jobs

Old 04-06-15, 05:47 PM
jobs

anyone ever start a small van courier/delivery service in their region??? with a 500 mile range maybe..
I mean the small vans that are about half the size of a full size van..
I was wondering if it would be a viable business in a trade that is fairly crowded..

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-15, 05:58 PM
Why enter a saturated market?

Old 04-06-15, 06:12 PM
Temporarily Suspended
It appears that you are a transplanted New Yorker which doesn't help much in California. The only way that I would try that business is if I had 2 years of living expenses saved separately from the investment money.

Old 04-06-15, 06:37 PM
Group Moderator
You could try doing contract work for a hot shot company to get a feel for it.

Old 04-06-15, 06:43 PM
One of the problems with a delivery service is being available when a good customer needs you. You either sit somewhere and wait or when you take a job to fill in, you will have to tell your primary customer to wait.

The other approach is to pick a segment where you are needed every day. When I worked in the banking industry they had couriers that transported checks from each branch to a processing center. Of course they contracted with large courier services to handle all of their branches.

There are markets for single vehicles transporting important material in a bonded fashion, but you would really need to know your market.

Could always try Uber.

Bud

Old 04-06-15, 09:02 PM
I read somewhere that Fedex drivers own their own trucks and the drivers act as contractors. Not sure how true that is but essentially if it is true you could more or less work for yourself. You might also want to work for a company called Lasership they are fairly new and until fairly recently they delivered everything out of cars but now they use small panel trucks. If it were me I would want to work for a small outfit first and then see if it is feasible to go into business for yourself.

Old 04-07-15, 04:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it were me I would want to work for a small outfit first and then see if it is feasible to go into business for yourself
Good advice! It's always best to learn any business first [as an employee] before venturing out on your own.

Old 04-07-15, 04:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Richard, I believe you are correct with FedEx. I had a delivery the other day by a regular FedEx truck. In conversation with the driver I mentioned that wifey ordered her dog food online through a reputable company and shipped it free. Prices are comparable to having to drive to the store and chancing them having it in stock. Deliver is usually 2 days. He said it was odd, but FedEx paid the contract drivers $12 per package to deliver them. Wonder what the overall shipping cost is for the supplier?

Old 04-07-15, 11:41 AM
Wonder what the overall shipping cost is for the supplier?
I can't say for sure Larry but I do know they go by dimensional weight and not by exact weight. Both UPS and Fedex are the same in that manner. I think the only people who really do well are the drivers and not the business or individual although businesses probably get a bulk shipment rate so it is better for them. I imagine Fedex has some contractors to get around the union wages and lower their costs.