One Of Those Days

Old 07-22-15, 07:05 PM
Group Moderator
One Of Those Days

Go to my barber and find out she has sold the shop and the new lady doesn't do men's hair.

Go to the ATM. The one I chose is out of cash so had to l go around to get in line for the other ATM.

Went to the Family Dollar store for a pair of plain rubber flip flops. They have nothing but children and ladies sizes too small for me.

Go to the grocery store. Find some flip flops not plain, some weird graphic on them which meant they were more than 99˘ but not much. Got my groceries. Things are looking up.

Stop at Taco Bell to get my lunch to go. Get the senior discount and feeling better.

Four blocks from wham the guy runs the stop sign right into me. An hour in 95° heat waiting for the police.

Vans not repairable. Get it towed home. $150 for four blocks.

Call the drivers insurance company. 15 minutes on hold, half hour giving info, call drops before I could finish. Call back but they can't find the claim I started so had to start over.

Finally get to eat my now cold Cantina bowl from Taco Bell. Check my Email and find a voice mail from my phone. The first CR at the insurance also finished my claim. Now I have two claims and two people coming out to look at the van. Call the insurance company back but only the night people there and they can't help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-15, 07:08 PM
Group Moderator
Now I have two claims and two people coming out to look at the van.
Maybe they'll give you twice what it's worth.

Old 07-22-15, 07:31 PM
Group Moderator
I'll be lucky if they don't die laughing when they see my 86 Astrovan with 99999+ miles, no head liner, no door panels, and ripped donor seats from an unknown vehicle I found on a trash pile (weren't ripped eight years ago when I found them).

Old 07-22-15, 07:36 PM
Group Moderator
Being from Texas you see older vehicles still in drivable condition. Up here that would be a completely rusted pile of metal.

Old 07-22-15, 07:37 PM
Group Moderator
The best thing was it was so old I didn't have to take the yearly emission test.

Old 07-22-15, 07:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
My neck hurts thinking about it. Does yours?

Old 07-22-15, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator
Forget the rest of the stuff. Senior discount at TB? When does that kick in? I haven't eaten fast food in at least a month, but sometimes get an urge.

Oh, never mind, I looked it up...I have quite a few years to qualify there.

Old 07-22-15, 08:52 PM
Group Moderator
Larry beat me to a comment about your neck, but get a neck brace and wear it when the adjuster comes. Make sure they cover the tow and don't try to weasel out of it.

Old 07-22-15, 09:05 PM
Similar to what happened to me a couple of weeks ago.

It was Friday, the 10th, and I drove down to pick up my latest metal order for the riding lawnmower. Afterwards I decided to drive through the old neighborhood I grew up in and then I went looking for the office of the company that supplied my CPAP machine. I don't see the office but it would have been on the other side of the street and the overgrown trees probably obscured the front.

So I continue on the hamburger joint, Dick's, a Seattle institution. This is the original one, opened in 1954 and about a mile (maybe less) from my old high school. I get my gut bomb and finish eating in the car and then start the engine, check all three mirrors, look over my shoulder and start to back out of the parking space. WHAM! I say, "What the f&[email protected]#!" and drive back into the space, get out of the car and the driver of the truck that hit me comes up and asks if I am okay. I tell him, "Yeah, but what did you do to my car?" We go and look and the bumper is destroyed, the plastic body piece under the right tail light is destroyed, there is a dent in the quarter panel and the trunk lid has been severely dented and pushed out of alignment.

He's driving a F250 with a Service body and the rear bumper is slightly damaged and a dent in the lower part of the rear of the body. We exchange information. I feel for the kid when he tells me his boss has no sense of humor over such things and that this is the first time he has ever been in an accident. After exchanging info I leave.

Next stop is the body shop where I have taken my business for the last 25-30 years. I ask the woman if Bruce still has anything to do with the company and she tells me he is the owner. I reply that I've been retired for ten years and I know that Bruce is older than me (well, I think he is, maybe not), so I am somewhat relived as I know him to be totally honest and fair. Turns out that I need an appointment to get an estimate, especially since the trunk lid has been pushed out of alignment and may not even open. I show her that it does indeed open. Anyway, the soonest I can get an estimate appointment is the following Friday, the 17th.

