Ok, 2 annoyances and inaccuracy's

Old 08-15-15, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator
Ok, 2 annoyances and inaccuracy's

Why did no one tell me how cool a multi-tool thing was. You know like a Fein?

Awright...everyone has...I admit it. Look how long it took me to get an impact driver, which I now use more than my drill.

I bought a Ryobi cordless that has multiple powerhead options...though all I have now is the oscillating saw thing. So cool! I'm think of the right angle drill tool head next.

Anyway, the other thing...don't you hate seeing a commercial where it's obvious they had no one on site to fact check. The one that tripped my trigger is a new one from Del Taco (West coast Mexican chain) where a guy is supposedly sharpening a chefs knife. As he strokes it straight down the steel at a 90 degree angle. Arrrrgggghhh. It made me cringe. There's another I can't think of right now...but am I the only one this anal?

Wait...I know the other one! It's for a cell phone company. They drop paper in the leaf chute of a shreader and it blows out the branch chipper feed!

Just irritates me that they can't even get the little things right.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 08-15-15 at 09:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-15, 01:10 AM
Group Moderator
Windows commercials is what get me. Most of the things it does are due to software not Windows which is of course an OS. The software could actually work as well in other OSes if written for them and some times is and does so it isn't the Windows OS that is special. Then to they talk about Windows as if it is another word for PC but of course it isn't. PC is hardware and despite the commercials a Mac is a PC.

They talk about how safe it is but it is software that keeps it safe. Windows is the reason the software is need. Lets not forget that Windows OS is the only OS with a registry that is where most malware hides out.

As to magic tools Sawzall was my discovery. I didn't know how I'd got along without one it did so many things easier.

Old 08-15-15, 03:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I bought a cheap harbor freight multi tool several years ago mostly for one specific job and was really surprised at how well I liked it. Mine is corded but IMO that is best for tools that aren't used regularly. I'm sure the name brands are better but for a retired painter mine works really well for me.

Old 08-15-15, 05:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I KNOW Brant and I have told you the virtues of the multimaster . I use the Fein Q250, almost on a daily basis. It is one of those tools like the reciprocating saw used to be......don't leave home without it. The precision is remarkable. Blades on retail you will need to put up collateral. I buy mine on the auction site 50 or 100 at a time and they wind up being $1 apiece, rather than $17 at the box stores.

Old 08-15-15, 02:36 PM
Vic, you need to go back on you meds.

I find most of those "inaccuracies" amusing.

Old 08-15-15, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator
Larry, that's one thing I checked on. This Ryobi includes 1 (2?) adapters that allow it to use every blade out there. I really won't be using it that much, so I expect them to last quite a while. I went with this because of a specific job I had to do and I already have all Ryobi cordless tools. No cheap places for tools around here. I kinda like the interchangeable head feature as well.

Old 08-15-15, 05:33 PM
Group Moderator
Multi tools don't get used very much, but when they do they excel at the task. I also have the multi speed multi too from HF. The only time it fails me is when it is very cold. I think it is the soft start.

Old 08-15-15, 06:57 PM
I bought the Craftsman, reconditioned unit on-line. Use it constantly.

Old 08-15-15, 07:06 PM
If you educate yourself before your knee and shoulder replacement surgeries and watch the gory videos, you'll see that is the tool of choice to cut bone accurately. They have jigs they nail in place and make their cuts. Amazing.

Old 08-15-15, 07:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I use the multimaster or other oscillating tool quite a bit also. One of the best tools ever.
I first purchased one to cut ABS Tees out, but soon discovered it saved a ton of time trimming shims, cutting copper, drywall, and cutting nails to remove old electrical boxes.

If mine broke down once a month, I would buy a new one. It saves that much time. The original F blades are expensive, but will cut wood, metal and plastic.

Old 08-15-15, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator
that is the tool of choice to cut bone accurately.
I wouldn't doubt that's true. I remember when the cut the cast off my arm years back, the tool worked the same way. It basically vibrated it's way though the plaster but didn't cut the skin. Of course back then it was the size of a Sawzall.

Old 08-16-15, 03:32 AM
Yep, remember the doctor demonstrating it on me as a scared pre-teen. "Now, this won't cut you" as he placed it against his hand. And it won't since the skin moves as fast as the blade vibrates. UNLESS you are old and have tough, calloused hands like me. Then it will cut you.

Old 08-16-15, 05:41 AM
Along the same lines, my veterinary daughter bought a Dremel tool and started using it in surgeries. All the other doctors were asking to borrow it. Most of them bought their own once they tried it.