5 mph bumpers

Old 05-09-15, 09:08 AM
5 mph bumpers

What ever happened to bumpers that were supposed to withstand a 5 mph impact with zero damage? Back a month ago a Lexus slid into the back of my 10 year old truck, didn't move us an inch and almost didn't feel the bump. Put a dent in the metal bumper and pushed it into where it dented the body and slightly knocked the tailgate out of alignment. Over $2,000 for mine and I would bet that corner nose job on the Lexus was well over $5,000. Heck, the economy bumper on my truck was $950.

At those prices it's no wonder so many older trucks get driven until they fall apart.

But a 3 mph bump (guessing) into a metal bumper?? Shouldn't have been any damage, IMO.

Bud

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-15, 11:50 AM
Group Moderator
I think the idea of a minor bump not causing damage is no longer considered. It probably was thought of as a sign of strength and quality that you could bump into something and not do damage but these days it's all about the passenger envelop and absorbing energy. Parts are meant to crush, deform or bend out of the way and give up there inanimate lives for the vehicle occupants.

When I got my car a few years ago someone on that forum had rear ended someone. I think the damage was around $18k. The biggest expense was the radar module for the adaptive cruise control which at that time I think was $8k. The road following HID headlights where almost $2k each... four parking ultrasonic sensors at $200 a poop (yes, I said poop)... Quickly over $10k with nothing but technology. Then add in all the plastic bits, underlying brackets and paint... It's almost enough to make you want to drive an old army 2 1/2 ton truck or take the bus.

Old 05-09-15, 12:21 PM
Thanks, Pilot, the old army truck sound good to me. I just did some searching to see if they repealed the old 5 mph standard I was thinking about and basically they have. My damage was in the back and on a corner, I think that is down to a 1 mph collision standard. A collision at less than 1 mph would have to be someone trying to parallel park.

For the money, testing, time and overall added cost, sure seems like a total waste. We would have been better off just forgetting the requirements and let the consumers just kick the bumpers. If the bumpers didn't fall off you could buy the car.

Bud

Old 05-09-15, 02:37 PM
If I remember correctly the 5mph bumper standards never applied to trucks. And I think it was 5mph only for the front bumpers and 2.5mph for the rear bumpers.

Old 05-09-15, 03:17 PM
I think Ron may correct about that. That reminds me of a bone head thing I did couple years back. I forgot my van was parked at the end of the driveway. I pulled my new car (only several months old) out of the garage without thinking what was behind me. Slammed right into the van. Luckily no damage short of a paint scrape. I had to be going at least 3mph.

Old 05-09-15, 04:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Few years back a guy rearended my Volvo S40. Scratched my bumper, dented the trunk lid, probably to the tune of a couple of thousand., including a rear quarter paint job.

Totaled his Chevy Equinox. I mean broke the frame, drove the radiator around the engine. I guess it matters where and how the vehicles are positioned for real damage, but the bumper scratches are just going to happen at any speed, IMO.

Old 05-10-15, 06:31 AM
Group Moderator
Remember back when car bumpers were chrome plated steel? They were so solid they had trailer hitches that chained around the bumper for pulling small trailers. Now the're foam wrapped in painted plastic.

Old 05-10-15, 07:55 AM
And back in the early 20th century they were made of a spring type steel that would just bounce upon impact.

Old 05-11-15, 04:52 PM
As much as I sympathize with Bud's position, the wrecks that people are walking away from these days are quite amazing. I saw a car run a red light at highway speed and t-bone an old pick up. The front of the car was completely gone, the pickup just spun around a bunch. All occupants jumped out of their vehicles and started yelling at each other.

Old 05-11-15, 05:34 PM
I do agree that vehicles are safer today, although perhaps self destructing in the process may not be the greatest solution. But I never viewed the 5 mph bumpers as a move towards safety, more as a move towards reduced repair costs. As I remember it people were complaining that a very slight bump was resulting in thousands of dollars in damages. And now we are right back there. The bump I received at probably 2 to 3 mph was $2200 to my truck and had to be 5 or 6K to her Lexus.

Bud

Old 05-12-15, 03:38 PM
To be honest Bud, the collision was probably higher than 5 mph.

Old 05-13-15, 07:04 AM
It doesn't help that the engineers have abandoned the idea of damage-free collisions and are making matters worse than they need to be by positioning expensive components in crush zones. They just sacrifice these components because there's space available. I saw one recent model of small car that had the entire headlight assembly attached to the plastic fascia rather than the radiator support or other fairly solid structure. ANY minor bump will destroy the entire assembly & brackets. All for looks, convenience, weight/cost savings.

Old 05-13-15, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by Norm201
". . . That reminds me of a bone head thing I did couple years back . . ."
And your story reminds me of a house I was selling (as a Broker) a few years ago. The house had a two car garage, with his and hers garage door openers.

I arrived for a showing one day, and half of the garage was busted up.

I asked the Wife what happened, and she said Hubby had gotten up to go to work and grabbed the wrong door opener. A few minutes later, she heard a crash and the whole house shook, as if there had been an explosion.

Her Husband had started his Pick-Up, heard a garage door open, and backed up his normal 30 or 40 feet . . . . right through the garage door.

She said he got out and looked at it for a few moments, and rushed off to work. She said that he doesn't want to talk about it . . . . and he never did speak to me. She said that the same Insurance Company covered both the house and the vehicles, so that was good; but it was a very costly mistake. And most of the damage to the truck was above the bumper.

When Buyers asked about why the garage doors were slightly mis-matched, it made for a good story.