Then I drive up to Harbor Freight (about three blocks) where I want to buy a strap with a plastic cam-over buckle for use as a battery hold-down on the lawnmower, All they have is a pack of four on sale for $9 and with the 20% off coupon becomes $7.20. I only need ONE strap but... I also want a rolling tool box and I have a coupon that brings the price down to less than $100. Trouble is, unless it is "knocked down" there is no way I can get it in the car. So I ask the woman and she tells me it is a KD that needs the legs assembled. It doesn't completely fit in the trunk but I am able to use my hold down strap (already have) to hold the trunk lid down. I go home.

Checking my E-mail I have a response from the owner of the Earthwise lawnmower I saw on Craig's List. I call her and we decide that I can come get it between 6:30 and 7. I go out and get the tool box out of the trunk and onto a HF furniture dolly (that I later cut down to hold the batteries of the riding lawnmower) and then drive out to her home which is fairly close. I get there right at 6:30. She's happy to get $25 for the mower, I'm happy to get the mower and I go home to spend the next few days inside.

Following Monday I call the insurance company, make the preliminary report and get a claim number and adjuster assignment. The adjuster calls me a couple of hours later and I give her a detailed report. She tells me that since I have full coverage I'll only be responsible for $300. She also tells me since both of us were backing they will likely assign each of us 50% blame. Third good thing is that I also have rental reimbursement for a rental car.

Last Friday I go in for my estimate. I don't have it in front of me but it was over $3,300! The estimator tells me the insurance company may decide to just total it since it is a 1997 car. Yeah, I bought it new in January of 1997 and 18-1/2 years later it didn't even have a small dent until this. I can't afford a new car and the only time I bought a used car it was a total money pit.

Still waiting for the insurance adjuster to call me back.

Old 07-22-15, 09:39 PM
Group Moderator
That is my real problem I need a car but with what they will probably give me I can't even get a junker unless I go deep into a credit card I was cerebrating being able to pay off by the end of the year.
I want to buy a strap with a plastic cam-over buckle for use as a battery hold-down
Oh heck, you have seen the battery hold down in my van.

Old 07-22-15, 09:55 PM
I hear you, Ray. I hate living in debt, especially now that I live on a modest pension and Social Security. My 401(k) has fluctuated but is basically worth no more today than it was back in March. And I also need a car as the bus service is spotty at best and the nearest bus stop is at least four blocks away and with my physical condition it might as well be forty miles. Still owe a bit over $12 grand on the house after bailing out my sister and her kid. At least each of them is doing okay, as far as I know.

I don't drive much these days, maybe 4,000 miles a year so my old Camry would likely last several more years. I just hate driving it around with the rear end all broken as it makes me look like someone that is a lousy driver and doesn't care. Hmm, that may be a GOOD thing as it will keep other drivers away from me.

Oh, once I opened those hold down straps I discovered they have a metal buckle and it is so tight I can't even open it. Back to the store with them.

Old 07-22-15, 10:28 PM
Group Moderator
Mine is brass coated steel and has held up well (20+years). It is the non-racheting type. Just a cam you set when you pull it tight. Once I found the ratcheting type it was relegated to extra status. Now that I seldom need to strap stuff to the roof I found a new use for it.

Old 07-22-15, 10:28 PM
Ray I hope you have luck with your insurance company. A few years ago my moms car was totaled backing out of the driveway it hit a telephone pole. One of those freak accidents in which you forget to apply the brake because it is early in the morning. Luckily no one was hurt including my mom but the old Chevrolet Cavalier was totaled it was a 1992 car with very little mileage on it and they gave her only about $3,300.00 for the car. I helped her out by almost maxing out my credit card but it was important that she have another car at the time.

She no longer drives arthritis has set in bad and a few other problems but she still keeps the car in case she might have to go somewhere and no one can drive her. What she has now is a 2005 Impala that has much better air conditioning than the old Cavalier which would have its engine shut down on hot days so it was about time that the car was replaced anyway. Any accident though is never good and can leave you at the very least in debt for a while.

Old 07-22-15, 10:34 PM
Group Moderator
Not my company but his. He ran a stop sign, cop agreed. My insurance is liability only but I talked to them and they will call me if he tries to file against me.

Old 07-23-15, 08:28 AM
FLIP FLOPS ?!?!?

