Talk about the cold.

Old 02-19-15, 08:19 AM
Talk about the cold.

For the last week or so, as long as we've had these frigid cold days I've heard occasional load bangs in my garage. I kept thinking something fell but every inspection showed nothing. Everything works fine, garage doors and openers, cars starting, etc...Today as I was taking dog out for his morning duty I was standing inside the man way door with dog on a leash. When all of a sudden I thought someone took a shot at me. I instinctively ducked. Our neighborhood is a typical suburban area and that kind of thing would be very unusual. After my initial shock I did some investigation and discovered several cases of canned carbonated water were hidden behind some boxes. Boy when it burst it's loud. So far about seven cans have burst.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-15, 08:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Growing up as a kid in the north I've seen colder weather but I can't get over it getting this cold in tenn. It's made it all the way up to 3 so far today, it's almost a full time job keeping the animals with unfrozen water. I've lived here for close to 24 yrs and while we occasionally flirt with zero temps, it's generally a one night event years apart. Slightly below zero this morning and supposed to be colder tonight we also had a below zero night last year - can someone explain global warming to me!!

Old 02-19-15, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator
Funny story, lol!
Yeah, this cold is something else. It's not normal for Philly, either. Should be in the mid 40's this time of year.
Actually, global warming alway leads to an ice age. It's the waters that are too warm, that cause all the problems.

Old 02-20-15, 06:37 AM
OK enough is enough! This morning my eye's started tearing due to the cold and froze on my face.

Old 02-20-15, 07:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, I woke up to -5 with it dropping to -9 when the sun came up. Someof the news shows are talking about how cold it is up north and then quoting temps warmer than what we have
Looks like I might have to get under the house to thaw out the cold water supply to the tub as it decided to freeze up sometime in the last hour or so

Old 02-20-15, 07:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As Forrest Gump put it, stupid is as stupid does, or something like that. We had guests leave the cabin yesterday afternoon. It was 4 degrees before they left, and 6 last night. However, I wanted as much protection at the cabin with no one in it as I could, so I switched off the well pump and the water heater, just in case a pipe were to burst. I haven't looked yet, but in turning the breaker off in the cabin rather than pulling the disconnect at the well head, I turned off the heat system to the well house. I have the heat system wired ahead of the disconnect, so it is probably all frozen this morning. I'll check it when it warms up..........in a few days.

Old 02-20-15, 08:58 AM
OWCH! ________________________________________________________

Old 02-20-15, 12:08 PM
When I went to sleep late last night it was 5 degrees and when I looked at the weather bug just now it said that the low was 3 degrees. Now at 3:00p.m. it is 16 degrees when it should be somewhere around 40 as a normal high. We don't have a garage but do have an addition on our house and a plumbing pipe that goes to a hose bib that has burst before. So I certainly hope that hasn't happened but I have heard creaking noises at night that sounds like it is coming from the addition. A little problem though compared to a pump house problem I hope everything is fine for you Larry.

Old 02-20-15, 12:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Out high so far for today is 14 but with the sun and lack of wind it's one of the warmer feeling days we've had since last week

One of the things I like about north east tenn is the snow/cold is always short lived - what happened?

Old 02-20-15, 12:33 PM
We had -24 this morning, and the highest it's been up until now, just after 3:00 in the afternoon, is 9. But that's 9 with a + in front of it, so we're good! I read at noon time that the average overnight low for the state, Michigan, was -18, and a town a couple hours north of us hit -39, which they compared to the north pole at -44. Looking forward to tomorrow. I got volunteered to taking 30 high schoolers into Detroit to do some light construction work, but heard this week that the bigger concern might be digging out some of the hydrants, so I hope they behave themselves while I find a warm spot to hang out!.

Old 02-20-15, 01:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
God watches out for fools and drunks, and I don't drink. SO, I went to the cabin, pulled the disconnect on the pump, shut down valves and turned the breaker back on. I noticed it was chilly in the cabin. I had turned off the air handler and water heater instead of the pump. Pump and pipes were fine. It had only gotten down to 36 in the cabin, and under it I have light bulbs for heat in the crawl. Happy camper after all

Old 02-20-15, 01:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got by with no damage!
Now if we can only get some of the warm weather we are supposed to have!

Search this Thread