A Suspicious death

Old 05-29-15, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator
A Suspicious death

Yesterday, a dead body was found inside a suitcase near the airport. The DA is calling it a suspicious death! Ya think!

And here I always thought it was perfectly normal and natural for someone to end up in a suitcase after they die, lol!

Last edited by Shadeladie; 05-29-15 at 11:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-15, 09:32 AM
Group Moderator
No... you're confused. That's heads in a suitcase. Not the entire body.

Old 05-29-15, 09:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Tanya Tucker:
When I die, just let me go to Texas...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZmg5yRTRDg

Maybe someone took the person literally... & put'em in a suitcase, on a flight for Texas.... ???

Old 05-29-15, 10:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
didn't you know that after you die you pack yourself into a suitcase and take a vacation

Old 05-29-15, 02:39 PM
The one that throws me is when the newspaper reports that a person who had their throat slit or was shot in the head "died of unnatural causes". Now I think it is entirely natural for a person whose throat was slit or who was shot in the head to die.

Old 05-29-15, 08:50 PM
The commercials that really get me are those that those lawyers put on television when they say if you or a loved one died of whatever from whatever you may be entitled to compensation. I was always told you can't take it with you, maybe I was told wrong?

Old 05-30-15, 03:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Richard, you are right in that you can't take it with you. Note: there are no trailer hitches on hearses . BUT, your relatives can suck on the crawfish head long after you are gone, and the attorney factor will get all the meat.

Old 05-30-15, 04:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is a photograph at our local pharmacy that shows a hearse at a cemetery with what appears to be a U-Haul trailer hooked to it. Close examination reveals the trailer is actually outside of the cemetery but at first glance it looks to be real

I always found it strange when the news would report that a gentleman was arrested for rape ... I didn't know gentlemen did those type of things!

Last edited by marksr; 05-30-15 at 04:19 AM. Reason: fix typo
Old 05-30-15, 04:09 AM
Temporarily Suspended
In NY we have a bunch of unsolved murders. 10 of them are called The Long Island Serial Killer Case. Most of them were prostitutes dumped along a 17 mile stretch of beaches. It would take too long to go into details. However, I've been researching them & have already called Crime Stoppers with my tip. I'm not holding my breath for my $25,000 reward money.

Old 05-30-15, 04:18 AM
I have been inundated with calls from the Democrat Chronicle newspaper in Rochester regarding an unsolved murder of a young girl who, somehow, was tied to a Prison Ministry the former owners of our house (now deceased) ran from our rental cabin.

Wifey even ran off some guy with a camera who wanted to go up to the cabin and take pictures.

Old 05-30-15, 04:26 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Chandler, over the years, I always heard about "company policy". We are always told that something can't be done because of "company policy" or it's not our policy. I decided that if companies can have policies, so can I. One of my policies is "I don't do interviews". I despise the media. I wouldn't give them the time of day. You may want to adopt my policy.

Another policy that I have is, I don't sign petitions. You might want to adopt that one too.

Old 05-30-15, 04:37 AM
...have already called Crime Stoppers with my tip.
We have a Crime Stompers here as well. They advertise that all calls can be anonymous. I always wonder how an anonymous tipster can collect the reward.

Pulpo, those are good policies!

Old 05-30-15, 04:56 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Furd, generally when there is a call to a toll free number or any number to a Private Branch Exchange (PBX), it is not anonymous. The person who answers the calls may not be able to see your number but it certainly can be retrieved. Crime Stoppers gives each caller a reference #. Mine happens to be 5 digits. If & when I want to collect my reward (fat chance), I'll give them my reference # which I wrote on the wall. I have my doubts that anyone actually receives the reward money. The "Son Of Sam" case always comes to mind. A lady in Brooklyn gave a tip that lead to David Berkowitz's arrest & conviction. She saw a cop write a parking ticket, at the time of one of the shootings. I wonder if she were ever paid the reward.

Old 05-30-15, 05:20 AM
I knew that about 800 numbers but not about a PBX. In fact, I doubt that it would be true of an older PBX. Even so, unless someone called from a number listed to an individual they would have no way of knowing exactly who made the call, only the telephone number it had been made from. The reference number certainly could be used to identify a particular caller while still leaving that caller anonymous but would they issue a check in that amount to be paid to cash?

Like you, I wonder how often, if ever, they actually do pay the reward.

My biggest beef with our local TV program (Washington's Most Wanted) is that they don't have enough of co-host Parella Lewis. Parella Lewis | Q13 FOX News Fortunately she also does the weather report on Friday and Saturday news broadcasts.

Yeah, I'm a pig.

Old 05-30-15, 05:57 AM
Temporarily Suspended
By the time it gets to the point where someone is going to collect a reward, that person's ID is known to Crime Stoppers. They won't write a check to cash & even if they did, the person has to sign it. The idea of anonymous is for people who are afraid of reprisals. I know a woman who called about the same case, that I did. She called from a pay phone. She thinks that it was her ex husband who is a retired NYC cop. She didn't even ask for a reference #.

The subject of tracing or spoofing calls to or from a PBX & other phone topics, can go on forever. It's called "phreaking". Phreaking is to phones what hacking is to computers. Years ago, a guy named John Drapper learned from some blind guys that if you blew a whistle, from a Captain Crunch cereal box, into a pay phone, the phone would think that you put money in it & allow the call. Drapper was nick named Captain Crunch. In those days, the phone system was wide opened for play. Once the telco caught wind of it, they had to make some changes. As you press the numbers on a phone to make a call, you hear a tone. Actually, you hear two tones together. That was one of the changes made to stop the whistle from working. It's called DTMF - Dial Tone Multi Frequency. That's just a drop in the bucket when it comes to phone phreaking.

Old 05-30-15, 06:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
To answer the question; "How does Crimestoppers pay an anonymous tipster?"....
It seems like there a few different ways Crimestoppers pays. Here is one of them.

"All callers are given an I.D. number that they’re asked to keep track of. If their tip leads to an arrest, that’s all they’ll need to collect.

“Basically we give them a bank transaction number,” Straver outlines. “They go to any T.D. Canada Trust in the greater Toronto area, and the bank employees are well versed on how Crime Stoppers works."

“They check it on their computer to assure that we’ve okayed that amount, and once they see that it’s okay, they put the money in an envelope and out the door they walk.”

How Does Crime Stoppers Pay You If They Don't Ask Your Name? - CityNews

Old 05-30-15, 06:34 AM
Temporarily Suspended
"All callers are given an I.D. number that they’re asked to keep track of. If their tip leads to an arrest, that’s all they’ll need to collect.
A conviction is needed too.

Old 05-30-15, 07:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
"........The re-enactment offered US$1,000.00 for information leading to the arrest of the killers."

"........and offering cash rewards for information leading to an arrest and/or conviction."

Crime Stoppers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So apparently, a conviction isn't necessary. Tips that lead to an arrest are eligible for rewards.

Old 05-30-15, 07:10 AM
Temporarily Suspended
That's news to me.
---------------------

Old 05-30-15, 07:14 AM
Although I have never been in a position to offer any information it is good to know that they actually do have a method for paying off on anonymous information.

Thanks, Dixie!

Old 05-30-15, 04:00 PM
But then the bank teller knows who you are, and they gossip. Soon your whole neighborhood will know you were the snitch and the perp's brother in law knows your neighbor, and .................well, you see it may or may not work.