what is fast food?

Old 06-19-15, 03:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
what is fast food?

My wife loves Myrtle Beach so we go there at least once every year. I've known for a long time that the fast food joints there are slow. I don't know if they are slower this year or I'm just getting more impatient as I age. Every time we went to a fast food place we had to wait 20-45 minutes for the food AFTER it was ordered and paid for The sit down restaurants take the same or less time to get your food ...... and I prefer them anyway

That's my rant for the day/week while my wife could have stayed at the beach longer, I'm glad to be back in the mountains

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-15, 04:10 AM
I wonder if the servers, order takers or whatever, were young kids or senior citizens? I for one do not like it if a senior takes my order. They are slow and do not know what the heck they are doing. On the other hand the young kids don't care. But the kids tend to be faster. I'm a senior and work as a store associate, but I don't think seniors should be allowed to work fast food environments. They just can't hack it!

Old 06-19-15, 04:25 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I never eat in fast food places, such as McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, etc..... In NY we have excellent delicatessens. Some of them are to go only & others have tables. When I moved to Florida for a year, there were none. They didn't even know what a buttered roll was. The coffee sucked. I found a home in IHOP.

Being below the Mason Dixon line could be part of the problem. Things are a lot slower than NY. No one here would wait that long in a fast food place. A trick that I used in Florida was I would go to dinner at 4:30. That way, I would beat the rush that started at 5. I used to go to either Ruby Tuesdays or Outback. Your wife might like those places. Eat at the bar. You always meet nice people. Since a liquor license cost so much money in FL, they were the only two restaurants that had a full bar. My landlady told me to meet her at a steak house the first night that I arrived. I walked in to the place & said "What no bar"? A waitress pointed to a Walgreens & whispered to me that I can buy liquor there & she would serve me a mixer. So, that's what I did.

Old 06-19-15, 04:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I assume the biggest issue is with Myrtle Beach being a tourist town - no incentive to do a good job
There were 9 of us ranging in age from 7 yr old to 76 so we ate at a lot of different places to keep everyone happy. I don't recall fast food being slow anywhere else in the south other than at the beach.

Old 06-19-15, 05:17 AM
Temporarily Suspended
no incentive to do a good job
I wouldn't blame the workers or the fact that it's a tourist town. When I see slow service anywhere, I look to see if there are enough workers, on the job. Most times, there should have been more help. I have asked workers, in front of all the customers who are waiting, "Are you working alone"? Just the other day, I was in Dollar Tree. I said to the cashier, in a loud voice, "Can you call for another cashier"? Another cashier who was right there, opened another register. That cut the waiting time down to about 5 minutes. In your case, I would either go to dinner at 4:30 or boycott the slow places. You seem to be way more patient than I am.

Old 06-19-15, 05:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think there was 6 of us that stopped at an ice cream shop. We were the only customers and there were 4 employees in the store - still took 15-20 minutes for us to each get an ice cream cone or shake

I don't recall ever having such slow service issues anywhere other than Myrtle Beach .... and it doesn't seem to matter which fast food joint you stop at.

Old 06-21-15, 05:45 AM
Group Moderator
I can't speak for other parts of the Sunshine State, but trust me around here a fast food place that took 20 minutes to get food up after ordering wouldn't be in business long. We routinely get our food in less than that in my son's favorite sit-down restaurant on Friday nights (Perkins).

Just back from three week driving vacation to DC, so ate plenty of fast food. Nowhere did it take more that 5 minutes to get food even at the Air & Space in DC (combo McDonald's/Boston Market/pizza) with twelve serving lines and 300 people in the order line.

OK, I give up, what's a "buttered roll"? A roll with butter on it?

FWIW, we had a hard time getting good grits in Maryland/DC.

Old 06-21-15, 06:26 AM
I'm not condoning the slow service in the South (I'm not used to it and I don't think I could ever get use to it). But us Northerns are way too fast in our daily life. I envy the Southners because they do in fact have a slower pace and attitude in the everyday life. More so in the rural areas. I suspect in the big cities that life is much more hectic.

