Tap Handle Size

Old 08-09-15, 07:28 AM
Tap Handle Size

I needed to tap two different size holes but was unable to locate my tap handles. I think I loaned them to a relative. But not a problem, I will just buy new as I had to go to the orange box anyway. Two options, " and down or " to ". I needed to tap a x 20 hole and a 3/8" hole so opted for the larger as it should cover both.

Unfortunately, it didn't work on either, this one.
DEWALT 1/4 in. x 1/2 in. Adjustable Tap Handle-DWA141TH - The Home Depot

It accomplished the wider range by having two different clamping jaws, inner jaws for small taps and the outer for larger taps. To my disappointment the " is the shaft size and it would not clamp down to the square flats of my 1/4 x 20 tap. Then, when I went to use the 3/8", it would not fit the lower jaws, too big, and the upper jaws will not clamp down enough to grab the flats. Apparently it falls right in between.

Even though I threw away the packaging, that box store is going to get a visit and I will have both taps in hand and ask if I'm expecting too much.

Where I didn't mind buying a replacement tap handle, I certainly want one that works and I thought that that mfg would be acceptable. Maybe it is me, I'll let you know. In the past the orange box has been excellent with handling problems like this so no negative reflection on HD.

Bud

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-15, 08:52 AM
Well solved the problem. Before driving into town I wanted to verify my problem. When I examined the threads the collar has to follow I found a large burr of never threaded spot. Anyway, the collar would not go past that spot, thus was not closing down as much as it should. A few touches with the Dremel and I was able to work the collar past and it did close down on both size bits. Sure wish I had found this yesterday, or actually wish they had built it right in the first place.

I guess I will keep it.

Bud

Old 08-09-15, 12:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I guess that is in the same category as " some assembly required".

Old 08-09-15, 01:09 PM
It just reflects the low quality we see in so much of what we buy these days. I will eventually get my old one back and the adjustment collar on it hand tightens very easily. This one is very hard to turn without the burr. I bet I can guess where it was made, will check on next visit.

I guess what upset me the most was they tightened just enough to make me think they were fine. But when I tried to use them, laying on my back under my truck, the handle fell off of the tap. It was downhill from there.

Bud