sign-in difficulty

Old 02-18-15, 02:13 AM
sign-in difficulty

The Moen pop-up ad is at it again.
When I click on the little man to sign in, moen covers my attempt to click on log-in.
They have done this before and should be removed as advertisers or the technician responsible FIRED.

FF and vista
Bud

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-15, 03:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you use Ad Block Plus with FF??

Old 02-18-15, 05:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I never sign out/in just close or open the browser. That's how I've done it from day one and have never had any issues.

Old 02-18-15, 05:17 AM
Larry, no ad block.
Mark, I have never ever had a choice to remain signed in. It even signs me out when I'm slow at typing a response.

My work around is to select today's posts and select an thread. I can then see an option to log-in.

But I have to wonder how many people just move on. Participation on this forum has noticeable declined and I don't believe it is all due to competition. Whatever is causing this for me, be it something my computer saves in a cookie (not that I understand any of it) or some interaction between my software and the forum, the technicians who load this stuff are supposed to know.

I'll test my picture loading skills and see if I can capture a screen shot of what I get.

Bud

Old 02-18-15, 05:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I wouldn't be on the forum if I didn't have Ad Block Plus with FF. I can't stand advertisements on ANY site. Slows it down terribly and clicking on an ad is too easy if your mouse is touchy as mine is.

Old 02-18-15, 05:25 AM
Well, either someone read my post or the moen ad was just rotated out. Went to get the screen shot and no moen, good riddance.

Whoever?? Thanks
Bud

Old 02-18-15, 05:59 AM
Bud, Please don't knock the sponsors. They do help pay the bill. I also don't like pop-ups. You're difficulty is on your side not the site. Something changed in your browser and you need to go into the options and check it. FF updates tend to go back to defaults. Also if you aren't using things like Adblock and/or Ghostery you're only adding to your problems. If you need a walk through on your browser settings give us your version and we can set you up.

Old 02-18-15, 06:26 AM
I hear the same explanations every time and I expect the technicians to know what those problems are and avoid them. If it is my computer, then why is it only that one advertiser that does this? Ads are written to place themselves in layers, either in front of or behind what is already there, thus the people who wrote that script are, IMO, to blame. If advertisers want me to look at their ads they need to stop ticking me off.

I followed Larry's advice and loaded the ad blocker plus and will see if that helps for the overall performance. At some point everyone is going to block every ad, so those who rely on sponsors and the advertisers themselves need to find better ways to present their products. I remember the days when people would run back to the tv to see the VW advertisements because they were enjoyable. Today advertisers, all to often, just use the very annoying "in-your-face" approach. Well, whatever other ads now don't make it through the ad blocker can thank this advertiser or whoever is responsible for this third go around with blocking content, for my choice.

Bud

Old 02-18-15, 06:31 AM
Group Moderator
I hate the ads that become the active window when you accidentally "mouse over" them... and the ones that sneakily put a "more info" icon in the upper right corner, where you would usually expect the X to close the window.

Ad Aware is a big help. Plus, I like to hold the ctrl key and then turn my scroll wheel until those ads on the right side are pushed right off my screen!

Old 02-18-15, 11:40 AM
I, too am logged out every time I close my browser. It happens on all sites that require a log-in and it is because of the way I have my FF browser configured. I don't remember all of the settings but at least one of them is because I have it set to dump all cookies every time Firefox closes. I do this to make certain that someone can't start up my computer and get into any of my interactive sites without a password.

There IS a work-around but I don't off hand remember how. Something has to be temporarily disabled and then log in. After this you can go back to the safer setting and it will remember the sites where you have the modifications. I was able to do this with the crossword puzzle sites and it works well for me.

Maybe one of the guys that is more computer literate can give a better explanation

Old 02-18-15, 11:51 AM
Hi Furd,
Mine is quirky which doesn't seem to follow a setting being the issue. I can go for hours reading on other sites and return and I'm still logged in. Other times just a couple minutes of typing and when I hit reply it comes back with some not allowed reply. I scramble to be sure I have the post saved (even though the new save function sometimes catches it) and re-load and sign in again.

I don't play on a lot of other forums, but where I do I don't have the problems I have here. Logic says this site is doing something different.

So far the ad blocker for FF hasn't created any strange problems and does seem a bit faster. Unknown what ads I'm not seeing but that is all the better. Thanks to all for weighing in, I'm calming down a bit.

Bud

Old 02-18-15, 12:08 PM
Bud, as long as I don't completely close my browser (Firefox) I can visit any other site I desire and still come back here and be logged in. I can do it by directly going to the other sites or by use of tabs and it makes no difference. If I don't close the browser but even if I put the computer in sleep mode for two days I remain logged in.

What you describe sounds to me like you are not checking the "remember me" box when you initially sign in. If you do not check that box there is a timer (on this site) that automatically logs you out, even if you are typing a response. That has happened to me many times so I ALWAYS check the "remember me" box when signing in.

Old 02-18-15, 12:57 PM
I see a "remember me" box, but I always associated that with bringing up my user name and password, which already pops up when I click on user name. But no "remind me" box. I guess I'm not sure of the function of the "remember me" box.

Bud

Old 02-18-15, 01:06 PM
The "remember me" box is site specific and it disables the timed log off from the site. That your user name and password fills in automatically is the saved passwords function of the browser located under the tools tab. (Tools>options>security)