Strange experience at the gas pump.

Old 08-18-15, 05:51 AM
Strange experience at the gas pump.

Last week I had a tree limb fall on me and messed my back up enough that I could bearly walk but had to go get some gas so I drove a few extra miles to a gas station that has someone come out and pump it for you.
A cute young lady comes out to ask what I needed, I told her to fill up the truck and the two gas cans in the trailer.
First she could not figure out which way to turn the gas cap on the truck, Hmm.
She then says there's no gas cans in the trailer, do you want me to fill up those clear things?
There is no "clear" things in the trailer and I know the red gas cans are sitting in plain sight.
So now I have to get out of the truck which defeats the whole reason I went there to see what's she's talking about.
She was looking at my two opaque pump sprayers.
The two gas cans as I thought are sitting right next to them in plain sight.
Then she could not figure out how to get the spouts off the can.
By now I'm looking around to see if I'm on Candid Camera and I'm being punked.
I asked her for a receipt, she not only had no idea how to write one she had no idea what one was.
I hope she get's by in the future on her looks because's she's not going to get to far with her lack of common since.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-15, 06:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It is strange how some folks make it thru life without a bit of commonsense

Old 08-18-15, 06:33 AM
Group Moderator
The last full service station closed in my town last year. The guy running it was 70+ and finally retired. Now I don't know where you could go to have someone pump for you.

It's an odd experience elsewhere. In Costa Rica you can not pump your own gas. I think it's a labor thing to create more jobs. But boy do they do their job. When you pull in for gas you get the air in your tires check, oil checked, windshield washer filled, windshield washed and quite often they run inside to ring you up and run back to your car with your receipt.

Old 08-18-15, 06:44 AM
Group Moderator
New Jersey, Oregon Mull Changes To Self-serve Gas Pump Bans - Fortune

And on the other side of the spectrum there is an old station near me probably built before self serve stations that sells gas even when it is closed. I suppose this isn't uncommon but it was the first one I saw. No, it isn't they forget to cut off the pumps. They have signs indicating it.

Old 08-18-15, 06:55 AM
It all goes back to the root cause. The whole thing could have been avoided if only you had tied your hammock to a stronger limb to start with.

Old 08-18-15, 07:19 AM
By the time I was 16 I had worked at a gas station, worked with my Uncle that owned a bus company, and helped out my Uncle that did home repairs.
Built a plywood Jon boat.
I had driven car's, school bus, dump trucks, tractors, a back hoe, snowmobile motorcycle. All before I even had a licence.
We had little money and lived 7 miles from town so if something broke we had to figure out how to fix it.
My grand dad used to say if some dam fool built it we should be able to figure out how to fix it. (:
Kids today do not even know how to drive a car with a clutch.

Old 08-18-15, 08:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
This thread reminded me of the last time I went to a full service station. It was several yrs ago in a small coal town in southwest virginia. The main reason I stopped was the low advertised price, I didn't see the full service sign. I was getting ready to get out when my wife asked me why this guy was at her window so I told her to roll it down and find out why - he wanted to know how much gas we wanted and what grade. About blew me away, full service and about 10 cheaper per gallon

Old 08-18-15, 10:26 PM
Group Moderator
Here in NJ we cannot legally pump gasoline but we can diesel.

I try to always pump my own diesel in order to keep the fuel in the tank and not all over the side of the van. I swear.... no one likes pumping diesel so they pull the nozzle out and it goes flying everywhere.

Not to hijack this thread but I'm completely mystified that people cannot figure out change. You know when you go to buy something and it's like 14.25. You hand them a $20 and say I have change. So they enter $20, you give them the quarter and the confusion starts because the register says 5.75 change due.

Old 08-19-15, 03:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
self serve stations that sells gas even when it is closed.
We have one like that, Ray. Each pump not only has the credit card feature, but a cash slot, too. Prepay the amount you "think" you will need. You can't get an accurate fill up, however unless they are open to give you change should you overpay, so you have to be conservative. You can always come back the next day when they are open and show them the receipt and get the change, but who wants to make two trips??

Old 08-19-15, 04:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The first self serve pay at the pump station I ever saw was in texas [?] in the late 60's. It was cash only. You inserted however many $1s or a $5 into the slot and it then dispensed that amount of gas.

Old 08-19-15, 04:55 AM
Group Moderator
Here there are almost NO self serve stations.

Pre-pay stations really me off!

I go in, "How much do you want?"
I say, "I want a full tank of gas."
They say, "How much is that?"
I say. "About 30 gallons."

