cold morning

Old 02-15-15, 04:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
cold morning

Woke up this morning and it was 10 dropped 2 since with a high today expected in the mid 20s. The forecast for the week doesn't look to good either with tuesday's expected high of 32 being the warmest .... and I thought I lived in the south. I feel for those of you further north

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-15, 05:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Got the same thing going on even here.
Plus the winds blowing a steady 20 mph and gusting to 50 making it feel even colder.
Looking out the window the guys tarp over his boat looks like a schooner at full sale.
Guess I'm stuck in the house all week, I think it's in the bible someplace "thou shell not work outside below 40 deg."

Old 02-15-15, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator
This is horrible! I feel like I'm in the frozen tundra, lol! The wind gusts feel awful too. Now they're talking a snow storm Tuesday and then again Saturday with even colder temps at the end of the week. I really hate this.

Old 02-15-15, 05:47 AM
We've had 10 degrees or below for the past several days with intermittent snow fall. The snow fall isn't bad and the temps can be dealt with. My big beef is that the plow keeps filling my driveway apron with that heavy icy snow. I can no longer throw the snow over the mounds that have built up on either side. I've had to have my snow blower in use about six times daily over the past three fours days. So far my last fix is still holding on the damn snow blower. You can't quite see it but the mound behind the van is as high as the van.

Old 02-15-15, 05:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The sun is bright and it almost looks warm outside but the temp is now 7 and the 10 mph breeze makes it feel colder. But at least the strong winds have died down! I had to cut up one tree on the way to my mailbox yesterday and had to remove limbs in 2 different places last night when my wife got home from work. The weatherman said we had 60 mph gusts but it was pretty much constant on my hill from friday night until early this morning. While we only got a dusting last night, they are calling for 6"-10" tomorrow

Old 02-15-15, 06:06 AM
9 this morning and that is 30 warmer than yesterday am, so I'll take it. But the wind is bad, although Bangor ended up in a gap with only 1 inch so far where they forecast 12" to 18" of snow. Some areas got it, but we didn't, but not done yet.

First time in a long time that the plow crews have had to make an extra run with the blade up about 2' to cut the tops of the banks off and throw the snow farther back to make room for more. Sure hate playing blind-mans-bluff trying to pull through an intersection when you can't see what is coming.

Bud

Old 02-15-15, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator
13F here now.. Tonights not looking too good...

Tonight

Mostly clear, with a low around 0. Wind chill values as low as -20. Blustery, with a northwest wind 18 to 24 mph, with gusts as high as 36 mph.

Old 02-15-15, 06:52 AM
Between my two zones, I think my boiler ran nonstop last night. We didn't much snow, but the wind is whipping. Gusts have been between 20-30 mph at my house.

When I clear my driveway apron, I put all the snow on one side. That way when the plow comes by, it pushes the snow away from my apron. It's usually quite effective. You do have a double wide driveway, so that is a lot more work. But the snow blower should help.

Old 02-15-15, 07:19 AM
My problem with throwing the snow to one side towards the run of the plow is that the prevailing wind prevents me from doing it. Even with the power of the two stage blower the wind blows the snow right back at me. I do have admit that the snow plow guys try to do their best not bury me too much. There was a time when they didn't give a damn about the driveways or pedestrians. They would drive at breakneck speed and to hell with who was in the way. On several occasions I had to call and complain. When I told them that some kid was in danger of getting hit by the plow did they finally stop and change their ways.

Old 02-15-15, 08:12 AM
Group Moderator
The worst thing of this winter here is the lack of snow. Right now we only have about 2" of snow on the ground. This sounds like a good thing, but with no snow the frost drives deeper into the ground and this can cause septic and water lines to freeze up. If it is going to be winter, at least bring me some snow! I wish we had what the east coast has, at least I could ride my snowmobile. Next week I am going to Ely, MN to do some ice fishing.

Old 02-15-15, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator
I can't even begin to imagine how people from your neck of the woods, deal with this kind of cold on a daily basis, Tolyn! Guess it's what we're used to, and I'm not used to this whatsoever.
I'd rather be living on the left side right about now. I was just looking at Honolulu's weather forecast, and it's going to be in the 80's all week! Dreaming and wishing! :HF2:

Old 02-15-15, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator
I sympathize with all of you. Larry may be in trouble too. Heard a report of a sleet and snow storm going to hit the South tonite.

