Viewing Selection

Old 06-07-15, 05:02 AM
Viewing Selection

I've already canceled my cable, they just haven't pulled the plug as yet, but perhaps that is making me more sensitive to the worthless selection they are offering. I had one of their minimum packages so only $83 a month, but even at that one should expect something of value. Last night Jurassic Park was on 4 channels simultaneously, I only get about 20 channels worth flipping through. Between re-runs from the 60's (or earlier) and them grinding out the last few dollars from Harry P, it's no wonder so many people watch the news, it's the only thing new.

But my complaint is re-runs. After I've seen something 20 times even my bad memory knows what's coming next. People talk about the death of cable, but I'm seeing the death of the entire entertainment industry. Why should they make new movies when they can sell the old ones to every new generation, many times?

Bud

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-15, 05:23 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Only a well organized boycott will force a change. Millions of people per day would have to cancel, for a month straight & demand customer decided packages. People enjoy going back in time, especially with old movies. Hence the reruns. Personally, I don't want to go back beyond last week. That's far enough.

Old 06-07-15, 05:24 AM
Actually, I think entertainment is getting better. With the cable channels and companies like Netflix getting into generating content, you are getting shows that are far more entertaining than what a network channel would have allowed. With streaming services, you have access to a lot of independant movies as well.

Old entertainment is a sign of the times it was made. Young audiences aren't very likely to identify with it as much as they would something more recent.

Old 06-07-15, 05:39 AM
Temporarily Suspended
That's great for people who watch movies. I guess that I'm one of the few who don't care about them.

Old 06-07-15, 07:36 AM
I know when I visited the relatives in NJ it could take 15 minutes to page through their selection, but up here in the sticks I can get half the channels I watch with an antenna. And as you point out, if I want a movie I can rent, or download it. I just don't see the $80 value, especially for me. And I'm part of an expanding generation (the baby boomers).

Personally, I find the internet far more entertaining. Ironically, for a guy who never read a complete book through high school (needed glasses but mom and dad couldn't afford them) I read probably 2 hours per day now and my stack of printed information waiting for me is huge.

I know their programming varies around the rating season, and this must be one of those times, but if I were to block out the channels I rarely watch I would be down to just 6 or 8 that provide 90% of my viewing. I just think they could do a much better job, but I bet that would reduce their profits.

Bud

Old 06-07-15, 07:39 AM
The way to get what you want is to delete the cable altogether, but keep the high end internet service. The money from the cable bill should go to a high end computer that will stream video. Then get something like ROKO, Google's Chromecast, etc... Of course you'll also want an over the air antenna.

Old 06-07-15, 08:16 AM
Norm, I agree and that is where I'm headed. I tested a small over the air antenna and got 9 channels, just one primary channel will require a better or taller antenna. My arm out the window brought that one in. Plus, I need a new computer anyway.

Bud

Old 06-07-15, 08:57 AM
Bud, I'm a big fan of desktop computers, but for this application perhaps a laptop might be a better choice for a TV streamer.

I may look into this whole matter also. I've always wanted to cut the cable but just never got around to doing it.

What bugs me the most is the fact that on any package I choose I'm stuck with four or five religious channels and several shopping channels. And although I like sports, I don't need four or five.

I would like to choose the following....

All local over the air channels
SYFY channel
History channel
Weather channel
TCM
TNT
Hallmark
DSC
AMC
TVLand
TBS
and in my case 2 Canadian over the air channels that I can't get too easily with an ordinary antenna.

So all in all I want about 21 channels. I have access to about 400 channels, none of which I want or watch. I know the FCC requires certain programs must be carried or available, but why can't I use a cafeteria style or menu type option to choose what I want. Let the free enterprise system work and then we'll see what can stick by the number of people who want to subscribe to what kind of programming. Freedom of choice? Yea, right!

See, now you got me started.

Old 06-07-15, 09:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm stuck. Live in a semi valley surrounded by mountains. No line of sight antenna action. No cable available. Only way is "up", so we have satellite.

Old 06-07-15, 11:26 AM
Bud, there are certain "facts of life" that apply to ALL television programming these days. Those facts include endless reruns, infomercials, butchered movies, "reality" shows, "talent" shows, religious programming up the ying-yang and ten-fifteen episode "seasons".

