Has anyone else noticed the USPS running wicked slow these days?

Old 08-14-15, 07:56 AM
Has anyone else noticed the USPS running wicked slow these days?

Hello,

In the past, I have gotten letters sent to me from 15 miles to my place the day after it was sent, now it takes three days? Has anyone else noticed this? It isn't just letters from one place, it's actually two or three places within a mile of each other so I don't think it is a case of one clerk forgetting to put a letter out for the mailman. I'm very curious.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-15, 08:27 AM
Ya, I've more than noticed. I have been driving 3 miles to a pickup point for another town to avoid a 2 day delay from my local post office 1/2 mile from me. Some of the things they do in the name of efficiency are totally stupid. Too many to post here.

IMO, they are cutting their own throat as a roll of stamps now lasts me more than a year. I used to go through several every year. And, when possible, I always specify another carrier.

At my last business location I used to smile when the UPS driver pulled up. He would jump out of the truck, run to the door, run back to the truck and hurry away. Then the USPS driver would pull up and be slow to exit his truck, walk at the slowest walking speed possible from and to his truck, sit there for awhile and then slowly drive away. Being an employer, I would hire one and fire the other, oops, there is a Union in there somewhere I think.

Bud

Old 08-14-15, 08:33 AM
Group Moderator
A lot of the mail sorting locations have changed... less sorting locations mean the mail travels farther away and changes hands more often before it comes back. In our area, there is no longer a "local" mailbox, hasn't been for years. Doesn't matter if you are mailing a letter to someone across the street... all the mail gets picked up by mail subcontractors, it's driven to a pickup point, then its transferred onto a truck on a main route that takes it to the sorting facility- which for us is in Omaha.

The same process is done in reverse for incoming mail. So it's no wonder that it sometimes takes 4 or 5 days for a local letter to reach its destination.

Old 08-14-15, 08:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I cant be sure but I think it has something to do with routing. They have been claiming for several years about how much money they have been "loosing", therefore they have been doing some consolidating & rearranging with how the entire USPS system works. Because of that, they may not be doing specific jobs at all locations.... only at one location, so all mail from a general area now has to go to a central location for that specific job, like routing.

We used to have sorting at all locations, meaning each PO sorted its own mail. Now only one location in an area or region does sorting. I remember back in the 60's, our small town PO sorted & delivered mail the next day. We lived two houses down from my grandparents & on my birthday, they would send me a birthday card with $5 inside. The carrier would pick it up, go two houses down & deliver our mail but didn't drop off my birthday card. It has to go to our small town PO, post marked & sorted, then come back to our house the next day.
Now, I live in Monroe, La which is the hub of northeast La & all our mail has to go to Shreveport to be sorted, post marked, the return to Monroe the next day, then delivered the next day. So, if I mail a letter to my neighbor on Monday, he probably wont get it until Wed or maybe Thursday.

If I had to guess, I would say of all Louisiana, there is probably one sorting facility in Shreveport, Baton Rouge & New Orleans.... three for the whole state. Again, I am guessing, but its a lot different now than back in the day due to restructuring the entire USPS system.

Old 08-14-15, 08:42 AM
Group Moderator
I was talking about this with my Postmaster a few weeks ago. Mail is no longer sorted in our town. So, even if mailing a letter across the street it goes to another town's (Raleigh?) processing center to be sorted then sent back to my town. Previously the mail was sorted here in town and local stuff stayed here.

Old 08-14-15, 08:57 AM
I have difficulty remembering to pay my CC on time to avoid the late charge and interest, not old age as I was born this way. To get to wherever it goes and get processed I MUST mail it from the next town at least 10 day in advance. Even at that I sometimes see it was credited on the 10th day and a couple of times it has been late. Eventually I will get my act together and pay online, just have little trust in online bill paying.

Of course some of that problem could be at the CC co processing facility as, whoops those 10,000 payments in that big basket will have to wait for tomorrow (a day late) and with a $25 late fee they collect $250,000 extra for that whoops.

But that's another story.

Bud

Old 08-14-15, 09:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Our mail has also gotten slower several years ago they closed the local sorting stations and now ALL the mail has to go to Knoxville [100+ miles away] to be sorted. Since then we've gotten expired sales papers in the mail and my personal favorite - all the political mailings that get delivered the day AFTER the elections

Old 08-14-15, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator
Local mail may have slowed down (not that I've noticed) but nowhere else in the world can you mail a letter 2500mi for 50 cents and expect it to be there in 3 days usually.