Old 07-23-15, 09:28 AM
Group Moderator
Name:  flip-flops-plastic-foam.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  38.3 KB .

Old 07-23-15, 09:46 AM
My oldest son wears those goofy things all summer. I don't know....not me.

Old 07-23-15, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
I hate days like that! Seems when one thing goes wrong, everything goes wrong.

I remember once, a few years back, someone went thru a stop sign and hit my son's car. The insurance company of the person that went thru the stop sign, just wanted to pay him 75% of the claim because they said my son should have seen the other driver coming and avoided the accident!
How's that for idiocy? They did end up giving him the full amount and only after an arbitration by an independent company. Ridiculous! I mean it's good to have eyes on all sides of your head, lol, but you expect people to follow traffic laws.

Old 07-23-15, 12:15 PM
Group Moderator
I was on a four lane divided roadway with a ten foot esplanade plus the width of the left turn lanes between north and south bound lanes. It is common for people to go halfway across if it clear then wait in the esplanade cut through for traffic the other direction to clear. So even if you see them coming you expect them to stop. He didn't.

Old 08-18-15, 09:40 PM
Group Moderator
Epilog:

So the other drivers insurance pays up quickly and more then I expected. I am feeling good.

I found an 05 Freestar at the high end of what I could afford but it looked really good. Got them to lower the price a bit. Brakes were a bit mushy but I rely liked it. It seemed to run good on the test drive. Leave happy figuring I could mange to squeeze out a few more dollars for a brake job.

It's Friday evening by the time all the paper work was done. (Geeze they have a lot of paperwork now days.) So Monday I'm driving it to my mechanic to see if the brakes need work (but fingers crossed just needs bleeding). Feeling good go to accelerate from a stop on the way there and hear a rattling at the front. Still feeling okay.

Ask my mechanic to check the rattle in addition to the brakes. Turns out the back pads are very thin. Okay more then I expected just going to have to go deeper into the credit card than I really wanted. Then he finds one of the CV joints is so worn its about to come apart. He figures that is the rattling. Getting dangerously close now to what I can afford. but I tell him to fix it. I'm still somewhat optimistic.

Call him this afternoon to see if the van is ready. Good new bad news. He has the brakes fixed and CV joint replaced... but it still rattles. The rattle is in the transmission. And the hits just keep rolling in.

Old 08-18-15, 10:13 PM
Group Moderator
And the hits just keep rolling in.
Awww man.... you just can't win.

Old 08-19-15, 01:00 AM
Ray, that's what scares me about used cars. The only time I bought a used car it was a complete money pit. Now I am in a situation where all I can afford is a used car.

I go in Wednesday afternoon for the body shop to try to give me a better estimate. When I called last Friday the guy told me that the cost could easily go another $500 over the $3400 estimate and maybe even $1,000 over the original estimate. No wonder the insurance company decided to just total it.

Since my car is still drivable I haven't looked too hard for a replacement but I have done some looking on Craig's List as it is easy and can be done from the computer. I've seen a few that would fit into my budget ($8,000 tops) but haven't inquired about any. Some have been advertised for a few weeks and others disappear in a few days. I am now considering a 2004 Mitsubishi Outlander with just under 150k on the odometer. IF it is in decent shape (pictures look good) that should last me for a good many years and having the cargo area would make it easier to haul around some of the junk that I often do. Even if I have to put another grand or two in it it would still be better than putting $4500 into my Camry.

Old 08-19-15, 02:00 AM
Many years ago a few months before my dad passed away he buys a used Taurus that looks great and has plenty of room as it is a station wagon. Trouble is it has a bad transmission that doesn't show up immediately but not too long after it is driven for a while the transmission just gives up completely. Luckily it finally gave up at home after being parked in front of our house so it didn't have to be towed home but did have to be towed to the service station.

The station was once my fathers and the new owner put in a rebuilt transmission but never reconnected the air conditioning right. Finally we sold the car as my father had just passed and we no longer wanted the car but we took a big loss on it when we sold the car. We knew the new owner of the car who apparently never wanted to fix the air conditioner and later traded the car in for an suv. She traveled into West Virginia occasionally and those mountains really need an suv to travel the mountainous roads.

