Ebay guarantee

Old 04-02-15, 06:40 PM
Ebay guarantee

Have any of you ever used the Ebay guarantee? I ordered a speed controller and according to the tracking it was delivered but in fact it wasn't. The USPS insists it was and refuses to look any further.

Now according to Ebay I should be able to get a refund BUT their method of contacting them is circular. It starts with my having to contact the seller (I have, he has nothing to offer) and if that doesn't work then to contact Ebay. Unfortunately it doesn't work, when I try to contact Ebay to start the process it simply tells me to contact the seller as the first step. I cannot move beyond that.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-15, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator
The only time I dealt with that was as a seller. Person said the decorative plate she bought arrived broken. No pics, no nothing, just her statement. USPS wouldn't honor the insurance either. Even though I packed it and knew it was BS we just refunded her money to avoid a black mark on wifeys account.

Just looked at Ebay, I don't have an account or any item number to test with so you may need to do the email thing and describe the problem. Do you know your USPS carrier? Most times they are semi-helpful if you talk to them directly. I once got an alert that something was delivered but it wasn't in the communal package box. Turned out she had scanned it as delivered before she realized the boxes were full, so she brought it back the next day.

Old 04-02-15, 08:01 PM
I was finally able to get through to Ebay on the telephone. I explained the situation and the rep advised me to make a complaint to the Internet Crime Complaint Center and then call them back with the complaint code. So I made the complaint, naming the USPS as the party that defrauded me. Now I have to call Ebay again with the complaint number and according to the rep they (Ebay) will refund my $13.99.

I didn't want to give the seller a black mark because I have bought from him several times in the past with no problem whatsoever. I know the package was sent and made it all the way to the local post office but it never made it into the parcel locker for some reason.

Do you know your USPS carrier?
No, I know that at least two different carriers, maybe more, service the clusterbox where I receive my mail. I think one of them is less competent because of the times that I get misdirected mail.

Old 04-08-15, 10:45 AM
The rest of the story.

This morning I looked out on my front porch and saw there was a package, it was probably left on Tuesday but it could have been Monday. It was the speed control. I don't know if maybe it was delivered to one of my neighbors and they finally dropped it off or if the letter carrier found it had fallen under the seat of the truck or what.

Old 04-08-15, 12:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've never had any issues with our local postman delivering packages to the wrong address but our local UPS guy does it all the time Good to hear you got the part

Old 04-08-15, 01:16 PM
mark, that's funny as it is obviously regional. I have used ups for business and personal for over 20 years with almost flawless results. Whereas the usps has been so bad I drive my mail to the another town to mail it. Recently sent a registered, return receipt, first class letter, with tracking guaranteed Saturday delivery. Tracking lost it, local office was zero help, but it did arrive 5 days later. I average one a month delivering others mail left in my box. AND mail is constantly being lost. And yes, I have had several meetings with the post master in 2 local town with zero satisfaction.

I think I'll start mowing my lawn in concentric circles as a target for the day when everything gets dropped by a drone. Maybe a net would be better.

Bud

Old 04-08-15, 02:58 PM
The only time I have had a problem with UPS is the time the driver said a big dog on the loose prevented him from delivering my package. It was a holiday weekend so I missed getting the package by an additional three days.

Like Bud, I am also getting mail for others in my box, most of the time it is for a neighbor but occasionally for someone across town.

And USPS tracking is just plain weird. I buy a lot of junk mail order and sometimes the tracking shows a package leaving Florida two hours after it was accepted in Washington. I only use the USPS tracking as a rough idea of when to expect my packages.

Old 04-08-15, 03:09 PM
Group Moderator
One company I bought from in the boiler plate of their order shipped email tell you what numbers at the beginning indicate a USPS pseudo tracking number that isn't actually tracked.

No, I don't remember the numbers.

Old 04-08-15, 03:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As far as I know, I get all my mail although once a year or so I'll find a neighbor's letter/bill in my box. But they aren't beyond mistakes, right after I retired a painter bought a house near me on a different road. They put all his SWP bills in my box even thought the street number/name were different and it did not say 'marksr' painting on the envelope!

My biggest issue with UPS is my driveway. The driver that used to have this route never thought twice about driving up my road but the new driver 'claims' that my road isn't passable and leaves my package with the nearest neighbor he has to deliver it to .... and if they don't call me, it's up to me to find where the package went

Old 04-08-15, 03:17 PM
When I get tracking numbers I usually check them through a Google or Yahoo search and they will link back through the USPS site. Occasionally, mostly with foreign shipments, the search engine will not find anything but using the number at the USPS site has always worked, even if it simply says "in transit".

Old 04-09-15, 05:15 AM
Similar subject. I recently bought an item on e-bay. It was advertised as UPS ground. In fact it's being delivered via USPS. I have no complaint but is this false advertising? Or is UPS ground allowed to use the US mail as part of its delivery system and not make it known?

Old 04-09-15, 06:17 AM
In some of our lesser populated areas there will be limited or no service from some carriers so they do exchange packages at the delivery end. Unsure if that determination is made at the shipping end or not, but given the advancements in data collection it is possible they know before they ship.

Bud

Old 04-09-15, 06:23 AM
Or is UPS ground allowed to use the US mail as part of its delivery system and not make it known?
Actually they are making it known Norm201 just not widely known. I think the main reason for that is that the post offices online mail service they call Click and Ship is not reliable. As an example lets take today's date 4/9/2015 but I want my package sent out tomorrow and not today. In the last few months not sending off anything to sell but just gifts I have had to void labels because they had the wrong date. UPS though that they call Mail Innovations I hear doesn't have that problem. Fedex has another program they call Smart Post in both ways the USPS carrier finishes the delivery.

Old 04-09-15, 06:35 AM
Originally Posted by Furd
...It starts with my having to contact the seller (I have, he has nothing to offer)...
I have bought from him several times in the past with no problem whatsoever.
The thing that keeps rattling around in my head after reading this thread is that there IS a problem with this seller. USPS rightly refused to offer much help because they answer to the guy who contracted for the delivery--the Seller, who wouldn't help. That's a negative feedback in my opinion.

Yeah I don't like the way it works either. As the guy paying for shipping I feel the carrier should answer to ME. Once the seller has your money he has no motivation to help, beyond his reputation. But that's the rules.

Old 04-09-15, 04:42 PM
Guy, the USPS tracking showed the package at several points from China through San Francisco to Federal Way (Washington) to my local post office. The seller/shipper had no more control over the package after he delivered it to the receiving station in China than you would have over a package you sent from your local post office.

Further, it was the seller/shipper that paid the postage although you could argue that the cost of the item was adjusted upward to allow for the "free" shipping. My point being, that the seller/shipper in China has little recourse over a package lost by the USPS in the United States. What irritated me the most was that the USPS closed this case in a matter of less than three days without even attempting to contact me, either to obtain further details or to let me know they were closing the case due to lack of any leads.

I would still like to know how the package finally ended up on my porch some eighteen days after the investigation was closed.