I dumped my cable about a year ago and I haven't looked back. I don't know what you were getting for your $80 a month as I was only paying about $25. For my $25 I received all the local stations, two PBS stations, the public information (government) stations, public access, a couple of weather only stations, a community college station, a couple of university stations, at least a dozen religious stations and another dozen shopping channels. I did not get any of the stations that Norm listed other than the weather and one Canadian channel. I also got a station (ME TV) that played only old series.

On antenna I receive most of the local channels although only one PBS station. I lost the Canadian channel and ME TV. I lost all the cable-only channels of course but retained most of the religious and shopping channels. My television (and auxiliary tuners) can "recognize" about 40 different channels although about a dozen are too weak to actually lock in and be able to watch. Once I bypass the religious, shopping, foreign language and no-interest channels along with the ones that don't lock in, I am left with about fifteen watchable channels.

Every single channel has infomercials late at night. The "secondary" channels ALL have innumerable repeats, ION will run several hours a day of the same series, currently they run Ghost Whisperer for (I think), six hours a day on Wednesday and Friday. I think they are on the third go-around since they started this a bout three months ago. Another secondary channel, Decades, is running non-stop Beverly Hillbillies this weekend and next weekend it will be That Girl. The secondary channels will run the same movie at least a half-dozen times a week UNLESS it is actually a movie you want to watch in which case it is once only.

I record about 90% of what I watch so I can fast forward through the commercials. I program my recorders for a week, sometimes two weeks, in advance and lately I have only had maybe a half-dozen shows a week that I would even record and that includes the DIY-type shows. ATOH and TOH have gone into reruns starting this week so those have been deleted from my recording schedule. The network shows I watch are all on summer hiatus at this time. If I could still get ME TV (the over-the-air station is about 60 miles away in the wrong direction from all other channels) I might be watching a bunch of 60's reruns but...

I really can't complain though as it gives me more time to do more worthwhile things, like sleep.

Old 06-07-15, 12:46 PM
I personally believe now that Microsoft is eliminating their Media Center software that going the way of a computer really isn't the way anymore. I believe that either a Roku of an Amazon Fire Stick or something like that is the way to go. Both have PBS if you want that and both will stream from Amazon prime, Hulu Plus or Netflix to name a few. Plus too neither cost all that much and are a great deal cheaper to buy than a computer. My media center computer didn't cost me much as I had Amazon gift cards so I used them to reduce my cost of purchase.

Old 06-07-15, 08:46 PM
I cut the satellite 4 years ago and only miss it during NFL playoffs. I so looked forward to when I got cable back in the 80's because Saturday and Sunday mornings there was only children's and religious shows on. Even then at $19 a month, sometimes there was nothing that I wanted to see. I finally cut it off when it reached $75/month and still nothing on I wanted to see. I now have an antenna and Netflix. Most happy now.

Forgot to mention an OTA DVR. That helps a great deal.

Old 06-08-15, 05:04 AM
That sounds familiar. Mine also started at about $19 and there were 5 of us to watch it. Now the kids are gone and the wife is part time between here and my daughters, grandkids need gammy. So, at $80 it had become ridiculous for just me, especially since I do live close enough to use air reception. I wonder how many others out there are making the same decisions we are hearing here?

Bud

Old 06-08-15, 11:39 AM
I wonder how many others out there are making the same decisions we are hearing here?
Quite a few at least according to this one poll I saw on Mashable Why millennials are increasingly cutting the cord . The main thing the cost and as has been mentioned the same old thing being seen and some of that not too great. Of course there are still people who subscribe to cable mainly because they want live television and may be in an area where antenna reception is poor. Of those who can cut the cord though more and more are doing it every day.

Old 06-08-15, 04:25 PM
I'm with you Bud. I would like to cut the cord and go 100% streaming, but there are a few shows I want to hang on to.

Pulpo, Netflix and Amazon are making their own tv shows. They also have TV shows available to watch from cable and network channels. I would consider getting Amazon Fire TV or Roku over a high end PC for streaming. I got a Smart TV a month or so ago and just got an Amazon Fire TV box for the TV downstairs. It works great. Lots of shows available. Of course Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu require subscription fees. Actually, you don't need Amazon Prime for their streaming, but you will have to pay to watch shows and movies. It may be worth your while to buy shows you watch vs. paying for cable.