBS people think they're just regular people, not Hollywood wannabes? Could be that they think what they have to offer is important but don't want to look too artificial themselves.

The great teeth on other TV people is probably more the producers' idea, or the advertisers' idea, than from good dental insurance. Except for the genetic wonders like the Osmonds!

Old 02-09-15, 09:49 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Tom Silva has a lot of drills. I'm sure that he could fix Norm's teeth.

Old 02-09-15, 10:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I used to take my grandson to the dentist and would joke with him that I had plenty of drill bits, pliers, etc, and we could skip the trip to town .... but he never took me up on that offer

Old 02-09-15, 10:28 AM
I'm sure that those guys make enough money to pay a dentist.
My point exactly! Norm looks like he hasn't been to a dentist in at least a decade. Maybe it is just tobacco stains but it looks absolutely horrible. Adam Ried is missing at least one tooth. Both of these shows are among the most watched PBS programs and while I agree that they don't need to look like Hollywood stars with artificially white teeth, neither should they look like the perennially homeless person that has nothing.

As long as we are taking about PBS hosts & their looks, Kevin O'Connor has a rash on his face that they are trying to cover with makeup.
I'm pretty sure that Kevin has rosacea, not uncommon among people with red hair.

Old 02-09-15, 10:37 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I'm pretty sure that Kevin has rosacea, not uncommon among people with red hair.
It's seborea dermatitis or something similar. Tom Silvia could fix that too.