Yard sale?

Old 04-01-15, 11:17 PM
Yard sale?

I've never done a yard sale and the (very) few I have attended have never had anything that I was even remotely interested in buying.

I have a ton of good junk, well it would be great for the person that wanted/needed it but is now surplus to my desires. Some things like two new L14-30 plugs (for a generator) a matching inlet connector, some casters, lots of electronic parts, some tools and the like. May also try to sell my ancient cutting torch along with the hose and valved Y connectors for the regulators. Lots of similar things.

I also have a couple of window A/C units with low hours as well as some yard and garden power tools and some photo darkroom equipment. I was thinking of advertising it as "mostly guy stuff" or something as few women would be interested in what I have to offer. Well, I guess there are quite a lot of men that wouldn't be interested either.

I've rejected the idea of Ebay as just more hassle than I want to go through and the horror stories I hear/read about Craig's List has me a bit reticent about going that way as well.

So, any ideas? Most of it is in very good to new condition and it would be an absolute shame to either send it to the landfill or to the recyclers. I'm not all that concerned about making money off of it.

Note, this is not an offer to sell anything via this site.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-15, 11:40 PM
Take it all to a consignment shop.

Old 04-02-15, 02:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Check for local online yard sales. We have a couple that I frequent and pick up/sell a bunch of stuff. People are local, so there is no shipping like there would be on Ebay or Craig's. If you use Facebook, there are groups of yard sale sites and you may find a local one there.

Old 04-02-15, 05:52 AM
I've been thinking about how I would dispose of some of my valuable junk, OR how I would want it to be properly cataloged so that it can be sold for maximum value after I'm gone.

I'm thinking about creating an active relationship with the Goodwill, Salvation Army or the American Red Cross to identify them in my Will for this purpose, including all Real Estate. I don't have any heirs (or relatives) who would really benefit from my designating any of them as beneficiary . . . . it would be more of a burden than an asset. I have to spend some time discussing the issue with each one of these organizations.

I was particularly impressed with the Salvation Army in San Antonio, Texas where they put people to work organizing items that have been donated, and then marketing them on eBay (among other vehicles); but I don't see evidence of their being active anywhere around here; but I may just call San Antonio to get some guidance from them.

Being where I am (and where my valuable junk is), I doubt that these groups have anyone in my immediate area who could be commissioned to handle that kind of mission . . . . but I can't expect any charitable organization to get the most for any item unless they know what it is !

My Attorney has never had to arrange any Last Will and Testament along these lines; but I'm still here to participate. I may wind up having everything in my Estate sold to one of the Firms in this area that buys estates, and then attempts to auction things off individually, and puts the remainder in an auction barn for sale later . . . . but that hardly maximizes the value of the estate for the charitable entity that might receive the residual value.

I suppose I have still have some time to make these plans . . . . and maybe you won't see the similarity between your situation and mine; but that's a matter that I spend some time thinking about. So far my biggest accomplishment has been to cease accumulating more stuff that will have to be disposed of . . . . so that's good.

One might say "You oughta get going on that activity so you don't leave a mess behind that no one understands" . . . . but who knows, I might still need some of it.

Old 04-02-15, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator
I just had a yard sale a few weeks back after I had moved in. Amazing how much stuff I had that I had forgotten about or hadn't put hands on in 7 years.

It doesn't matter how you advertise it, you WILL get people that will ask "Do you have any furniture or kids toys?" This is after I tell every arrival "It's all the things on or under the 5 tables in the center." You'll also get women that show up, wander around for 2 minutes and say "This is all guy stuff. Let's go." Well, can they not read?

All tools, supplies, paint, etc...typical guy stuff that just gets accumulated that I don't have room for. And thats what it said in the ad and on the signs.

2 ton Craftsman floor jack that needs O-rings and fluid...asking $5...not even an offer.

Med size box of misc plumbing fittings (prob $50 worth)...$2...would I take $1. This was in the first hour of the first day!