FedEx and UPS have done for years what the USPS is adopting now. I remember a documentary tracing a FedEx next day delivery between two offices in San Fran. They flew it to Charlotte NC and back.

I think everyone knows that UPS and FedEx do the freight for most packages that USPS ships? Not the pickup or delivery, just the actual shipping. They may do it for regular mail as well, I dunno.

I still think the USPS is about the only efficiently functioning Gov agency (yes, I know they aren't really a Gov agency).

Old 08-14-15, 01:22 PM
I have seen a dramatic slow down and a bunch of inaccuracies that can be costly. The most costly was having all of our tax mail going to Annapolis which is fine for Maryland as that is where it should go for income tax. For federal tax though I forget I think it is supposed to go to Kansas so it meant a fine of $75.00 supposedly for not filing but even that statement was wrong as they did finally receive my check for the tax I owed this year so I know they received my 1040 late. So I paid the fine there wasn't much else I could do but I was hopping mad about it.

Then remember that notice I talked about a while back well the dumb fools never did get the notice to the people I wanted it sent to even though I knew they were home. Then they try to send it back to us actually before the cutoff date for another attempt to deliver and say I have something that needs to be picked up. It was the notice I wanted sent to the neighbor which could have been sent there in the first place. I have found out though that this is a training route now and I refuse to go to the post office to pick up a letter that isn't mine.:NO NO NO:

I really don't like the idea of electronic filing but this year that is coming up I think I may change my mind. I now pay for my credit card bill online as I don't want a late penalty on my bill and it gives me more time to pay my bill. A few years ago we had a drunk on our route who put our mail in his car to deliver late at night and it made my credit card payments late.

Old 08-14-15, 01:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Where we are local mail goes to infernal purgatory....Atlanta, unless I forget to drop it in the local box and take it to the next town, where it goes to Asheville, NC, just to go 8 miles down the road. So it is definitely "routing".

I'll have to say, however, our local post office people are the best. I had a package come in with a laser level that I desperately needed for a commercial job. The clerk called me on my cell phone and asked where I was working, and had Craig deliver it to me on the jobsite at the College.

Old 08-14-15, 01:49 PM
Gotta agree with Vic, considering the amount of mail handled every single day it is a wonder that far more mistakes are NOT made regarding the USPS.

Speaking of mistakes...the other day I had a card in the mail for someone I do not know. Looking closely I see it was for some person living in Fall City, about thirty miles distant from me. The address wasn't even close to mine and that includes the ZIP code. Also, the last two weeks I have not received my grocery store ads in the Tuesday mail (ads start at 6AM on Wednesday around here). Not that it matters much as I rarely go on the first days of a week-long advertisement.

Old 08-14-15, 01:59 PM
Richard, I have been filing my federal taxes electronically for more than ten years and the only times there has been an mistake is when I stupidly made it myself. I DID have a problem with the IRS a few years ago when I made some large withdrawals from my 401(k) and had to pay an additional tax. That probably was a result of using snail mail to send in the additional tax. It took several months to clear up but eventually it was decided in my favor.

As for "other" billings...I have never been one to wait until the last day to pay bills so I simply do not get late notices. Even with the electronic bill paying service from my credit union (free) I always allow a few days before the bill is actually due to allow for any snafus. Further, I have been using the bill-paying service for close to twenty years without ever having had a problem. At first I only used it for monthly recurring bills but now I even have my yearly insurance payments on it.

I do NOT trust any creditor with having direct withdrawal privileges from my CU account but I DO use the bill-paying service as it takes a conscious effort on my part to initiate payment. I can pay when I want and specify when the money is withdrawn from my account.

Old 08-14-15, 02:26 PM
I pay my bills using each vendor's secure site. I did not like using the bank's bill paying service. If I paid a bill today, it could be a week before the vendor saw the money, sometimes longer, although you kissed the money in your account good bye immediately. Making money on your money. If you didn't plan well, you messed up. Using the individual vendor's sites, I place the responsibility of collection on them. It is posted immediately as a payment, and a receipt is sent via email.

