Cardsleeve

Old 08-18-15, 02:17 AM
Cardsleeve

As most of the "regulars" know I am a night person. As a result I have a tendency to watch late-night/early morning television and I keep seeing the advertising for "CardL*** as a means to preventing identity theft. This sleeve is supposed to make it impossible for a hacker to "read" your credit cards when just walking past you on the street. They show the narrator passing his credit card over a reader connected to a laptop which then says something like "read successful" and then displays a number. He goes on to tell you that thieves can obtain your credit account numbers, Social Security number, address and other identifying information this way but by using the cardsleeve you can prevent this because the sleeve blocks the RF signal from the card reader.

Now I may be completely wrong but I don't think any credit card company uses RFID technology in their cards. Every single card I have seen uses a magnetic stripe and the newer, safer cards just now being introduced use a combination of magnetic stripe and an electronic chip (NOT RFID) for security. Further, I seriously doubt that the magnetic stripe information on any credit card includes a person's SS number or their home address. So from this standpoint the hawker's of the CardSleeve are absolutely lying through their teeth.

Now there ARE devices that are often surreptitiously installed on POS (Point of Sale) and ATM terminals that do read the magnetic stripe information when a person innocently uses their card for a legitimate transaction and these can and do lead to identity theft and money being stolen. In these cases the cardsleeve is absolutely useless.

Here is my question. Since the technology that the cardsleeve offers protection against is not used for credit or debit cards (again, I admit to possibly being in error on this point, but I doubt it) and that at least some of the information that is purported to be read from an unprotected card is simply not on the card, are the makers of the cardsleeve liable for false advertising?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-15, 02:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have seen those ads. The cards they are reading aren't the ones with magnetic stripes, I don't believe, but the ones with chips. I have a friend who has one of those fancy schmancy American Express cards and all he has to do is wave it over the credit card machine and the purchase is complete. I think it takes a complete swipe through a reader for the magnetic ones to be read. Now, you are more versed than I on this, since you have studied it more.

One would think the sleeve manufacturer would have some liability should your card be "read" surreptitiously by a thief while under their "protection".

Old 08-18-15, 03:23 AM
Temporarily Suspended
So far, it's only seen the Chase Freedom card with the chip. A friend of mine asked them about it & was told that it has to be within an inch or so before the chip can be read. Chase sent him a replacement card.

A laptop was used in the ad that you saw. That tells me that a reader probably won't fit in someone's pocket otherwise it would have been used in the commercial. While war driving (driving around with a laptop looking for unsecured wifi) used to be popular, I would imagine that carrying a credit card reader is not likely & doubt that credit card readers are battery powered while a laptop is.

They also referred to the people who might try to steal your card info as hackers. Not all hackers are "carders" The process that was described in the the commercial is really called "carding." There is a lot of info, on the web. Search Google for "carding tutorials" - "carding web sites" - "carding how to".

Old 08-18-15, 04:01 AM
I do know a little about RFID technology. A local grocery chain for a while used RFID cards as "loyalty" cards and as Pulpo mentions, you had to have the card within an inch or so of the reader to activate it. We also had RFID chips in our company ID badgers when I was still gainfully employed to operate some of the gates as well as gain access to tool rooms and stores areas and there again you needed to almost have the badge touch the reader to activate.

A laptop was used in the ad that you saw. That tells me that a reader probably won't fit in someone's pocket otherwise it would have been used in the commercial.
It looked to me as if the reader was similar to any USB reader and plugged into the laptop. The "hacker" in the commercial was wearing a backpack so I inferred that he had some type of computing device (likely with a SS hard drive) in the pack and then the card reader connected and operating with no user action. Nonetheless, to think that a reader would work through the backpack, the air and the woman's purse plus wallet is a pretty far stretch to me.

Old 08-18-15, 04:49 AM
Temporarily Suspended
There are portable USB chargers that could power the reader, inside a backpack. That would solve the power problem. As you said, the distance is a stretch. The card sleeve probably does what it claims. However, there isn't a need for it......yet.

Old 08-18-15, 04:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have a solar re-charger that I carry in my Ipad pack, just for emergencies, or when I am camping, etc. About the size of a pack of cigarettes. Almost forgot, we use RFID cards to access the gun range. Magnetic lock on the gate.