My Rant - Lights

Old 04-25-15, 08:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My Rant - Lights

I got tired of replacing 4' fluorescent tubes in garage. So I had a great idea, install keyless porcelain fixtures and purchase long life bulbs.

Plan's not working too well.

I purchased $8.00 bulbs, thinking I wouldn't change them for many years. They seem to burn out faster than an incandescent. Unbelievable.

Anyone know of a decent bulb, like LED, that actually works??

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-15, 08:15 AM
I recently purchased a $3 Sylvania LED 60 watt Edison base bulb and it is working great. My daughter has a dozen or more inside and outside, all fine. These are the doughnut shaped bulbs. Mine is 5000K daylight, but I think they have softer. I have probably 20 or so from different batches as they have evolved in quality and dropped in price. Most are Cree which now has bulbs without the bulky heat sink, orange box store. But over 3 years, zero failures.

Not sure what your "keyless porcelain fixtures" take for lamps. Are they standard Edison?

Bud

Old 04-25-15, 08:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes,
Standard base. The porcelain fixtures are old school, single bulb without pull chain.

Old 04-25-15, 08:39 AM
What bulbs did you have that failed? I gave up keeping all of my receipts and packaging and just plan to argue my case if any fail within the 5 to 10 years. but so far I'm not hearing of any problems, unlike the wave of failures for the CFLs.

What has been you run time on these (total hours) and what store? Unless there is some reason for them to have failed I'd be right back at that store requesting a refund or replacement, preferably a different bulb. I'd also consider an email to the mfg to notify them of the failure. I have had mfg's eagerly request the failed product I have so they can determine why it failed.

Bud

Old 04-25-15, 09:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It must have been the fixture itself Brian, the few fluorescent fixtures I have work forever. The "cloud" fluorescent fixture in the kitchen has had the same bulbs in it for 15 years. The 8' long one in my garage has been changed out once in that same time frame. I have one single cfl that is in a small closed fixture in my laundry room that never gets turned off. Kind of like out security light and to provide some ambient light at night for the dog. That one ran 14 years before it went out.

Old 04-26-15, 07:44 PM
Last year I replaced some T-12 fluorescent tubes for T-8 LED and I haven't been disappointed. Those Cree LED bulbs that have been mentioned are in my bathroom light fixture and they have been working great for me. I bought the Cree at Home Depot and the LED tubes online.

For those who might want to change over to LED tubes there are two types ones that use the current ballast and those without a ballast, I bought the tubes that don't require a ballast. I found out later you can find those that use your current ballast at local electric supply stores but prefer it without the ballast as there is no noise.

Old 04-27-15, 09:11 AM
At $20 each the 1900 Lumen T8 LED replacement tubes seem pretty steep but I'm impressed with the bright, shadow-less light they produce. If they really DO last for several years it's money well spent IMO.

Old 05-03-15, 05:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Might want to look into a possible issue. I have burned CFLs base up that get switched many times a day and still get years out of them. They say base down only.

Old 05-04-15, 03:57 AM
How often are you turning them on and off? Constant on-off cycling will kill a bulb in no time. If you find yourself going in and out of the garage throughout the day, just leave them on.

Old 05-04-15, 06:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That could be the problem, switching.
The bulbs are switched on and off a ridiculous amount each day. I didn't know this wasn't good for a bulb.
The bulbs are installed base-up, in simple porcelain ceiling fixtures .

Old 05-04-15, 07:21 AM
I thought on/off cycling was only bad for filament bulbs...?