Amazon Prime

Old 04-01-15, 07:32 PM
Amazon Prime

A few days ago I ordered a bunch of junk on Amazon. I was offered a free trial of Amazon Prime next day delivery for certain items but I declined because I didn't want to have to remember to come back and cancel to avoid being billed the regular cost at the end of the trial period.

Among the things ordered that would have been covered is a Darex Drill Doctor and a couple of other items. With the regular (free) shipping it was guesstimated to arrive between April 1 and April 4. Checking the account it hasn't even shipped yet!

Now I don't know where it will be shipped from but I doubt it is in Seattle although it is possible. Are they holding back the shipping on purpose to punish me for not accepting their generous offer? I received one item (not covered in the offer) yesterday.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-15, 07:43 PM
Group Moderator
I don't think so.... I decline their offer all the time and get merchandise what I consider pretty quickly.

Old 04-01-15, 08:39 PM
I don't think you are being punished either. We used to have an Amazon Prime subscription but it was only for the months trial and we used it to watch videos. The videos were fine but it wasn't as well organized as Netflix and you can't use Windows Media Center with their videos like you can with Netflix. So it was an easy decision to go with Netflix, it had a cost though at least for a while they kept bugging me to rejoin Prime. Which I wasn't going to do but they always have shipped fairly fast and since I get gift cards for Amazon from survey places it means some free stuff.

I have heard though that now they offer more services to entice people to use Prime like free local delivery within an hour and a few other things like some better prices. So for some people I guess it is a good deal but I can wait for my delivery.

Old 04-01-15, 10:37 PM
I just find it a bit strange that they would offer me next day delivery, which would have been either Monday or Tuesday, for free IF I agreed to the trial but still free delivery because the order was over $35 yet on Wednesday they still hadn't even shipped.

In other words, they must have had the items in stock nearby to offer next day but otherwise they are going to sit on the order for a few days. Makes no sense to me.

Old 04-02-15, 02:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've ordered stuff from amazon and always go with the cheapest shipping but there have been multiple times where it was delivered in just a few days. I think it has more to do with where the stock is located and how busy they are. I always decline the prime offer also.

Old 04-02-15, 02:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
We had Prime for about a year, mainly for videos. I don't order that much online from them, but shipping was free and a little quicker when I did. I figured the cost of all the business I did with them, plus the cost of renting the videos on demand, and it just wasn't worth it. We use Blockbuster On Demand, and a couple of others for our videos, now, and haven't missed Prime. Also with prime, not all movies are included. A vast majority of movies (newer ones, better ones) carry a per use charge, even with Prime, so it is a no brainer for us.

Old 04-02-15, 04:24 AM
Super Moderator
I find that I often receive the order before I get the notice it was shipped. They ship orders out fast, whether you have Prime or not.

Old 04-02-15, 05:04 AM
Group Moderator
I have Amazon Prime and even with it quite often my items do not ship the next day. They still make it here in the two day shipment window but they ship a day later. I assume since they have so many distribution centers that most are only a one day shipment away.

Old 04-02-15, 09:03 AM
Amazon can't stock everything they offer so lots of things are drop-shipped from the mfr. or distributor. From my observations I believe these guys who sell through Amazon are obligated to JUMP when Amazon says jump--and for Prime shipping they can't let it sit until they get around to it.

Old 04-02-15, 09:14 AM
I opted to try Prime for a year. I don't like the $99 but I DO like being able to buy something for $5 and get free shipping. Previously I wouldn't order cheap items or I'd buy more than I really needed just to get the free shipping.

I've had Netflix for years and at Christmas I bought an Amazon Fire TV Stick and Prime. Where Netflix would carry the first season of a TV show, Prime has ALL seasons in most cases, no extra cost. I can watch Dexter, Sopranos, Firefly, Mad Men, Hell On Wheels, Sons of Anarchy, etc, beginning to end.

Old 04-02-15, 09:43 AM
Group Moderator
My wife is a researcher so she did tables, charts, cost benefit analysis and she probably even did a Power Point presentation just for herself before deciding that Prime was a good option for us. She has the Prime in her name and I'm on her account. I think each of us on our own would be better off without Prime but our usage combined made it worthwhile. One of the big limits for us is the free content. We barely have the bandwidth available to stream one movie a month.

Old 04-02-15, 11:56 AM
I don't "do" Netflix and I don't subscribe to any on-line movie or television service. I do occasionally watch a missed episode of some program via the Internet but it is only the free services that I have used so Amazon Prime means nothing to me in that regard.

As I stated, I ordered several things this trip and one was a book from Amazon Marketplace where I had to pay the $3.99 shipping charge. That was shipped the next day and I received it on Tuesday (ordered on Sunday) Second item, also from Marketplace is coming from Europe so I don't expect it for a while. Everything else is from Amazon directly. Now I really don't care if this is sent from Peru via mule train and it gets to me in "Indian time"* it is just that I could have had it on Tuesday IF I had said yes to the Prime offer. That simply makes no sense at all to me.

(* Indian time is a saying that was given to me by a man of Native American heritage. He said it means it will happen when it happens.)

Old 04-02-15, 04:21 PM
Amazon is not know for for punishing people that don't sign up for prime. Wouldn't make sense to do that. The have no motivation to give people who don't pay for prime bad service.

My wife and I have had Prime for several years now. We order a lot from Amazon. Even if it wasn't two day shipping, the membership pays for itself. It offers a huge convenience in that we don't have to wait to make an order so we can maximize the cost of shipping. I believe I have over 50 orders in so far this year. No idea how many my wife has placed. We just got a new smart tv (from Amazon) so now we can take advantage of the videos they include for free with out membership.

I normally buy my electronics from Crutchfield. The price on the new TV was the same there as it was from Amazon. I ordered from Amazon because they would ship via UPS and Crutchfield was going to ship LTL. There was no way to I'd be around to accept an LTL from them.

Old 04-03-15, 07:25 AM
Group Moderator
Most Crutchfield TV and large appliance shipments are by a private company that specializes in easily damaged merchandise and in home setup. I have never received anything from them via an LTL common carrier. The company they use delivers in box trucks that are more friendly to residential neighborhoods and part of the delivery is to unpack the TV, dispose of the packing material if you don't want it and place it where you want in the home.

Old 04-03-15, 01:03 PM
That wasn't what I was worried about. I have received several LTL shipments at my home. The issue for me is having to be here to accept it. UPS just leaves items on my porch.