Lightning storm

Old 06-28-15, 05:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Lightning storm

Wow, just got word from my daughter about the lightning storm that his Mount Bierstadt in Colorado this morning. 15 injured and a dog killed. She and her 7 year old son (my grandson, naturally, not bragging) went about 3/4 of the way to the summit. Her husband was about 20 ft. from the dog that was killed and experienced a little charge from the lightning through his feet. You just never know about storms. They can come up rather quickly. Glad no serious people injuries were incurred.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-15, 07:33 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Wow, what a horror! I'm glad that they didn't suffer any serious injuries. Even that slight charge can do damage. I know a guy who was hit like that on a construction site. The lightning bounced off a crane & hit about 20 workers. Sometimes, it takes extra time for him to respond during a conversation, especially on the phone. Keep a look out for small things like that.

Old 06-28-15, 07:43 PM
Group Moderator
A maintenance guy I work with a lot was on vacation two weeks ago and got popped in Georgia, Atlanta I think. He seams OK but says he is REALLY sore. Said the car that he was next to did not fair so well.

Old 06-28-15, 08:32 PM
lightning hit the ball field in Cherry, MN this afternoon and a guy in his 70s was receiving CPR while a four year old was conscience but a little confused.

Look up Retief Goosen and his lightning experience....burned half his clothes off and he lives to tell about it. Can't seem to find a picture but he was one lucky guy.

Old 06-29-15, 07:06 AM
He seams OK ...
Seems.

Said the car that he was next to did not fair so well.
Fare.

You guys just keep feeding me the lines.

Old 06-29-15, 07:16 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Are we going to correct grammar & spelling now? I would be here all day, with all the mistakes that I see.

Old 06-29-15, 07:30 AM
Yes. :NO NO NO:

Old 06-29-15, 03:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's his job....................................

Old 06-29-15, 03:30 PM
Group Moderator
If it keeps Furd going, I'm fine with it.

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 06-29-15 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-29-15, 04:43 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Tolyn, since we are going to make corrections, you forgot the comma after going.

Old 06-29-15, 06:13 PM
Group Moderator
*sigh* Are you happy now? It must be pick on Tolyn day today.

Old 06-29-15, 06:33 PM
One Furd is enough.
One ex-friend was trying to teach EVERYONE how to speak in public. One of the bad habits many people have is to pause and insert "ehh" (hope I spelled that right) so he would make it obvious he was counting them. Most annoying and he ended up with a lot of ex-friends. There's a time and a place.

As for lightning, I was fishing on a small pond and could see the clouds moving in so pulled anchor and started to head in. I was figuring I had plenty of time, almost blue sky overhead. Wrong, mother nature let loose with a bolt that hit the bushed probably 50 yards from me and wow, I thought I was dead. Didn't take long to get off of the water after that. I had always thought the lightning would take the tree line before the flat water, but not thinking that anymore.

Bud

Old 06-29-15, 11:04 PM
Wow that is bad Larry I hope your son in law will do well. Lighting can do really bad things and sometimes it comes from a great distance. I remember a few years back a guy was watching a football game at one of our stadiums and you could hear thunder in the far distance but no one thought anything of it. Well too bad they didn't the man was hit by lighting and was killed. Rain storms I don't mind but when thunder and lighting is involved I stay away from that.

Old 06-30-15, 04:48 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Toyln, good job.

Bud, I have shut off interviews on the radio because people couldn't speak fluently with the ehhs, ums, ahs & all the rest.

Old 06-30-15, 05:16 AM
Pulpo, the counting was from his public speaking class and it does work, it is just that until someone masters eliminating all of the pauses, having someone sit there and count renders them unable to speak.

The part that bothers me the most is when the people obviously don't even try.

Back to the lightning, there was a news report the other day that showed a boat on the water and straight ahead the lightning struck the water several times. Just the water, no bushes or trees and I run around in an aluminum boat.

Bud

Old 06-30-15, 05:28 AM
Group Moderator
I run around in an aluminum boat.
At voltages that high, it wouldn't matter if you were in a plastic dingy, you could still get hit.

Old 06-30-15, 03:20 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Bud, I wasn't knocking the teacher's method. In fact, I agree that many people do not speak fluently, even in their own language. What's just as bad or worse is the lack of understood grammar. That also includes their own language. The thing that bothers me most is when past tense stories are told, in the present tense. My sister taught English as a second language (ESL) & even she does it.

Old 07-01-15, 05:07 AM
Group Moderator
Back to the topic: I heard an interview on NPR last night with the guy who's dog "Rambo" was killed when they both were struck. I found it quite interesting as I could relate it to my buddy getting hit. I think I will stick to 277v.