Alternative stores to Home Depot in San Diego County?

Old 08-16-15, 12:39 PM
Alternative stores to Home Depot in San Diego County?

Hi everyone,

@Mod - Please move this thread if this is not the right section of the forum for this topic.

I typically buy wood, brackets, bricks, pvc pipes and connectors at Home Depot for the various house projects I got going on. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a better store that offers these products for a better price around San Diego. I don't really shop at Lowes either, the closest one to me in like 30 minutes away, probably not worth the drive unless it's significantly cheaper there, which I doubt. I tried googling but I'm not having much luck... I am not a professional so I wont qualify for any business account.

Thanks, all suggestions welcome.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-15, 12:44 PM
Temporarily Suspended
The next step above those stores would be building supply houses. Google building supply San Diego.

Old 08-16-15, 01:02 PM
Group Moderator
I moved your thread to the general discussion forums.

Our two big stores are Lowes and the Depot. I don't think you are going to find a lumber yard type place to have better prices. We do have many lumber yards near me but I know their prices, as a rule, are higher on most wood products. However, the wood quality at the lumber yards can be better.

Since I'm an electrician I have wholesale accounts at electrical supply houses. Many times the prices in the box stores are the same or lower than the supply house.

Old 08-16-15, 02:43 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Of course, the big box stores will have lower prices than the supply houses but they also have lower quality. I was talking to another contractor, in Home Depot. He said that he had recommended pressure treated wood, instead of cedar, as a savings. As we were looking at some 2x4s, he remarked that it might have been mistake since the Home Depot wood was, in such bad shape. If I go to a building supply, I don't have to go through 40 or 50 pieces to find 10 decent studs. Also, I'll probably spend less time shopping. Is a $20 savings worth all the extra time, in Home Depot?

Old 08-16-15, 03:09 PM
For a DIY it's just not going to worth the time to go to a bunch of different place trying to say a few penny's.
When I buy pressure treated I hand pick every piece.
I have a Lowes, HD and three lumber yards within 20 miles and see little difference in the quality.
Even when you hand pick some are still going to mess up when they dry out.

Old 08-16-15, 03:29 PM
shop where you are now,,, less time + less fuel = more aggravation but you can't have it all

pro mtls + tools + methods + knowledge + skills = pro results