Puzzled By TTL

Old 08-12-15, 12:48 AM
Group Moderator
Puzzled By TTL

The insurance company offered to buy my totaled van and I am happy but puzzled by the final payment.
Value $xxx.xx Plus Tax: $xx.xx Plus Tag Fee: $xx.xx
It is the tax and tag fee that puzzles me. As per agreement I mailed them the title and power of attorney to execute any and all papers in connection with sale or transfer. So if they are handling title transfer does that mean the state is going to send me a bill? I know I should ask the insurance company but really wanted an outside opinion. Seems like they should have just kept the fees and paid them.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-15, 01:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not sure about Texas, but in Georgia the tag goes with the person, not the car, so if you sell a car, you remove the tag and put it on your new car. Could explain it.

Old 08-12-15, 09:12 AM
Group Moderator
I think it can go either way here but I'm use to tag going with the vehicle. It explains it though so I will go with that as an explanation. Thanks. I hadn't thought of that.

Old 08-12-15, 10:14 AM
Had a Honda get rear ended at 40 mph by someone in an Explorer. Needless to say the car was totaled. The guy who owned the van had Allstate, they gave me cash for the car and tax and title fees for another vehicle. Also got cash for my right ankle that got sprained during the accident. Plates go with the owner up here.

Old 08-12-15, 11:45 AM
Group Moderator
they gave me cash for the car and tax and title fees for another vehicle.
Yes, that makes sense but I initially rejected that because they couldn't know the TTL of the replacement vehicle but I can see it as just an excepted offer of compensation the way you explain it. Thanks. Here you can keep or not keep the plates. I didn't keep but notified the DMV of sale so the plates and vehicle no longer are registered to me.

Old 08-12-15, 03:47 PM
I transferred my plates, much easier that way,

Old 08-12-15, 07:53 PM
When my mothers car was totaled they paid for the tax, tag and title fee and there was no bill from the state. They also said that they would take care of turning in the tags which in a sale is usually taken care of by the seller which made it easier on her. The fees being paid are what GEICO calls a reimbursement and any other fees would go to the state but be listed as a totaled car with no value. Usually at least in her case with her old car they put it up for auction, I followed the auction for a while online and they didn't get much I can't recall now how much they received.