Mr. T's new remodeling show ruins the DIY Network even more

Old 03-22-15, 08:45 PM
Mr. T's new remodeling show ruins the DIY Network even more

Here we go again with another celebrity backed gimmick of a home improvement show.

Mr. T Shakes Up Home Improvement Television With New Series “I Pity the Tool”

What ever happened to the golden age of real home improvement shows like This Old House? Why can't we just stick to that instead of this gimmicky garbage?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-15, 08:57 PM
Group Moderator
Bob Vila still has his own show but it's just not the same without the old crew like Norm and the gang.

There is a show called Renovation Realities.
On one half hour show there is a husband and wife with like four kids. Ok..... were going to completely remake over our kitchen. We have a budget of $5k and want it done in a few days. The show starts out with them taking over an hour to disconnect the power to the cooktop.

Then they start yanking out a sink. The husband goes to the basement and there is a flood. I changed the channel. Please.....

I don't care what anyone says... I enjoy Holmes on Homes.

Last edited by PJmax; 03-22-15 at 09:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-22-15, 09:07 PM
I enjoy Holmes on Homes too. He's legit from the episodes that I saw. The kind of guy I'd drink beer with.

Old 03-22-15, 09:46 PM
I like George To The Rescue, Today's Homeowner, Hometime and This Old House and last but not least Ask This Old House. As for the cable shows I don't have cable but as Mr. T would say I pity the fool who has to watch his show. Oh I guess it will be o.k. but I doubt he will be doing anything himself. The other shows I mentioned though are not as good as they used to be and set up more as entertainment than anything else but I still learn some things.

Old 03-22-15, 10:07 PM
I like Holmes on home and all his other shows also. What about the Vanilla ice project?

Old 03-23-15, 03:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't care what you say, Amy Matthews is hot! Seriously, the celebrity based shows are just that...."shows". No real skill, mostly cover up and "pretty". Until you have BTDT, it is good entertainment at best. At worst it can give homeowners the idea "hey, we can do that". Enter the pros to finish it up at a higher price due to problems they created.

I tell my guys all the time when they are demoing the interior of a room/house "hey it only takes 30 seconds on TV"

Old 03-23-15, 04:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I seldom watch home improvement shows and if I watch them with my wife she fusses at me for fussing at the folks on TV for doing it wrong

I also enjoyed Mike Holme's show but I don't think it comes on locally anymore

Old 03-23-15, 06:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Grew up watching Hometime and New Yankee Workshop and may even consider them inspirations as to why I do what I do now for a living. It was timed to the purchase of my first house. After stroking a large check to a plumber for using a wet vac to dry out my carpet See, I thought I had a water heater issue, turns out it was ground water from a downed gutter. I decided to learn everything I could as far has home maintenance and repair.

And I supposed I was always fascinated how Norm would calmly explain that you have to set your saw to a 6 degree bevel and a 3 1/2 degree taper in order to turn out a chair leg for something you could buy at the store for $20. He would then say, that you need to duplicate it 8 times, 4 of them in mirror image for the opposing legs of the chair. He constructed everything with the nonchalant demeanor of someone buttering a slice of toast.

...I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall just once to hear Norm curse when things did not go as planned. It probably would have prevented years of therapy for my OCD and an*l retentive need to be a perfectionist tendencies.

Old 03-23-15, 06:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall just once to hear Norm curse when things did not go as planned
That what I always appreciated about the 'woodwright shop' Roy Underhill would mutter under his breath and grab his thumb when he hit with a hammer, or got pinched, cut himself or whatever. I remember one episode where someone played a joke on him and put a pin up girl on the inside of a cabinet door. He opened the door and quickly took off his hat to hide the naked [?] girl

While I liked seeing things done the old way with the old tools, I'd rather have Norm's assortment of power tools to do the job

Old 03-23-15, 06:59 AM
Don't get me started...
My wife watches several of these "improvement" shows. Most of them you the viewer are only a bystander watching the fake drama, but rarely see anything instructive. The worst are the home-buying shows that typically feature newlyweds turning their noses up at $300,000 homes because they don't have granite counters and indoor olympic swimming pools. "Reality" my butt.

Old 03-23-15, 01:39 PM
"Reality" my butt.
My sentiments exactly! The ONLY thing that any "reality" programming, regardless of subject, has going for it is the lack of any kind of reality

Old 03-23-15, 01:50 PM
The best home improvement show I have ever seen is called Real Renos - Shows | HGTV Canada. It is filmed in a documentary style following a contractor in Ontario. You get to see how the industry really works, and all the things that tyipically go wrong on a job site, and how they are worked thorugh. It is definately geared more towards the people in the business than homeowners.

Old 03-23-15, 02:12 PM
But Keith, that is exactly the kind of program that homeowners should watch so they see the pitfalls and the amount of work required. Far too many people watch the 30 minute (including commercials) shows and think(?) that anyone can do just about anything in a very short period of time and THAT is the real problem.

Old 03-23-15, 02:18 PM
I agree 100%, that is what homeowners need to be watching, but I think you will find most homeowners are drawn to the fluff from these other reality TV shows.

Old 03-24-15, 04:57 AM
Group Moderator
I Pity the Tool is to DIY what South Beach Tow and Lizard Lick Towing are to towing.

Saw the ad spot for the Mr. T show a few days ago and my first reaction was, "you're kidding, right?"

I wonder if the faux DIY shows get people in as much trouble as the faux towing shows.

Old 03-24-15, 06:35 AM
Hey--nobody's seen the show yet! Might be the best thing since This Old House. After all trainer Mickey warned Rocky: "This guy's a wrecking machine, and he's hungry!"

Old 03-24-15, 02:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A show, whose host is totally inept at remodeling, codes, etc, as Mr. T, quite honestly is, would only harbor bad advice for the unsuspecting, IMO. Sure, there may be professionals doing the work, but I doubt they are highly paid craftsmen. Leaving the "host" to do his thing, making snarky remarks and having no idea what he is talking about. Sorry, it is best unseen. Too many bandwagons and not enough conductors.