Changing times

Old 05-13-15, 02:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Changing times

My truck driver son bought a place less than a month ago. I was shocked when both the light company and water works demanded proof of ownership or rental agreement before they'd turn on the utilities ..... like someone would shell out cash for deposit and turning them on

He got his DOT physical last week and went to get his address changed on his CDL but they wouldn't do it because he didn't have 4 items proofing he moved so he went to work figuring he'd get it taken care of later. Wouldn't you know it, the truck broke down on the scales yesterday and among other things they flagged his license for having the wrong address DOT gave him a 24 hr [?] permit to get it rectified. So he rolled into town this morning and went to the DMV with 4 papers showing he lived at his new address - and they wouldn't accept them!

Contract with light company - no good, must be a bill .... which hasn't come out yet, same thing with the water company. Insurance papers don't count, so he spent the whole day scrambling to satisfy the people at the DMV so he could go back to work.

I know 9/11 changed things but this is ridiculous!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-15, 03:23 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Wow, I thought NY was bad. All he has to say is, I'm not going to put up with your discrimination. I'll see you in court. Then leave the DMV. Before the end of the day, they will call him.

Old 05-13-15, 03:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As you can imagine it's not all that easy to get a CDL so he doesn't want to do anything to jeopardize it much less loose his job. He's back on the road now

I wonder sometimes if one of the qualifications for being a gov't employee is to be partially brain dead

Old 05-13-15, 03:36 PM
Hah! I remeber when UI first got my passport back in the mid 90s I needed to come up with some forms of ID. One of which that qualified was a library card. We left the passport office, went down the block to the library to get a library card. Because I had moved since I last had their card, I needed to prove my current address. The only thing I had was the application for the passport. I offered that to the library and they accepted it. Went back to the passport office and got my passport.

Old 05-13-15, 03:54 PM
Temporarily Suspended
None of what I said would jeopardize anything. It would put him in the driver's seat. (pun intended).

Let me comment on the question of qualifications not just for gov employees but for all employees. I discussed it with a Human Resource woman at Micro Center. In our time, an application was used to verify, if the applicant was qualified to do the job. Today, applications are composed to actually determine the applicants political profile & if it meets that of the status quo. For example, here is an actual question, true or false: A first time marijuana should get a second chance? I said yes. The woman slowly turned her head towards me. The answer that they want is an emphatic NO. My point is that the question had NOTHING to do with how well an applicant can do the job. Around the same time, I applied for a job with Circuit City, now defunct. They gave me 150 questions some of them asking about friends in the 8th grade. At that time, 8th grade was over 40 years ago. Again, none of it determined if I were qualified to do the job or not.

Old 05-13-15, 04:04 PM
Group Moderator
Never mind "Changing Times"...... how about "Trying Times"

NJ DMV uses a six point system where different items are assigned different point values. They came up with the system to address out of state people getting licenses.

I brought in the six points and got an electronic picture license. I was able to renew it online. My parents are in the 65+ age group and are required to return to MV for their renewal.
I could say more and elaborate on the situation at the risk of being politically incorrect.

Last edited by PJmax; 05-13-15 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-13-15, 04:38 PM
None of what I said would jeopardize anything. It would put him in the driver's seat. (pun intended).
Pulpo,
Technically you might be right. But erroring on the side of caution when one's home, and job is concerned is the better choice. It's like confronting the guy who commits road rage. You can confront him but you never know the consequences until its too late. In the situation of marksrs son, threatening legal action to a public servant or clerk is not wise. A simple misplaced form or mis-keyed data input can cause major life disruption. Better to get legal consul first (if you can spend the time and money) then go back not with a threat but actual legal action. IMHO

Old 05-13-15, 04:55 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I don't get the ANALogy to the road rage but besides that, I know someone who mentioned discrimination to the clerk but not with the intentions that I described. However, it worked out that way. The bosses wanted to put the breaks on it, right away. That's why I suggested it & that's why I would do it, myself. It's time to stop the current harassment, of the working class, by the ruling class. If we don't defend ourselves, it will get worse.

Old 05-13-15, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
Mark...How the heck did they know the address was wrong if he hadn't changed it yet? 4 items for the DMV is a bit stupid. How about just a lease or mortgage? What if all your bills are paid online? I've shown a lease in the past, but never 4 items. What if you're renting and utilities are paid? The most you'd have would be the lease and insurance...

Some of the utility stuff I can kind of understand. I'll bet they had some issues or were advised somehow that they needed to have proof.

Old 05-13-15, 04:59 PM
I brought in the six points and got an electronic picture license. I was able to renew it online. My parents are in the 65+ age group and are required to return to MV for their renewal.
That's really interesting. I'm wondering if it is to make sure that person is still alive.

Old 05-13-15, 05:03 PM
Oh. This is great. I went to the website to see what I can find out about renewing when over 65. While they don't mention online renewel at all, they do mentioned this "Note: Customers who are eligible for mail-in renewal and choose to visit an MVC agency instead will be required to present 6 Points of Identification and have a new photo and signature captured."

Old 05-13-15, 05:29 PM
Group Moderator
My father just received his renewal and it says must renew in person at a MV center. He's not too happy as the MV office is like a thorn in most peoples side.

Old 05-13-15, 06:46 PM
In Maryland the rules are really strange for a license renewal for some people you can do it online. For others like my elderly mother who has a hard time getting around she would have to go to the DMV. For still others who only need an identification card you can get it renewed online only cheaper than for a license. You would think the pricing structure would be the same.

Old 05-13-15, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator
Well, rules vary everywhere of course. I was gob-smacked (yeah I just read an article where they used it) when I got my license here, it didn't have to be renewed til I was 65. I thought it might be just because of my initial age att, but it seems to be good from the age of 21 on. So you could possibly go 44 yrs without renewal.

