Great follow up and communication!

Old 03-04-15, 04:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great follow up and communication!

Recently we had a spat of extreme cold for my neck of the woods, it was going to hit 5 below zero. Now Not to discount others who have been in double digit negative numbers, but highly unusual for around here in Southeast Virginia. My Boat sits in a Marina, in the water and through out the winter, I was monitoring temperatures and water temperatures to make sure that the block did not freeze. Now, salt water freezes at a lower temp than regular water (why they put salt on snow covered roads).

Long story short, when I got wind of the below zero temps, I panicked and ran to the marina and asked if they had time to winterize my boat. It was Monday, and the weather was to hit on Thursday. I said, if you can not get to it by Wednesday, LET ME KNOW, I will come up and get some antifreeze in the engine. Well, it snowed Tuesday, they closed the Marina and nobody returned until Friday!!! No body contacted me that they were shutting down. I assumed all was take care of......

I'm really annoyed as I don't know to what extent my motor may be damaged. Got a call the following Monday that the lines had ice in them (well no sh!t Sherlock). He said the lines had "slush" in them. The freeze plugs did not blow.

We took the hoses off, put a heater in there to melt everything. How bad do we think this will be? Looking at a $13,000 re-power... Anyone want a nice boat?

Thanks for the call or email that you are shutting down for the week. Really appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-15, 04:20 PM
Group Moderator
If there was slush then the freeze wasn't complete.

Don't you just winterize automatically at the end of the season ?

Old 03-04-15, 04:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The weather around here is really goofy. You could have 60 degree weather into January. Even though I don't use it after say October, there is always the "possibility" that I will go out striper fishing when the water gets cold enough. Granted I've never done this, but I really want to so I hold out hope that my schedule and some friends will work out. Never does,

If the Marina charged $20 to winterize it would be a no brainer, but it costs over $100 so it lends itself to a pause in your thinking.

Boats are nothing but money pits.

Name:  New Boat.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  40.9 KB

Old 03-04-15, 04:36 PM
I dunno czizzi for all of your great knowledge I'm surprised you don't normally take precautions in winter for the boat. In spite of what past history says and you're longing to to go stripper fishing even though you never yet done it. This one is on you. However, since the plugs didn't blow and only slush was found I'd say a good flushing of the lines and a good tune up will put in back in good waters.

Last edited by Norm201; 03-04-15 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-04-15, 06:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You are right Norm, it falls on me. But when you hire someone for a specific task, you need to follow through. If the marina could not perform, the specific directions were to contact me to let me know. I have not made a big stink with the owners yet, and I don't want to get anyone in trouble, but my request when I wrote up the work order was specific as the weather was dire and pending. Least I should have got is a "we can't get to it" call, which did not happen.

Old 03-04-15, 06:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Bad scene, Z. Hopefully there was no long lasting damage. I found out, too, boats are a hole in the water into which you pour your hard earned money.

Old 03-05-15, 04:27 AM
My eldest has a boat. Poured lots of money into it over the past two years. He's disgusted. Plans on buying another one!!!??????

Old 03-05-15, 06:46 AM
I'm curious if this is a gated marina and if their closing prevented everyone from accessing their boats to take action?

Sounds like the temps didn't fall far enough/long enough THIS time. How about a thermostatically-controlled block heater every December as a precaution so you can sleep better? Do they allow shore power connection when unattended?

Old 03-05-15, 07:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not gated, only monitored 24/7 with video surveillance. Just meant that no live person was on during regular business hours. We all have access codes to let us in to use the facilities/showers if needed.

They mentioned that certain kinds of heaters are not allowed, so I have to get more specifics. The bigger boats that sit in the water year round stay tethered to shore power all the time. I don't have A/C or any other on board items requiring electricity (water heaters and such). So I only hook up to shore power when I want to run a vacuum cleaner or power tools.

Search this Thread