Are all judges in Texas this stupid?

Old 08-08-15, 11:26 PM
Are all judges in Texas this stupid?

Talk about an idiot judge:

Judge orders Texas man to marry girlfriend and write down Bible verses - The Washington Post

I saw the tail end of a follow-up story where they interviewed a Constitutional lawyer who said that this judge's actions were totally NOT Constitutional.

Subjects to discuss:
1. What if the woman didn't want to get married, or at least not on the judge's timetable?

2. Why couldn't the defendant call his employer?

3. Should this judge be brought up on charges of exceeding his powers?

4. What about the separation of church and state issues?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-15, 03:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm sure a halfway decent lawyer could get that order rescinded in short order.

I used to have a neighbor that got his under aged girlfriend pregnant and the judge gave him a choice to either marry her or face charges .... but that was 35-40 yrs ago. Not sure why the defendant couldn't call his employer but if his girlfriend was there - couldn't she have made the call ??

Old 08-09-15, 05:47 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Those are the things that you have to expect, in Texas. 15 days in jail or a life sentence of marriage. It's a no brainer.

Old 08-09-15, 06:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What does assault on one person have to do with making this guy marry his girlfriend? I don't see the association there. Assault could carry time in jail, sure. Do the crime, do the time. I think this judge left it hanging so an appeal court would have a field day. But, in 30 days, it's too late.

Old 08-09-15, 06:36 AM
Temporarily Suspended
That guy can file an appeal in the meantime. He doesn't have to get married, in 30 days. Once the appeal is filed, he's off the hook. The girl wants to get married but not a jigsaw puzzle wedding. I'm sure that lawyers already contacted him as soon as they heard about it.

Old 08-09-15, 07:31 AM
Those are the things that you have to expect in Texas. 15 days in jail or a life sentence of marriage. It's a no brainer.
Good one!!

Old 08-10-15, 08:08 AM
Group Moderator
Religion is bigger in Texas than a lot of other states and separation of church and state sometimes does not occur.

Old 08-10-15, 09:01 AM
Makes about as much sense as putting the article in the "Acts Of Faith" section of the Washington Post.

Old 08-10-15, 12:33 PM
Guy, the article is in many different news media across the country. I just picked the Washington Post because it seemed to have the most complete story.

But the REAL issue is...judges are supposed to be experts in the application of laws and ANY judge that wasn't an idiot would know that the sentence handed down by this "judge" was unconstitutional in several respects. While I agree that the defendant needed to be sentenced for his crime of assault, the judge ordering him to choose between marriage OR jail time without even being allowed to inform his employer why he would be absent is simply ludicrous.

Old 08-18-15, 10:19 AM
Filing an appeal is not cheap.

Aren't there phones in Texas jails?

This guy is a moron and is going wind up bake in front of the judge at some point anyway.

Search this Thread