Old 05-13-15, 07:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Stacking stories......went to get new "universally accepted" GA driver's license. Must have birth certificate. I've never had one. They told me to go to the courthouse, get one and come back. Court clerk asked my name and birthdate and asked for $10. Handed me certified copy of birth certificate. That was scary.

Last edited by chandler; 05-14-15 at 03:12 AM.
Old 05-13-15, 08:08 PM
Washington state has a seven-year cycle for driver's licensing. They allow a person to renew on line every other cycle so it can be fourteen years between visits to the licensing office, which as I understand, is now operated by contract rather than state employees. They also charge an "agency fee" for anything other than cash or check used to pay.

Since I renewed on line last time I need to go into the office this time, probably this Friday.

Old 05-14-15, 03:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not positive but I think tenn is the same with the every other time on line. What surprises me is since I've lost sight in my right eye I haven't had to take an eye test at the DMV I understand that they streamline those with perfect driving records but what if the sight in my good eye was compromised

The main reason some states require older drivers to renew their license in person is so they can reevaluate their ability to drive I know some older folks no longer have the ability to drive safely but don't think that's fair to the majority of older drivers ..... wonder if my opinion would change if I was a young whipper snapper

How the heck did they know the address was wrong if he hadn't changed it yet?
I'm not positive but I think his DOT card had his new address and his CDL the old address. Breaking down on the scales meant they decided to go over the truck and paper work with a fine tooth comb

Old 05-14-15, 05:48 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I'm sorry to hear that you have a bum eye. Going blind is my worst fear. There is such a thing as eye exercises which I try to remember to do. Some of them are yoga eye exercises. I use 99 cent store reading glasses. The lowest strength is 100. At one point, I had to go up to 125. Tai Chi helped me go back to 100, believe it or not.

If any DMV evaluates old people, in person, I suggest that you don't use the term whipper snapper just like I should have used the term 'a bum eye'. Both of those expressions date us.

Old 05-14-15, 06:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not just Government big company's are the same. Retired after 40 years with company and in 6 months was getting bored and old boss called and asked if I wanted to work part time. Since over 6 months had to take all new employees basic tests to se if I could do the job I had been doing for many years with them. don't think boss even looked at them just wanted paper work done.

Old 05-14-15, 06:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I could be mistaken but I don't think I've ever filled out a job application for a job that I got I've always just talked to whoever was in charge of hiring and got the job that way .... but then I haven't tried to get hired by anyone in over 20 yrs [not counting customers who needed painting done]

Old 05-14-15, 06:49 AM
Temporarily Suspended
marksr, there was a time that one could be hired on the spot but other than day workers, it doesn't happen any more. These days they want to know your thought process & if it fits a certain psychological profile. Your answers to certain questions on the application which is really far more than an application, tells them if you should be hired or not. A lot of it has nothing to do with your knowledge of the job. I wouldn't stand a chance applying for a job under those circumstances.

Old 05-14-15, 08:34 AM
Admin Emeritus

Changing Times? Times are allows changing. Once it's gone, you can never get it back!

Never seem to have enough "TIME?" No problem. Your search for TIME has ended pilgrim........below is the Gift Of Time just for you....

Name:  clock.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  11.8 KB

(Credit Source Unknown)

BTW: Say you're not handy? Can't make anything?? Wrong! You can always make TIME!...
Which is always better then DOING TIME!!!!.........

"And now you know the rest of the story." (Credit Source: The late but great Paul Harvey)

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 05-14-15 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-14-15, 04:53 PM
I think I have filled applications out twice. It was weird and a waste of time. I show up with a portfolio with my resume and pictures of my work. Actually, in recent years, I just email it to them before they even call me. I bring they hard copy out of habit I guess.

Old 05-14-15, 10:44 PM
pulpo, I refuse to fill out those evaluation quizzes as they are useless. It doesn't matter if you have 60 years exp or 6 days if they don't like your answers they don't hire you. I once tried to apply at one fast food place and they had 60 questions like You and your friends got a new video game and you have to learn the rules what do you do? learn as you go,read the rules then explain them to everyone else or read the rules out loud? One was like your at your station you here some other employees talking about another employee and how slow she is. What do you do?

Old 05-15-15, 03:49 AM
Most places now days go through an employment agency. There is no need for companies to hire from off the street. They can be very picky. Very few places hire from direct application. Our store is one of them. But then again we have a high turn over but also start out at minimum wage. You kinda get what you pay for.

Old 05-15-15, 03:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I suspect that a small independent company is more likely to hire someone directly and/or without an application where as big corporations want all the paper work filed. While I have been employed by a few large painting outfits, it was decades ago and face to face with whoever was in charge of hiring always worked best.

Thinking back, twice I worked for a short time in factories one of which was thru a temp agency so I guess I filled out applications for those jobs.

Old 05-15-15, 05:14 AM
Temporarily Suspended
flirty1, 100% correct. That's the way it is these days. Somehow employers are being convinced that those psychological questions will protect them from getting a dishonest employee or an employee who doesn't have an radical point of view, politically. An employee who can do the job seems to be a secondary consideration.

marksr, the temp jobs that you worked were probably many years ago & the applications wouldn't have included the profiling that I described. The changes that look new to retired & semi retired people, have been around at least 15 years. That's when learned about it.

Old 05-15-15, 07:05 AM
I did have to fill out a four-page form the last time I got a job but that was with a big corporation and also some thirty-five years ago. I don't recall that it had the psychological questions that are now asked and I have never had to do a drug test.

Luckily I have a secure retirement because being the ornery cuss I am (didn't think I would admit it, did you?) I would NEVER be able to supply satisfactory answers.

Search this Thread