I now get the blank stare because they don't know how to ring up 30 gallons of gas on the register, and I can't tell them how much it is because the dang price changes daily. So, I guess low and shall never have a full tank of gas again. Well, until I go to a station that has a card reader on the pump, which is most of them.

Old 08-19-15, 05:34 AM
To stay on topic, here in New York we pump our own and I like it that way. I control if I give it that extra shot at the end or not. Options are available for handi-cap customers.

To expand on PJ's comment. Young people are not taught the basics and are brought up with immediate gratification in all aspects. A failing grade is not an option in today's school. Pass them regardless if they make the grade or not. Not all young people but the vast majority. At our store we have some very smart young people but we've had our ringers also.

Old 08-21-15, 04:54 AM
Admin Emeritus

Out this way in Ca. you can self serve pump either fuel type. Paying cash enter store and say in dollars how much you want. Not in gallons. Pumps computers figure in dollars not gallons. Can't say fill up unless you hand over more $ then you'll likely need. Have to return to store to get change.

IMO the first sign of Americans decline was self service at the pumps!!!!!!!!!! Then came ATM's. Down hill since then everywhere. Customer Service???? What is that???

Customer service is long gone almost everywhere. It's now HISTORY!......

Old 08-21-15, 05:20 AM
Group Moderator
Don't get me started on "customer service". I'm still waiting for my newspaper's circulation department to fix my delivery time back to <6:00 am like it has been for over 15 years rather than the >6:30 that it now is (new carrier since March). My last visit they said they were reworking the deliveries in my area and would I be patient while they fixed it. That was early July; paper this morning arrived 6:30 with me standing in driveway. Day after labor day they're getting another face-to-face and it won't be pleasant.

On the PLUS side, I had an issue with my all-in-one (Brother) and was shocked at how helpful their tech people were.

Old 08-21-15, 05:30 AM
Temporarily Suspended
In Costa Rica you can not pump your own gas.
It's the same in New Jersey.

Old 08-21-15, 05:52 AM
Admin Emeritus

Brother printer has good customer service? Excellent! I'll keep that in mind next printer purchase time....

News paper delivery time off by only half hour? Not to bad. Piss'em off and you'll end up last on the route.....LMAO! Kind of like an on time airline ticket reservation. Only promise is get you to your destination that day!!! Not on time....That day only!!!... Weather permitting!! Read the FINE print.

That old saying: You want it when???!!!...HA HA HA. Good luck!!!

Gasoline pricing? PAIN at the PUMPS!!!

Old 08-21-15, 06:16 AM
Here in Vermont, almost every gas station is "self-service"; but not all. And I've gotten used to it.

I was in line at one of those few gas stations with an attendant a few years ago when the car in front of me got a fill'up.

I watched as the Attendant read the pump to the Driver and took her payment (Cash or Credit Card) into the garage for processing, and then returned to give her the receipt and change, and then waived her on . . . . but he never removed the hose from her gas cap/fill tube.

That car drove forward about 20 feet, and then that hose had stretched as far as it could and the pump handle and parts of that car came flying back towards me like material shot from a slingshot . . . . it wasn't one of those "break-away" pump handles, so a chunk of the fender was excised.

I got out and checked my car to see if any of those projectiles had hit me, and the waited for a moment; but soon realized this wasn't going to be a quick fix, and found myself another gas station.

I see now that that gas station has had its underground tanks removed, and no longer sells gas; and I've gotten into the habit of looking out my side-view mirror before driving off, just to check and make sure the spout isn't still inserted into my car . . . . even if I pumped the gas myself !

Old 08-21-15, 07:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
my newspaper's circulation department to fix my delivery time
When I first moved to tenn I subscribed to the local newspaper. It was never delivered until 7:30AM or later When I complained they said that was the way it was and couldn't do anything about it. So I requested they cancel and refund my money. While they agreed, I never received a refund and they kept delivering papers that I couldn't read until I got home in the evening When the prepayment finally ran out they sent me a bill stating they wouldn't deliver any more papers until I paid

Old 08-21-15, 09:45 AM
Group Moderator
I have friends in neighboring area, less than 10 miles as the crow flies, whose papers arrive between 3-5:00 am. Even the main office, when I complained, used 6 am as the latest I should expect it. We'll see how this plays out.

Old 08-21-15, 12:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Kind of like an on time airline ticket reservation
Customer service at an airline goes like this: Customer requests ticket to Spokane and wants first bag to go to San Francisco and the second bag to go to Newark. Ticket agent protests that they can't do that. Customer: The heck you can't, you did it last week!! I've had baggage scattered before. Not a cool thing to happen.

Search this Thread