AT&T merges DirecTV

Old 07-25-15, 07:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
AT&T merges DirecTV

I got an email today indicating the merger of the two services. I am really good at reading between typed lines in letters. So just for information, I smell price increases and service nosedives in the near future. Their FAQ states pricing will not increase, BUT in the near future special packages will be offered. Again, between the lines, this says you will lose your present packages and will be forced to take on more expensive and less compatible services for each company.

Proud to be able to offer this translation to you. Get ready folks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-15, 08:26 AM
Group Moderator
"Package" = "Bundle" = yep, you're hosed.

Had a COMCAST guy ring my doorbell couple of weeks ago (after walking through screen door with "No Soliciting" sign on it ) trying to sell me on dumping my DISH and Verizon phone/DSL service in favor of a COMCAST bundle for phone, internet, and cable. One of his selling point was that Verizon was selling out in Florida to Frontier Communications (which is true). Big whoop. The other point was supposed large savings, yeah right. I used to have AllTel cell service and they were bought out by Verizon Wireless several years ago; didn't see much change.

Old 07-25-15, 08:41 AM
What bugs me on any these bundled services is that you have to "bundle" them. I want a cafeteria style menu that I can pick and choose my phone service, and channel selection. On my Time-Warner I have over a thousand channels. But actually only about 500 actual differences. Many are repeats. I don't need foreign language, shopping or religious channels. Or most music channels. So I figure I need about 20 channels. I don't need world wide phone service at supposed reduced cost. And I don't need texting and all the other crap that fills the Internet. Oh but I repeat myself from older post on this same subject.

Old 07-25-15, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator
I have no cable TV bill. Antenna on the roof... All the local NY station crystal clear and in better high def then what cable was giving me.. I pay $0... But they hose me for internet... $59

I just like posting my speed though... he he...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]53769[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 07-25-15, 10:52 AM
I could stand better than 12 mb down and .6 up for $80. Count your blessings.

Old 07-25-15, 11:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I used to have DIRECTV and the way they used to do was you could keep your old outdated package [don't remember if the pricing changed] but if you made any changes [added/subtracted channels] you had to go to one of the new packages .... and if you changed your mind you couldn't go back

What gets me is I had satellite for more than a dozen years with very few outages. Now that I have cable, I see all these advertisements stating that satellite goes out every time the weather gets bad My cable goes out [all or in part] more each month than DIRECTV did the entire time I had it.

Old 07-25-15, 01:21 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, they like to bring up the lost signal issue. Big whoop; signal goes out I turn it off or bring up something I have saved on DVR. I can't think of anything on TV that is so earth shattering that I'm going to lose any sleep over if the live feed goes out temporarily.

I'm with Norm on the a la carte choosing of services; problem with bundles is if you are dissatisfied with one element of a bundle, you can't toss it for something better.

Old 07-25-15, 02:36 PM
Group Moderator
I just wonder what happens to my Internet. A few years ago AT&T forced me to switch from dry loop DSL to Uverse. No, I don't have TV just internet but it worries me who will provide the internet and will the reliability go down the tubes.

Old 07-25-15, 04:51 PM
Ray, their FAQ's say if you have Uverse you can keep Uverse. If you have what DirecTV has you can keep it. If you like your doctor................I didn't say that

Old 07-25-15, 09:21 PM
A friend of mine who lives in Tennessee most of the time now had Dish network as he said it was cheaper than most. Got to the point though that his service would go out most of the time and they wanted to do an update charge for high definition service so he quit them. With Verizon they updated my internet but still keep bothering me and wanting to upgrade me again to tv too but we don't need that antenna is fine for us. The price seems to have gone down at least for now with the upgrade but I am waiting to see what happens after a while it probably will go up most likely.