Old 08-19-15, 07:35 AM
Group Moderator
I am now considering a 2004 Mitsubishi Outlander with just under 150k on the odometer.
Furd, my little clunker is 150, 000 also and only two owners so think carefully.

Old 08-19-15, 07:20 PM
Very true, Ray. The only time I bought a used vehicle it was a Volkswagen Rabbit Diesel. That was at the insistence of my wife who wanted a car that would get 50 miles to the gallon. Since new Rabbits were going for about $7-8 grand (as I recall) AND were sold before they hit the dealer's lots, it made this two-year old car with about 48,000 miles look fairly good for $5,000. (This is about 1982 or '03) I'd like to say that POS nickeled and dimed me to death but it was more like it Jacksoned and Franklined me to near death. I must have put at least another two grand into it over the next couple of years and when I got the call from the police that my wife had been in an accident (they told me she was okay but had been taken to the hospital) my second thought after relief that she was okay was that the car was totaled. Thankfully, it was.

More to the story but it's ancient history so I'll leave it at that.

Oh, I did learn a few things today. I took my car back to the body shop to see if I could get a more in-depth estimate on repair costs. The guy told me that they are mandated by the insurance companies to give a lowest cost estimate that is based on no unseen damage. As a result the cost to actually repair is almost always significantly more. Further, they are prohibited by their insurance (and I suspect their affiliation with a nation-wide network) from making only partial repairs or not offering guarantees on their work.

He admitted it was a darn shame because otherwise the car was in good condition and with "only" 167k on the vehicle it probably had another 100k of life left in the drive train, easily enough to last the rest of my life. He suggested that I might be able to find some small independent shop that could just do the least amount of work required but also said he personally didn't know any such shops. He also gave me some information concerning the title and registration being revoked. Although I already knew some of this in Washington when an insurance company "totals" a vehicle they notify the Department of Licensing which then revokes the title and registration. That means that I can't sell the car or even drive it upon the public roads. They make no distinction of WHY the vehicle was totaled. In my case the car is perfectly drivable, all the lights and signals work, no glass is broken, no problems with the brakes, it is just cosmetic damage but since the cost of repairs would likely exceed the market value prior to the damage the insurance company totals it. Now what I CAN do is have the title re-issued as a "salvaged" vehicle but that requires that the State Patrol "inspect" it prior to the reissue. Here is the catch, there is a waiting list for the inspections of about six weeks and the total cost runs about $100 according the shop estimator.

Now in the large view I think this is probably a good thing in that it makes it pretty difficult for someone to patch up a car that has been severely damaged and then sell it to some unsuspecting person as being a car that has never been damaged. But in MY case it just makes life much harder. My daddy always told me that life wasn't easy but he never told me just how hard it could be.

Old 08-19-15, 09:00 PM
Group Moderator
It's the insurance company that gets you. At least once before I was in a wreck that an insurance company would have probably totaled but the drive offered cash if we skipped police and insurance. The front end was pushed in pressing against the tires. I got it home, hooked the frame to a large tree with a logging chain, put it in reverse and gave it the gas. Took a couple of tries leaving more slack and accelerating faster but it worked. Red neck frame straightener.

Old 08-20-15, 12:41 AM
Of course it is the insurance companies but how do you avoid them? I insure my car and house with the same company, have done so for at least thirty years. I also have an umbrella policy through them and that requires more than the state-mandated minimums on automobile coverage. On just the car I have probably spent in excess of $12 grand in premiums over the years without a single claim. On my present house the only claim was to get rid of a tree that fell on the roof during a windstorm along with a fence panel that the tree knocked over. Been carrying the one million dollar umbrella policy for at least fifteen years without a claim. And don't suggest another company either as I have checked and no one else is willing to give me the same coverage without a substantial increase in premiums.

But, the contract (policy) says they are ONLY liable to the market value of the vehicle prior to the loss. Lucky for me that Toyotas retain their market value or I would have been even further behind the 8 ball.

As for the other driver paying for my damage, he was a guy in his early twenties and driving a company truck. The damage to that was really minor although the cost of repairs would probably have been in the $500 to $1,000 range. I KNOW the kid couldn't pay it and the owner might have gone as high as $500 to avoid an insurance claim but I seriously doubt he would have gone for four grand.

As they say, life's a b%&*#$% and then you die.