I made around $300 mostly from having a lot of smalls, but for things like your A/Cs and torch you'll likely get less than 1/2 of what you think it's worth. If that's ok with you, then go for it, but gird your loins for the stupids.

Old 04-02-15, 11:34 AM
Thank you all for the suggestions. I don't think the consignment shop will work as I have never seen any consignment sales in my area other than clothing (mostly women's) and automobiles.

Online sales may be an option, I don't have a Facebook account (nor am I going to get one) and I am not going to do any shipping. I might meet someone in the parking lot of the local police department if I am wary about having them come to the house.

Vermont, your situation is very much like mine. The things I have are of no value to almost everyone I know (a few exceptions) and so it would be nothing but a burden to leave them to handle it after I die. I also am in the mode of getting rid of things rather than acquiring more. I don't have a huge amount of junk, well, my riding lawnmower project, but other than that probably no more than two or three trips to the dump with my Camry (no truck) would clear out the vast majority. I just don't want to landfill things that someone else may find useful. I've finally decided to take all my mismatched nuts, bolts, screws and similar hardware to the recycler as just scrap metal as I can rarely find what I need after spending an hour sorting through my bins and THAT exercise is getting really old. I'll have to ask if they will also take galvanized nails.

Vic, I know what you mean about people coming and then being disappointed that there is nothing they desire. I think that many people see the words garage sale and then only look at the address. I looked at the local Craig's List under garage sales and instantly dismissed about 90% of what I saw but there were a couple that had items I might like. One had a Miller high frequency (read TIG) welder as well as a Lincoln MIG welder, either of which I would like but I don't want to travel some fifty miles to learn that fifty other people had the same idea and most of them have more money than I.

I think what I will do is to try to move things back and forth, tossing a few items with every move, until I can at least maneuver around the garage and then have the sale late spring or summer. I'll probably advertise the LG window A/C sooner as it is supposed to be another hot (for our area) summer and I can set it up in the garage to prove it actually works.

Old 04-02-15, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator
IMO is there is not alot of value to the items its best to give them away to goodwill or the like. Get a receipt and right it off on your taxes. This way they take it all in one scoop and you dont have to be hassled about bartering...

Just my thoughts...

Old 04-02-15, 03:22 PM
One of our local online yard sales is Guy stuff. The header even says, NO CLOTHES, and ladies if you post a picture of underwear for sale, you'd better be wearing it There are plenty with kids clothing, wedding dresses, and the like, but if you want Guy stuff, you have to look for it.

Old 04-02-15, 03:35 PM
Hi, Mike. I'm doing that with a lot of the junk but the things I am thinking of would cost a pretty penny if someone had to go buy them retail AND I've actually been hassled by the receiving people at St. Vinnie's over some of the more specialized things I want to drop off. The thrift stores have become somewhat picky about what they will and won't accept in the past few years. Even the dump is getting picky to the point that somethings simply cannot be gotten rid of.

The local haz-mat facility stopped taking latex paint a couple of years ago, now you have to add kitty liter or a special hardener to it and let it fully harden before you can toss it in the regular garbage collection. Absolutely no unmarked containers of anything is acceptable anywhere. Any electronics with solder have to be disposed as haz-mat at a special electronics recycler. I have a five gallon bucket with some kind of grease or oil that was left by the previous owner but no label so I cannot get rid of it. The bucket has filled with rainwater over the years and is no cracking so I KNOW it will soon be polluting the soil. I'll be held responsible if any is ever detected and can be traced back (highly unlikely) but I can't get rid of it.

Getting rid of anything that might contain asbestos or refrigerant is going to cost at least $25 per item. I don't have any of that but it makes it easier to understand why so much unauthorized dumping (or just plain hoarding) takes place.

Honestly, I don't care much about receiving money for this junk but I hate to see perfectly usable items just being tossed. If I have a yard sale I will likely have a table of stuff that is free for the taking.

Old 04-02-15, 04:48 PM
I've sold a ton of stuff on Craigs list.
From trucks, trailers, table saws, planners, boats, always made money, almost never an issue.
Building stuff I donate to Habitat for Humaity, other stuff I give to my local fire dept. thrift store.