I won't even rub it in that we are having record temps in the high 70's here and 80's in the river cities. Well, I won't rub it in TOO much anyway.

Old 02-15-15, 08:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's been like summer here for more than two weeks.

Question if you don't mind:
Everybody here complains about how expensive CA is, which is true..... What is a typical monthly charge for heat when it is constantly cold?? Uh, very cold.

I imagine it's not cheap.

Old 02-15-15, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator
Well, depends on whether you have gas, electric or oil heat (I think electric is the priciest AFAIK) and what the rates are, any given year. This year not too bad. I have gas and my last bill was $190 and the month before that was $130. Not too bad. A few years back it was $500! I think they hiked the rate up to get some of the money back from people that weren't paying, but that was nipped in the bud real fast. I'd imagine those that live farther north pay more.

Old 02-15-15, 09:09 AM
Tolyn -

I understand your comments. Virtually no real snow on the ground and none under my Blue Spruce where I feed the ground-feeding birds. Half of my patio (north facing walk-out) is bare despite having more snow than our normal 48" annually. Somehow the snow seems to disappear slowly, day by day.

The cold really brings the clear skies and the sun the eats away at the snow without melting. Yesterday, on the streets (almost bare) you could seem some melting and water evaporating quickly.

Mother Earth also gets rid of the snow from below since she does not go by the "code" frost line for buildings. In the extreme north of MN, I waded through 18" of snow to put in a stake of surveying and found a 1" or so soft crust of snow covering the unfrozen soil. - that was after about a month of -10 to -30 every night.

Dick

Old 02-15-15, 09:38 AM
The ground in front of my basement doors has heaved a good 6". I can't get them open now. I am going to have to make it a priority this summer to make sure I get that fixed. I need to get some plywood into my shop at some point and I don't know how it will happen.

I'm on budget billing for natural gas right now. We use it for heat, hot water, stove, and dryer. My monthly budget amount is $95. The non budget amount for last month was $182. Right now electricity for me is $.10 per kwh, Natural gas is about $.92 per therm. What do you pay in CA for electricity and water?

Old 02-15-15, 10:17 AM
Here in Western New York, my gas bill is about $80 to $100 a month during cold months. But I also had a new furnace put in several years ago. A lot depends on how old a home is and what kind of insulation was installed at the time. Taxes on services and utilities is a killer in New York State.

Old 02-15-15, 10:55 AM
Larry may be in trouble too.
Yep. 12 this morning in the Enchanted Valley. Expecting up to 5" of the S word, then possibly 2" of ice on that the day after. It will be fun to see what my cabin guests are planning. It is sun shiny now and mid 20's. They arrive in an hour and have been warned they will need to bring food for a few days, as descending the mountain will not be possible under power.

Old 02-15-15, 11:54 AM
Group Moderator
I can't even begin to imagine how people from your neck of the woods, deal with this kind of cold on a daily basis, Tolyn!
Funny thing is a buddy and I play disc golf one day each week through out the year unless it gets below 0 degrees. I was outside today pumping gas and thought it wasn't too bad. Got in the car and it showed 6 above. Its all what you get used to I guess, and the wearing of heavy boots, mittens, and lined jeans.

Old 02-15-15, 11:55 AM
How cold is it? I haven't seen anybody remove their Christmas light decorations yet. It'll be June before we get the chance. I did unplug mine but their still hanging from the gutters. Many people are keeping them lit just so they have something at night.

Old 02-15-15, 12:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Doesn't look like it's going to make it to the mid twenties here, currently 18 Wind isn't too bad but it's still cold for around here. Not looking forward to the snow that's coming especially since it may be a week or longer before it leaves. As some of you know I have a mountain driveway that is on the north side of the hill.

Sure hate playing blind-mans-bluff trying to pull through an intersection when you can't see what is coming.
I grew up in snow country but that was a long time ago do the gas stations still give their customers those orange styrofoam balls to go on the antenna? or do not enough cars have antennas on the front fender anymore?

Old 02-15-15, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator
5f now... getting hit again with snow monday and tuesday... Windy as heck out... sounds like a freight train...

Bring on the snow....LOL

Here is a clip of the storm....