Old 08-14-15, 02:39 PM
Is that a commercial bank, savings and loan or a credit union? My CU does NOT withdraw the money until it makes payment and most payments are by EFT (electronic funds transfer) so there in no delay in making that payment. For some payees they send an actual check and do so a few days prior to the billing due date to ensure the payee gets the money on time.

I see no reason why anyone should use a commercial bank unless they are using it for business purposes andven then, many credit unions accept business accounts. I have not had a commercial bank OR savings and loan account for almost thirty years.

Old 08-14-15, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator
I see no reason why anyone should use a commercial bank
I actually have both a bank and a CU. My CU is also large and nationwide, but mostly clustered around military areas so I have to deal with them by mail, email or phone. I keep a low balance with them, just to keep the account active. Basically I have them just for the CC and if I ever need a loan.

The bank is mostly for convenience as they have branches everywhere. My account has no fees since I do DD, I get money back on my debit purchases, and a branch is pretty much available in any city. Also allows me to make any check or cash deposits easily. Works for me.

Old 08-14-15, 04:13 PM
I guess my main gripe about doing my taxes online is the extra fees for more than one person since I do my moms taxes too but I bet it is cheaper. I also worried that it wouldn't get received but I have heard good things about taxes being paid online. It sure beats a trek up to the post office which I usually walk to and is way up a hill. As for paying my bills by the bank we have had good service with them with online banking. I usually pay a week ahead of time although I almost forgot my credit card this last time and I was able to pay the day before which beats the post office.

Old 08-15-15, 06:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The USPS does a great job here. I can mail a letter across town (very far) and it can be received the next day. It so happens though that they have a huge facility locally and many post offices.

Electronic Bill Paying: Some of you might want to check into this. It saves work. I've been paying bills electronically for about 24 years or more. Never been one error or unauthorized withdrawal, or late payment.
Every bill I pay is automatically withdrawn from checking and I do nothing but make sure the funds are there. I have complete trust in the process.

Old 08-15-15, 06:16 AM
I have complete trust in the process.
Trust no one. I don't like big brother controlling anything, especially my money. I tell it where and when to go. In construction, my accounts fluctuate considerably knowing I purchase materials and pay labor at odd times, if I forget a deduction is to be made and I am at a low ebb, BAM, gotcha for $36.

Old 08-15-15, 06:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I had a feeling someone would say that. Ha Ha.
I just do the normal household bills. If you get into paying subs and keeping track of major projects I can see you would want to be hands on.

Old 08-15-15, 09:29 AM
I have made credit card payments over the phone, was trying to get medical releases to help with my unemployment claim and to change providers of medical services due to changes in insurance.

Old 08-15-15, 12:19 PM
Larry, I would NEVER give a creditor/payee access to my account. The bill paying service I use is entirely under my control. I designate the payee, the amount, the date paid and I do it all on my own each and every billing period. No one but me has control over the funds in my account.

That stated, I hope that you do not co-mingle your business and personal accounts as that would cause innumerable headaches. Even if your business is a sole proprietorship the business account(s) should be totally separate from any personal accounts.

Something else, many people do not know that when you have an automatic deposit set up you are also giving that entity that makes the deposits the power to make withdrawals from your account. For that single reason choose VERY carefully what entities you want to be able to make direct deposits. I don't know if automatic payments of a set amount also falls under these rules. NEVER have automatic withdrawals that allow variable withdrawals based upon the payee's request.

Lastly, if you are really paranoid you can use direct deposit into a single account and then transfer that money into a totally separate account a few days after the deposit. I knew an accountant that had his Social Security payments deposited into a special account and he manually would transfer it to a different account a few days later, leaving only enough money in the direct deposit account to keep it open. That action totally prevented SS from being able to withdraw any more than the minimum balance in case of some error.

Old 08-17-15, 07:49 AM
I just use my debit card to do it so the payments would clear immediately. I use a local bank, no idea why they need 4 days to do a transaction, don't think they use carrier pigeons anymore, but I'm not positive.

Old 08-17-15, 10:05 AM
Nope, I don't co mingle accounts. Frankly my business account has less AP except for hired help. I usually do write checks for that stuff. One local supply house hasn't graduated to the 21st century yet and doesn't take electronic payment. I take the check to the store. Others are the Secretary of State and taxes, so very little. Personal stuff is where I do the online payment through their sites.