Glad I'm not a father.

Old 06-12-15, 10:22 AM
Glad I'm not a father.

Found this on a "local" TV news site. I put local in quotation marks because the local family that started and owned the station for decades sold out to an east coast conglomerate about a year ago.

Anyway, this Seattle Refined feature is mostly advertising and what isn't advertising is mostly stupid in my opinion. This article is making suggestions for Father's Day gifts. Man, with suggestions like these I'm sure glad I'm not a father.

Father's Day Gift Guide | Lifestyle | Seattle Refined - Life is Different Here

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-15, 10:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hope my kids don't read that or at least have sense enough to know none of that is for me

I read the local newspapers online every day. 1 of them consistently has an article [content changes] that is nothing but a paid advertisement. I guess they figure if it looks like news you'll go ahead and read it

Old 06-12-15, 03:44 PM
Yuck .

HAHAHA! I figured out why this article sucks so bad. Here's the author:

http://www.komonews.com/seattlerefin...236594451.html

Old 06-12-15, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah, Seattlites (I dunno whether thats spelled right) are a little strange IMO. At least the 20-40 crowd.

I'm also glad I'm not a father...the child support would have killed me!

Old 06-12-15, 08:22 PM
Seattleites [Seattle ites] ARE more than a bit weird and yes, especially any under the age of fifty. Of course, it is mostly the immigrants (mostly from California) rather than those born in Seattle (). I moved out of Seattle, and King County, almost forty years ago and I have never for one single second regretted that decision.

Truth is, I try to avoid Seattle as much as possible. I DID drive into north Seattle last night, looking for some "curb alerts" I saw on Craig's List (I was too late) and since I was in the right neighborhood I stopped at the Chinese fast food place. I think it was an old ice cream or maybe burger joint once but it has been the Chinese place for at least forty years. The food is good and the prices the lowest of any Chinese restaurant in the greater Seattle area, especially considering the large quantity of food.

I'll be going in to Seattle again on Saturday but this time to the histerical () museum where I used to volunteer.

Old 06-12-15, 08:31 PM
Droo, it isn't just Britt Thorson that is a flake, almost ALL of the people working for news media in the Seattle area are idiots. Here's another: Tour an electrical time machine: The Georgetown Steam Plant | The Seattle Times

So many mistakes and misconceptions in that story it made me sick and when I e-mailed the author letting her know of a few of her mistakes and letting her know I was available if she wanted to know the REAL story, she replied with, "Thank you for reading". Yes, this is the historical museum where I used to volunteer and forty years ago was actually paid to work there. When she writes of the telephone horn sounding...it is because of me that it works.

Old 06-13-15, 03:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
She loves to write, talk, eat and sleep. Is that all there is to life?? I noted all the gifts are completely artsy fartsy, and totally useless. My daughter bought me a Filson over coat. It is wool. It is really nice, and I appreciate it. I can't wear it except to church, because I am afraid of getting it dirty. Where would I get it cleaned? It came with a catalog (naturally) in the package. I cannot bring myself to look at the prices as they are way out of my reach.

Last edited by chandler; 06-13-15 at 04:38 AM.
Old 06-13-15, 04:04 AM
I'm not against Father's Day and things like that, but this "obligation" to gives gifts just frustrates me. I ask my kids to just get me a Tim Horton's (Canadian and Western New York coffee house) gift cards. Cheap, easy and no worry about where to store it.

Old 06-13-15, 04:40 AM
Droo, it isn't just Britt Thorson that is a flake,
I do have a hard time believing that being a journalist requires a college degree.

Old 06-13-15, 04:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Of course it does, droo. How else will you gain indoctrination into the cult? I have one, but thankfully saw the light and went back to Tech school for diploma courses that helped in the real world.