Odd find

Old 04-03-15, 04:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Odd find

Found this on the ground on a remodel we were involved in today. Just don't see many any more. It's glass and has HOMART. 125-V USA on it. I like finding stuff like this.

Name:  fuse blank.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  44.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-15, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator
I remember those very well. The house I lived in from 4-10 y/o had a fuse box (with mostly knob and tube) and I think they were all glass. Maybe different colors for different ratings...that's blurry in my brain.

Funny, I always thought Homart was some spinoff of Hobart Corp or Hobart Brothers (based in my hometown in OH) but turns out it was a Sears brand.

Old 04-03-15, 05:33 PM
I think my local HD still sells them.

Old 04-03-15, 05:34 PM
Group Moderator
I've never seen one completely glass. I wonder when they stopped making them like that.

Old 04-03-15, 05:58 PM
If it has no metal ring and never had one it was used as a filler to keep peoples fingers out of the hole.

Old 04-03-15, 06:14 PM
When I bought this house, we had those, and someone had put copper pennies behind many to keep from blowing a fuse.

It was weird, because for a while we would often blow a circuit, and the lights would go out. A few minutes later, they'd come back on . . . . spooky !

Turned out, rain( (or just humidity) would get into the box and get absorbed by the copper oxide until it shorted out. Then heat would cause it to dry out, and we'd be back in business.

In the Real Estate business, I still see plenty of these, and also those that look like shot gun shells, inside what we call a "Rat Trap" Switch Box.

Old 04-03-15, 06:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, Joe, it is a blank, completely glass. Just to fill the hole on unused circuits.