Old 06-21-15, 05:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
In Atlanta (Georgia Tech specifically) we have a fast food place called the Varsity. Started back in 1928 by a drop out from Ga. Tech. It has thrived beyond belief over the years. Service is surprisingly fast. Nipsey Russell worked there at one time and made a few slogans in his comedic repertoire. One is posted as you enter one of the fastest lines and reads: "Have your money in your hand and your order in your mind, so I can get you in and out of this line". If you "duh" the order taker will say "NEXT" and you are SOL.

As Norm says, though, we are more laid back as a general rule. Fried chicken, collard greens with pot likker, cracklin' cornbread, fried okra and apple pie. Just eat what you want.

Old 06-21-15, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator
I know the Varsity! Not that I've visited, but one of the food shows was there. Triple D (Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives) or Man vs Food I think. Aren't they known for chili dogs?

Old 06-22-15, 03:34 AM
Chili cheese dogs. Slaw dogs, any way you want them. Compare the taste to, say, Nathan's, it is terrible. But it is "fast food". After wifey's surgery the other day, since she was on a soft/liquid diet, I stopped and got her some Ben and Jerry's for her to enjoy. From there, I knew my target......the Varsity in Dawsonville She doesn't allow me to eat hot dogs at home. I guess they cause cancer in roaches or something. Got my yearly dose of chili cheese dogs, fries and a "FO" (frosted orange shake).

Old 06-22-15, 04:03 AM
Group Moderator
I can speak to the faster lifestyle up there. Spent our vacation at brother's house in rural Maryland and sightseed (sightsaw?) in DC. It was about a ten mile drive from his house on two lane rural roads (twisty-turny, up & down) before we hit four lane on the way to the closest Metro station. Speed limit of 40. I drove at 45 and there wasn't a day I didn't have someone climbing my bumper the whole way with three or four cars close behind. I was trying to be a good visitor and not drive 5 mph UNDER the speed limit, which is the usual down here for out-of-staters, but it didn't matter. Seems like if I had driven 55 in the 40 I would still have had a bumper rider. Always had to stand to right side going up/down escalators at Metro stations, too, to avoid being stampeded by the people running up/down the escalators. Not my kind of lifestyle.

Old 06-22-15, 04:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There used to be a moderator that lived in California, I remember her talking about tailgating stating that after her accident she learned her lesson and now always leaves 1 car length between her car and the one in front of her

We traveled thru Cincinnati one Sunday morning, I was going 75+ mph in the middle lane [55 mph zone] and was getting passed on both sides like I was sitting still I like our country back roads

Old 06-22-15, 04:29 AM
That's why I hate going to Atlanta for anything. GA400 is nicknamed the Alpharetta Autobahn. Speed limit is mostly 65. Do that in the right lane at your own discretion. The other lanes, you will be run over. Most average I have experienced in the other lanes is at least 80.

Old 06-22-15, 06:08 AM
Group Moderator
They're in love with red light and speed cameras up there in Maryland/DC, too, so either all the locals know where they are or they don't care and just pay the fines as the price of cutting 2 minutes off their commutes.

Old 06-22-15, 06:42 AM
The OP reminded me of a photo I recently saw online of some young celebrity standing in a 45-minute line to enter McDonald's in Hong Kong or something. Seriously. If I were rich and traveled a lot the LAST thing I would be doing is wait 45 minutes for McDonalds.

Old 06-22-15, 11:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
marksr: Here in Cincy the 55 MPH signs are just a suggestion -unless an over zealous "smokey" is clocking cars.

Old 06-22-15, 11:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
in Cincy the 55 MPH signs are just a suggestion
I believe that!! We used to travel up I-75 every year when my parents were still alive and that section of the interstate is something else, if traffic wasn't backed up - everyone was flying!