Holy cat gut Batman!

Old 05-09-15, 05:46 PM
Holy cat gut Batman!

My veterinary daughter decided to visit us from out of town and she brings with her 5 kittens whose mother abandoned them. Who in God's name wants cats. OK. I know there are a lot of cat lovers out there. But I'm not one of them. I don't hate them, I'm just a large dog lover instead. Anyways she and every member of our family has a dog. And she has about every animal you can think of that can be had in a typical house. She claims these cats will be gone just as soon as she is able to let them go. They are currently at 5 weeks old. I'm afraid her siblings here in town might be willing to take them. God forbid. Even my wife is all excited about them. If we end up with a cat, me and the dog are moving into the shed.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-15, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator
I know how you feel norm... Its tough when I say I am going to move out to our shed...

Problem is she knows I may not come back...

Old 05-09-15, 06:05 PM
I agree 100%.
Send her home with the kittens ASAP.

Old 05-10-15, 03:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not all that crazy about cats either but couldn't imagine not having one since I live in the county. They do help control the mice, mole and wood lizard population Crazy thing is, I feed them everyday and they don't like me but they love my wife .... and she's allergic to cat hair

Old 05-10-15, 03:56 AM
I don't understand why ANYONE would want a dog when they could have a kitty.

Name:  Douglas11.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  16.5 KB

Old 05-10-15, 04:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
..... but at least my dogs like me

Old 05-10-15, 12:39 PM
My cats love me. Douglas wants to sleep on my chest and Toby always comes to bed with me. Neither goes around with his tongue hanging out and slobbering all over everything. Neither goes around sniffing people's crotches. Neither barks every time the wind changes direction.

So many other disgusting actions of dogs they do not have.

Old 05-10-15, 01:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, we've got both, and the attributes of one are the degradation of the other. Dogs do bark at inopportune times. But dogs don't bring their quarry into the house and kill it in the middle of the kitchen. Cats are somewhat quiet and cats couldn't care less that you have been gone all day. They jump over the fence when they want. Dogs bark, slobber and jump on you when you finally come home and you have to open gates for them. I think it is a trade off.

Old 05-10-15, 01:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Our pets live outdoors but they learned me to look where I step if I go out on the porch barefoot early in the morning - no fun stepping on a dead 'present' first thing in the morning

Old 05-10-15, 01:19 PM
...and cats couldn't care less that you have been gone all day.
My cats sure care, the meet me at the door when I come in.

Old 05-10-15, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator
I'm a cat person since forever. This is the first time in over 30 yrs that I didn't have at least one cat, normally 3-4. At least I can go visit the still living ones at "her" house.

Dogs are OK (had 'em as a kid, cats then also), but they require a lot more care than I have ever been willing to give. Just like kids...and I don't have any of those either. Would be different if I lived out in the country probably.

Norm, I assume she has checked with rescue type organizations in the area? Trust me, they can adopt out kittens of that age way faster than just word of mouth.

Old 05-10-15, 05:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
We just had supper out with a few friends, two of which run a rescue relocation concern locally. She says they had to buy a van to ship dogs and cats to New Jersey (of all places) for adoption. They can't keep enough en-route it seems. Never would have thought it.

Old 05-10-15, 05:46 PM
Vic,
Cat vs dog controversy has gone on forever. She claims that she can get cats and kittens adopted without trying. And that's fine with me as long as it doesn't affect me. The way she got these critters is rather interesting. Like so many clients this lady brings in this cat to be spaded, most probably knowing it was pregnant. She just wanted to get rid of the litter. Instead of thinking ahead many people wait till it's too late. Anyway, in most cases the vets will spade the female and just destroy whatever is in there be it babies or not. My daughter does not like that practice but her boss would have a fit if they don't. In this case the vet tech noticed that one of the babies was breathing. Dr. Amy (my daughter) took another look and found four more living kittens. In most cases they don't survive during a spading procedure. Without her boss knowing it she took the new borns home and for the past five weeks has been nursing them day and night (This is the second attempt at this. The first try none survived.). Since no mother is available she must use an eye dropper and feed formula each one through out the night and day. She has been very surprised they survived during the day while she is working (she has to sneak them into the clinic) for the better part of twelve hours. But now they are getting a bit too big to sneak in. At this point they pretty much have their eyes open and can get about on their own locomotion. Of course she and her husband have picked out their favorite that they are going to keep. They already have a cat along with the dog , several turtles, a GD Golden Macaw, and several other critters that I can't remember. So that's 1 down 4 to go.

Here's a few photo's. I'm not that good with the camera.

Old 05-10-15, 05:50 PM
Furd,

I have only one thing to say about your post. Why would anybody want a cat when you can have a dog as a life long pal?

Last edited by Norm201; 05-10-15 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-10-15, 07:21 PM
Norm if you lived closer and I didn't have as much clutter as I do now I would adopt a kitten I think they are all bright and smart looking.

I like cats myself and have never cared much for dogs I never wanted dog slobber on me or a dog jumping all over me. I know that is appealing to some people but not to me. Cats though can be taught the same as dogs for some things an example I had one cat who would fetch paper tape rings from scotch tape holders.

Another cat really liked water melon and would beg me for a piece every time I ate it which made our relationship very close. The debate though as to what is the best pet will never really end. I just like cats better myself but admire dog owners from afar.

Old 05-10-15, 07:59 PM
Group Moderator
Cats rule, dogs drool.

Having a dog is like having a kid, you can't go anywhere without them. If you have to go, you have to find somebody to let them out and check on them. If we need to go away for the weekend we leave out a extra litter box, food and water and they are good to go.

People come over to out house and the cats look at them, we go over to others house with dogs and you get jumped on, barked at, your car door gets jumped on, and likely you get a nose in your crotch.

I don't mind dogs, some are just hard to tolerate.

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 05-11-15 at 04:55 AM.
Old 05-10-15, 11:44 PM
Furd,

I have only one thing to say about your post. Why would anybody want a cat when you can have a dog as a life long pal?
My mother always preferred dogs so I grew up with them. No dog has EVER been as friendly towards me as any of my cats. Douglas IS my best friend and he has already lived longer than most dogs.

Tolyn, you have hit the nail exactly!

Most dogs I can tolerate for a limited amount of time, some not at all. A few cats over the years were total brats but they have been few and far between.

This is the shelter picture of Douglas. I fell in love with him as soon as I saw it. I didn't realize he was a fuzzy cat until I actually met him.

Name:  douglas.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  18.7 KB

He was about 3-1/2 years old then, he is now about 17 and just as sassy as ever.

Search this Thread