what to expect.

Old 02-15-15, 10:27 AM
what to expect.

Tomorrow I'm taking a drive from Buffalo, Ny to Lebanon, Pa. Coming back on Wednesday. Anybody want to comment on what to expect in terms of road and weather conditions along the way? I'll be taking Ny 17 then onto US 15 through Pa.
Info will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-15, 10:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Where is the origination point in Buffalo? I used to travel that way on a regular basis to East Aurora. Took 20A to 390 to 17 (86) to 15 and then south towards Virginia. If you are planning to take the 219 down to Olean, it may not be the fastest route, and the Olean route always slammed me with a lake effect storm. Keep your wits about you when you get to Williamsport PA as the only route is directly through the city. Do to the mountains, there are not a lot of alternate routes. I think your one way trip was what ours would normally call the halfway mark. Also, around Mansfield PA on route 15, if you have an older GPS (ours is a Garmen nuvi), it doesn't recognize the route on the map. 20 miles or "recalculating" - just stay on 15, eventually it will pick up the route. I think it is called the "future rt 99 corridor".

Old 02-15-15, 11:50 AM
Czizzi

I'll be leaving from West Seneca. Taking route 20A. The worst part of that section in the Warsaw area. And yes, the 390 to 17 then US 15 just as you say. I try and stay away from the 219. Very treacherous. My GPS is an older TOMTOM and the rerouting of 15 as it enters PA is always searching. Correct about the "Future 99 Corridor", (Interesting history about that...only Interstate route that won't conform to the "rules" because some Senator wanted his way and got it). The Williamsport area has never been a problem for me, but I am concerned about some of those mountain roads before and after. It seems the storm skirted most of the state of PA so I'm confident that I'll be OK. And you're correct about keeping one's wits about you as you drive those roads. I'll be driving our Ford Focus and not the van.

Our halfway point is approximately at the Surplus Outlet (Surplus Outlet - About Us). My wife insist we stop there so she can stock up on food that we can't get at the prices they have. She fills that car to capacity. She's like a kid in a candy store.

This time we are bringing the dog so our veterinarian daughter can do a complete work up on him.

Old 02-15-15, 12:19 PM
Try this link: WunderMap® | Interactive Weather Map and Radar | Weather Underground

Click the trips tab on the right. Should give you weather info along your route. I would expect things to be ok on Monday. The next storm is supposed to be on Tuesday.

Old 02-15-15, 01:44 PM
Droo, I like this. I'll make sure I have this on the ready on cell phone.

Search this Thread