Question for painters and landlords...

Old 03-18-15, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator
Question for painters and landlords...

Why the heck would a painter not remove the wall plates before re-painting a property? I mean, just run out the screws and drop them on the floor right below.

I just spent 2 hours taking plates down to remove the handwritten labels that told what switch was what (remember, this place was wired by monkeys). I had to cut the paint seal on half of them to make sure I didn't peel back a strip off the wall.

Is this common?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-15, 03:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think it depends on how conscientious the painter is. Often landlords look for the cheapest painter and not everyone that paints for a living is a pro I've almost always remove the switch plates and throw them in a bucket. Reinstalling the screws back into the device insures that they don't get lost.

Old 03-19-15, 03:37 AM
More common than you think. Reflects the laziness of landlord or resident. Our break room is painted like that.

Old 03-19-15, 03:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What really bugs me is when someone either gets paint on the plates [or anything else they shouldn't] and don't wipe it off or remove the plates and then paint the receptacle

Old 03-19-15, 05:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've had a painter do that to me once.
He claimed he was a painter not an electrition.
Well so much for that thought, he may be a painter, but not for me anymore.
I've seen him on other peoples jobs use blue tape around a door knob instead of removing it, paint a metal door Hunter green that was in direct sun with a full view storm. Which distroyed the door.

Old 03-19-15, 06:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Lazy is all it is. It would require someone to return later in the day to re-install after the paint has dried. It takes longer to cut around a cover than to remove and slap some paint around an open outlet or switch.

However, it is an immediate red flag to me that disqualifies them from my potential pool of subs.

Old 03-19-15, 07:05 AM
Group Moderator
Yep, you get what you pay for - our 'painter' isn't a painter, he's just some guy the boss found who was willing to paint for what the boss was willing to pay.

Old 03-19-15, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah, you all touched on a few other things I noticed and will address later. Paint all over hinges, doorknobs, and rosettes. Also on the back splash and cabinet sides.

I have a bunch of hinges that I kept from the other place when I swapped brass to satin nickel, unfortunately, only 3 had the right radius. Also noticed they must have replaced the front door at some point...and never painted it. BM and frame is still that beige primer and door is the typical flat white.

Old 03-19-15, 11:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It takes longer to cut around a cover than to remove and slap some paint around an open outlet or switch.
I disagree, not removing the covers would save a small amount of time BUT that doesn't make it right .... especially if you value your reputation!

Vic, I know it's hard to look at things done wrong but at the end of the day - you're still the renter or do you have deal with the landlord to reimburse you for the improvements you make?

Old 03-19-15, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
Only a few things might be reimbursed or taken off the rent. Insulating the garage door...totally for me. Replacing the 15 y/o smokes...also for me. I didn't trust them. Replaced the old inaccurate mercury stat with a decent Honeywell, but I kept the old one so I'll either swap them if I leave sooner than expected. That 4-5 degree swing on the old one was just unacceptable, comfort wise, and probably very inefficient.

Painting the front door...well, I have the materials and tools and nothing but time...so why not. Maybe they'll pay something, maybe not. Still only a couple of hours of work.

Got some missing window screens (all on one side so no way to cross ventilate when it cools off at night) and the patio door slides badly and has no screen either. We're in discussion about that now as to whether they are willing to pay (at least partially) or if "it is what it is".

I also told them about the side patio roof that leaks like a sieve in even light rain and that if it keeps up, the whole thing will need replacing. Shingles on an almost flat roof...more monkeys doing the work I guess. Basically I told them I can fix things that will cost the owner a heck of a lot more down the road if he lets them go, and I'll do it just for material costs (which I can save them on as well due to that old military discount thing.)

Things like removing wall plates, cleaning them up, painting the screw heads so it looks nicer is just busy work. Again, I have the time and materials...so why not?

I guess it's the way I explained to the PM. It may be someone elses house, but for now it's my home, and I don't want to live in a dump.

I'm not redoing a roof or fixing a furnace, but cosmetics are pretty cheap and easy.

Old 03-19-15, 10:52 PM
Speaking as a landlord when we were first getting my grandmothers house ready to rent after she had passed we hired some painters who guaranteed a quick job. It definitely was quick too quick they used sprayers and they got paint on the hard wood floors. I had them clean it up and I tried to clean some of the mess up too but it still looked terrible. I felt like suing them but instead payed them and told them to get the blankety blank off of my property and to never contact me again for anything. Last I heard they were still in business probably ruining someone else floor.

Old 03-20-15, 03:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Some people shouldn't be allowed to own/use an airless! I own 2 but rarely ever spray anything inside a finished house! The time saved applying the paint is almost always negated by the time needed for the proper prep and clean up. About 40 yrs ago I painted an old farm house. The owner said 'no spraying' I said ok but all the lattice work around the back porch would have to be sprayed and she agreed. I brushed both the primer and the finish on most of the house before I sprayed the lattice. When she saw me mask off some lights and cover up the bushes she asked what I was doing. Apparently the previous 'painter' sprayed the house including all the windows, lights and bushes

Old 03-20-15, 04:35 AM
I guess it's the way I explained to the PM. It may be someone elses house, but for now it's my home, and I don't want to live in a dump.
This says it all._________________________________