Old 04-02-15, 05:37 PM
If you like getting out and meeting new people a flea market would be good for lighter things and some churches and other places that have flea markets set up a table for you so you just bring your stuff. Goodwill industries is a good charity though and they don't just sell at their stores but online too via auction from all Goodwill's across the country. As for e-bay I have sold two things for pick up only one my fathers old tool box that had mechanics tools and the other a real old dresser. Just be sure to ask for Id first before allowing them to pick up and use a good digital camera.

Old 04-02-15, 08:23 PM
Flea market is a good idea and a fairly decent way to while away a day. Some thirty years ago they held them in the Drive-In theatres in this area and usually had a pretty good turnout. My (now dead) brother and Daddy used to go but they usually came home with more than they took to sell. They also found that specialized technical stuff didn't sell all that well, if at all.

The one that will hurt me the most is my Encyclopedia Britannica. It is from the second year (1974?) after they changed their format to micropedia/macropedia and is leather bound with gilt edges. Trouble is, nobody, but nobody wants a printed encyclopedia these days and that includes me. Used to be able to donate them to prisons but not any more. I ended up cutting up the Americana I got from my parents (1946 edition, really good for WWII information) saving a few articles for some excuse that is probably not valid. Recycling won't take hard-bound books is why I had to cut them up.

Old 04-02-15, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator
RE the EB's...got a fireplace?

Old 04-02-15, 08:58 PM
Yeah, I have a little fireplace, only good for getting rid of scrap wood though. You aren't suggesting that I burn the books are you? Burning paper is a really time consuming method of getting rid of it, I know because I have done it a lot in the past and it takes a fair amount of tending to say nothing of the ash it creates. It would be far simpler and probably less time to simply cut the covers off the books and then toss the pages in the recycle bin.

Or, I could send them to you intact, shipping charges collect. Somewhere between forty and sixty pounds as I recall.

Old 04-03-15, 12:34 AM
Just a thought on the encyclopedias, perhaps the very old or very young, or the challenged sector might be able to use them. They might be less likely to be using a computer for everything.

As for the guys only yard sale, if you could combine your items with other families that were offering the clothing and such, often dad is driving along with mom and just be sitting in the car.

Personally I find yard sales more trouble than they are worth as I end up with the junk half left to be disposed of. Selling an item for $0.75 isn't worth the effort. If you can find someone who sells on the internet and make them a deal, $100 for everything, where they are set up to handle the one-at-a-time sale they will turn a good profit and hopefully clear it all out in just one trip.

For just getting rid of most of it I have found the magic word "free" does a good job. A one day only free yard sale with lots of tools and even the moms will be there.

Bud

Old 04-03-15, 01:56 AM
Thanks, Bud. I suppose I could ask at the Senior Center if they might want the encyclopedia or if they had any idea of who might want them.

I have pretty much the same feelings as you concerning yard sales. I like the idea of free and maybe it would work. I can post a free ad on Craig's list and see if anyone responds.

Probably not going to happen for a few weeks still as I need to get at least somewhat organized first. My sister gave me a gift certificate for housecleaning and they are coming on the 13th so I have to move some things around inside before then. Plus, I can't fall too far behind on my lawnmower project.

Old 04-03-15, 03:38 AM
Off topic somewhat, but you mentioned encyclopedias. A while back I had a set of Encyclopedia Americana dated 1860. It was odd to look things up in it like "The Battle of Gettysburg", because it hadn't happened yet. Even technology was spacy. Literally. The "atmosphere" was described as a bubble of air surrounded by thick matter holding it together.

Old 04-03-15, 06:03 AM
You mentioned a house cleaning service and it reminded me, the wife just sold her condo in FL and had to get most of the furnishing out before closing. I guess that is a common problem down there and there are companies that will come in and remove everything that needs to go. How they dispose of it is their business, and I guess some exchange what they get for the cost.

One day and done is important plus the thought that some or most of the stuff might get a new life.

Bud