Minor rant

Old 03-01-15, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator
Minor rant

I know there has been discussions about the home improvement shows on TV and how some things are just ridiculous that they do or show or that the time frames are unworkable.

Well, how about radio home improvement shows? Some of those are even worse. Used to be a good local one back in VA and the guy was spot on with everything he said.

I've been listening to a talk channel when I'm in the garage and every Sunday there is a show called The Money Pit. Hosted by a guy and gal. Supposedly he's some sort of contractor/home inspector and she's an advanced DIY'r/house flipper I think.

Last week she recommended using WD-40 in locks to prevent freezing and make them easier to turn. This week, the guy just told a condo owner who had cracks between ceiling and wall in one room to use mesh tape and SPACKLE! Spackle! Not joint compound.

There are other things I've heard which are just so obviously bad advice that I just dumped it out of my brain cause it made me dumber than I already am.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-15, 09:53 AM
I think one of the sad parts to all of the flipping/fixing shows is they have lured a ton of people into thinking they can buy/fix/sell these repossessed homes and get rich on everyone. The type of mistakes you are pointing out get repeated, put into videos, and an entire generation has been corrupted. "I watched a video and now I'm an expert" or "as seen on tv" has become the preferred learning approach.

I'm waiting for the followup investigations that look at all of the flips that fall apart a few years after someone buys the pretty paint.

Bud

Old 03-01-15, 10:27 AM
I have to agree. Shows like Holmes on Homes particularly bother me. They give the viewer the impression that 95% of contractors don't care, and that every job should be done above and beyond. It is great to build things with an extra level of quality and materials, but we all know when a homeowner is presented with a price to "do it right" (Holmes style) and the price to do it to code, they will look at you like you have three heads and go with the lower price every time.

In my opinion, most homeowners are responsible themselves for the shotty work that goes on because they are always looking for the cheapest route, and that usually means someone who is working out of the back of their truck with no formal education.

If you are looking for a good radio show with proper advice, check out Jon on CJAD 800AM in Montreal

Old 03-01-15, 10:33 AM
Group Moderator
Is it possible he meant Joint Compound and just used "Spackle" as a generic term? Some people use terms like all the time on the job. The biggest one is "mud" which can mean anything from joint compound, to concrete, to thinset.

But I do agree with you and TV shows. Some of the electrical stuff I see are major code violations.

Old 03-01-15, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
That's possible TI, but I think I heard him say it before when it was a complete re-do of the sheetrock walls.

I've never heard a Pro use spackle when they meant joint compound. Yes, mud you hear all the time for different things (thinset, plaster, etc), but never in reference to spackle...at least I never have.

It just irks me.

As to the Holmes thing Keith... Hey, the homeowners aren't paying the full cost. Mike picks up some, the TV show pays some, and the owner pays a relatively small amount for extreme quality work. If we all had that choice, I imagine we'd choose that option too. I've never had any work done by a contractor (though my 2nd Ex- did at our last house) and it was a fair bid and done above and beyond code for a spa deck and deck extension to the existing builders deck. Of course it was a college kid studying to be an architect who did it in the summer with his buddies to have spending money. Quality workmanship all the way. Way better than what I saw done at some neighbors houses by "Pro" contractors.

Old 03-01-15, 11:09 AM
Group Moderator
I agree, I have never heard a pro say, or use, Spackle.

Old 03-01-15, 11:17 AM
You are right, The show does pick up most of the costs, I just have a problem with the way it is presented, as if every contractor should be doing it at that level of quality, and the cost should remain the same. They never talk about how much extra the cost is to do it the way they do compare to standard building practices.

Myself, I always build to a better grade, but at some point you have to stop and ask what is reasonable given the extra cost. Most homeowners don't understand the differences in materials and methods you are using, and even if you do explain it to them, few are willing to pay double the price to have the work done at that quality level.

Old 03-01-15, 11:47 AM
Temporarily Suspended
It's the WD40 thing that gets me the most. It's main purpose is a rust buster. In the automotive field, CRC was always preferred. I still see CRC products but not their rust buster. PB Blaster is better than WD40. The worst thing was when Prevention Magazine, supposedly for health recommended WD40 to be sprayed on your knees to help arthritis.

This Old House (Kevin) made a mistake once when he recommended Typs S mortar mix to patch those 100 year old stone foundations after showing 5 different choices of cement, mortar mixes & concrete mix & saying that you don't want the mix to be harder than the original foundation.

Old 03-01-15, 12:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I stopped watching those shows years ago as they have no redeeming value to me. They only seem to annoy with the short cuts and smoke screens put up to make things look easier than they really are. Everyone I know who has attempted a substantial DIY project always seems to want my seal of approval. I try to stay politically correct and merely mention that if they are happy with it then so am I. Because if I mentioned my true feelings, I would probably lose some friends.

My neighbor is the type that if you look in his shop at all the tools (top of the line) you would think that this guy is a true craftsman. Of the things he has built, I believe he has double vision, two left hands and a 2nd hand blooper tape measure that is only accurate to the foot. But he is a good neighbor and that is all that counts. He calls on me when ever he has a stumbling block during one of his projects. So,....I always know when he is working on something.

Old 03-01-15, 12:48 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Is he the guy who just joined this forum? I think he was here before.

Old 03-01-15, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator
Actually Z, I don't watch many either. The radio shows are just noise in the background. I do kind of like that American Handyman show. Mike is on that one as well, but the tests they have to do are all well within a DIY skill set. Hang a door, install a window, build a fence, sheetrock a wall, build a doghouse kind of stuff. Of course they have set material and time to do it which is a stress builder.

Old 03-01-15, 03:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I didn't even know there were any talk diy home improvement shows

Like most of us, I don't watch many of them and when I do it's for entertainment not to learn anything useful

Z, about 25 yrs ago I repainted a huge 3 bedroom house on a lake. The homeowner had turned his 3 car garage into a wood shop, had all kinds of woodworking tools that I could only dream about. I discovered a 6" return on the baseboard that needed replacing so he went to every lumber yard in the county looking for one stick that matched ... and found none. When I asked why didn't he just make one, he replied "you can do that??"

He also had 2 boats; a cheap little john boat that he put in the water every week and a $25k bass boat that he tried to put in the water once every year

Old 03-01-15, 04:39 PM
I watch This Old House, Hometime and Today's Homeowner with Danny Lipford. TOH has nothing for the DIYer and I watch it mostly to get my heart rate up by screaming at the TV. Hometime is going the way of TOH by no longer doing DIY-friendly jobs but huge high-cost remodels or new builds. Ask TOH is okay except for the "What Is It?" segment which is almost always incredibly stupid.

That leaves Today's Homeowner which is about fifty percent advertising and fifty percent things that an average homeowner can actually use. I used to watch HouseSmarts with Lou Manfredini but that one is about 98% advertising and then Ron Hazelton's House Calls which more often than not has Ron hiring a contractor rather than show how it is done by an amateur.

Old 03-03-15, 10:50 PM
What about the show rehab addict. She does allot of stuff herself and even re-uses allot of items. I like holmes makes it right(his current show).

Old 03-04-15, 03:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I do like the rehab addict show but she either doesn't show a lot of the proper prep needed for a good paint job or skips that part I've also not seen any mention on her shows concerning lead paint and the age of the houses she works on means they would have lead paint! I do like that she re uses stuff rather than just tear out and throw away along with keeping the original character of the homes.

Search this Thread