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/B95Uk7oIcAAAGBY.mp4

Old 02-15-15, 09:12 PM
Group Moderator
Old 02-15-15, 09:46 PM
Around here about a little half past midnight it is 8 degrees and during the day it isn't supposed to get much warmer. They say all this week it will be cold and not get warmer until next Saturday when they say it will be 35 degrees.

We are not too happy with our power company it is going through a merger and you know what that usually means higher bills although they will say otherwise. Just recently we had an electric bill of $170.00 for 42 days and it usually is just billed for 30 days. They say it was just done temporarily and a one time thing but you never know for sure. We were lucky though one person on the news complained about a $300.00 bill.

Old 02-16-15, 05:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's warmer this morning than it was at anytime yesterday, currently 20 and it's suppose to warm up close to 30 BUT it's also supposed to start snowing around lunch time and not quit until tomorrow morning

Guess I better make sure to load plenty of firewood on the porch!

Old 02-16-15, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator
well made it to 0f last night... Had heat set to 72f downstairs and just sat at 70f all night. Mind you I have the boiler temp down to 160f water temp..

The boiler cycles on and off... ( Its big enough at 85K btu) LOL.. If it got any colder in the home I would of raised the boiler temp to 170-180F.

Additionally upstairs was set at 70f and maintained 69F through the night... Just sitting there with the heat icon blinking away... he he..

I wonder how all others heating systems are making out with mostly intended design temps here in the east of around 10F...( In NJ anyway)

Old 02-16-15, 07:10 AM
Woke up to -20F this morning, confirmed by radio (-27 in neighboring community) & car readout. By mutual agreement my dog gets very short walks when it's this cold. So far everything is holding up to the extreme chill--except something on a shelf in the (unheated) garage the wife heard hissing. It was done by the time I could investigate.
Work I did to my furnace last winter is holding up nicely, thank God.

Poor car sounded like every bearing was dry when started at 0530 this morning. Never heard so much whining & racket under the hood.

Weatherman sez more of the same most of the week.

Old 02-16-15, 07:28 AM
Group Moderator
Wow, thunder-snow. That guy needs to calm down. What a noob.

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 02-16-15 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-16-15, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator
It was 0 this morning and right now it's a toasty 13! Snow tonight, then more crazy cold the end of the week.
I usually take my dog for a very long morning walk, but it's very short walks for us, too. 5 or 10 minutes, is all I can take.

Old 02-16-15, 11:08 AM
Group Moderator
I noticed ads for the Florida Keys on TV last night. I'll bet their running them back to back up there.

Old 02-16-15, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah, that and the Bahamas!

Old 02-16-15, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator
Try the USVI...what a beautiful place.

Old 02-16-15, 11:30 AM
After last year I consider this one almost balmy. Few cool days then warmer like it is supposed to be. I have 17.8 right now and no wind.

The worst thing of this winter here is the lack of snow.
Exactly, maybe 6" up here. It should be law that the last day of November we get 2-3 feet and be done with it.

Next week I am going to Ely, MN to do some ice fishing.
Better bring the extension for your auger, plenty of ice.

Old 02-16-15, 03:08 PM
Group Moderator
Guess the snowbirds will be staying around a bit longer this year, like until Memorial Day.

Old 02-16-15, 03:17 PM
Was wonderin' when you would come in from the pool and comment Hope it wasn't too tiring for you. And you can keep them until July 4th if you want.

Old 02-16-15, 03:45 PM
Group Moderator
Tolyn, we were in Minneapolis this weekend and I was also pretty surprised by the lack of snow up there. I think we have more wind blown snow left in the ditches than you do!

Better get used to the cold...

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/basicwx/day0-7loop.html

7+ days of polar vortex the way it looks another big shot of cold is right behind this one!

The thunder snow video made me laugh too... I wonder if that white powder blowing around was something OTHER than snow...

Sheesh, it's not that exciting. lol

Last edited by XSleeper; 02-16-15 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-16-15, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator
Is this wrong to post????? ..........LOLOL

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46604[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 02-17-15, 04:48 AM
No it's not wrong. I love cold eating ice anytime of year.

Old 02-17-15, 09:04 AM
Group Moderator
Supposed to be low of 33 Thursday night/Friday am; lowest temp so far this winter. Been above average winter temps.