Fun in the Snow

Old 03-05-15, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator
Fun in the Snow

NOT! We're one of the lucky ones that were in the bulleye.
8" and counting. Then 20's tomorrow. Sigh!!!!!

Spring can't come soon enough!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-15, 01:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
We're having Washington State weather for the next week. 60's and rain every day. Sucks at best. IF you wear snow boots and flip flops in the same week, you live in the South

Old 03-05-15, 01:29 PM
Group Moderator
We're working on six inches or so here in NJ. :Peeping On U2: The fun is long gone.

Old 03-05-15, 01:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It started raining last night and melted the last of the snow the weatherman said the rain would turn to snow somewhere between 4 and 8 this morning with an expected 2"-4" of snow. Thankfully it's still raining, if all this rain had been snow it would probably be a foot deep

also waiting on spring's arrival

Old 03-05-15, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah Mark! That snow you were supposed to get, came up here instead! We were supposed to get a lot less. Oh well.

Old 03-05-15, 02:12 PM
Meanwhile, in Michigan, under bright sunshine, our afternoon high of 16 degrees feels almost balmy. I read earlier this week that our average temperature last month was 14 degrees, and we got over two feet of snow, but something like 16" came at one time so not too bad around here. Makes me cringe a bit though for people in some parts of the country that probably aren't as prepared for what they have gotten this winter.

Old 03-05-15, 04:02 PM
Eh pedro, I'm just east of you on the east end of Lake Erie. And although we're cold our weather is evening out. I'll pretty much get what you're getting in a day or two later.

Old 03-05-15, 04:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Boy what a difference a couple of hours make. The rain has slowed to a drizzle but the temps have dropped After I came in, had supper and cleaned up I had to go to the funeral parlor to pay my respects to one of the neighbors and everything was iced over!! Took me 10 minutes to get the ice off of my jeep's windshield and it's a little difficult to walk [without slipping/falling] The roads aren't too bad yet although I did spin some coming up my driveway. Glad I won't need to get out and about in the morning

Old 03-05-15, 05:16 PM
So Norm, compared to some of the extremes in KY, TN, VA, and along the upper east coast, I'm guessing that you're sort of like we are this winter; pretty much "average" or "normal"? Overall, we've been a bit colder than usual, but nothing dramatic, and our snowfall has not been anything to stand out. It seems like we may have broken a few more overnight low temperatures this year, but I don't put much stock in that because they're looking at specific dates, so it's just a matter of say past March 5th's just happening to not be as cold as this night might be. I think the biggest thing this year and last is the strong sustained cold freezing the Great Lakes significantly beyond normal, which reduces our lake effect snow here, and forces the cold air and whatever moisture we do have farther south where it mixes with the relatively normal flow from the gulf, and turns th southern rainy season to snowy season.

Old 03-05-15, 06:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Wednesday, here in Monroe, La it was right at 70 degrees..... Wednesday night, it was in the 20's with sleet, freezing rain & some very light snow. My company closed today (Thursday) because the overpass near work was closed due to ice, so I didnt go to work at all & my wife's company didnt open until noon.

My point.... 70 at 4 pm, then in the 20's with sleet & freezing rain that night with overpass's closed by the state.

Louisiana... you gotta love it. I'll just be glad when this winter weather is over. This is two winters in a row that has been long, wet & cold. I'm about ready to head south....

Old 03-05-15, 07:53 PM
pedro, This has been a tougher winter than usual, but normal as compared to rest of nation. Our big snow buster was the Snovember Storm (no that's not a typo). That was extreme. But it melted and then the next wave came along just like the rest of the country got. But overall I think New England got slammed.

Old 03-05-15, 08:10 PM
Not bad in MN. -

About 12" below average for snow so far this winter and about 2" on the ground with a lot of green and brown showing in scattered areas. The streets are almost bare curb to curb. It will be about 0F tonight and 35F tomorrow with clear skies and a lot of sun to evaporate the snow.

It will be O.K. until we get a typical 8" to 12" dump of March wet snow to create a mess. After that is always the possiblity of an April or May snow "dump".

The NW winds ("Alberta clippers")have been good to keep the problems snows away and direct them to the E. and SE. I put my SUV into 4W auto once this year to make sure it worked.

Dick

Old 03-06-15, 04:28 AM
Group Moderator
You just knew I couldn't stay away from this thread, right?

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 91
Size:  35.9 KB

Old 03-06-15, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator
Yes TG, always rubbing it in!

Looks like a white wonderland today. Almost 9" worth! What a mess to walk in. And feels like a January morning, too. Boo!!!
On the bright side, next week is looking a lot better. Still below average, but a major improvement from this week.

Old 03-06-15, 09:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
T G What took you so long? Shaking sand out of your swim trunks?

Old 03-06-15, 10:32 AM
I read this week that the Arthur Anderson, a 700+ feet behemoth of the Great Lakes, finally put to port in Wisconsin for the winter after a trip from Indiana got stopped by ice about 3 miles short from its' scheduled destination in Ohio. I imagine that it's been a little cold on board that lady for the past few months, with nothing but solid ice for miles around.

Old 03-06-15, 03:40 PM
This snow can't melt fast enough! Sledding isn't even fun any more