Do you remember?

Old 08-19-15, 10:29 AM
Do you remember?

I'm sure you old timers know what this is. But do you remember the last time you used one?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-15, 10:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I doubt I've put my foot in one since I was child, do any of the shoe dedicated stores still use them?

Old 08-19-15, 10:32 AM
Group Moderator
Brannock device.

Had one at the store I went to last year to buy new softball cleats. No one to help me, it was self service so I'm glad I knew how to operate it.

Old 08-19-15, 10:34 AM
Group Moderator
I wish shoes were still available in different widths. It's quite a rarity these days.

Old 08-19-15, 10:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I know what you mean PD! I just bought a new pair of cowboy boots and picked out the same brand/size as what I was wearing but they were too big when I tried them on ..... until I realized that they were an E width while my old pair was D. Fortunately they had the one I needed.

Old 08-19-15, 10:40 AM
Group Moderator
I can usually find regular and wide widths, but no more variation than that. Wide tends to be EE, which fits OK on my EEE feet.

Old 08-19-15, 11:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
slightly

I know when we reminiscence we tend to remember the good things and forget the bad but while I was washing and vacuuming my wife's car this afternoon I realized that her car is 13 yrs old with 185k but there isn't a rip or worn thin spot anywhere on her cloth seats. You know they switched from cloth seats to vinyl because vinyl was so much better and could go several years before showing signs of wear. I hadn't really thought about it before but used to be all cars that were 5 yrs old and had 50k had seats that needed to be reupholstered.

Old 08-19-15, 12:04 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I wish shoes were still available in different widths.
That's what I like about New Balance. They have wide widths.
I've heard it said that feet don't stop growing but mine hasn't changed since the 60s. It's also been said that if you remember the 60s you really weren't there.

Old 08-19-15, 01:55 PM
Group Moderator
I'm 43 and I still remember thouse things. You just have to buy your shoes from a "real" shoe store. They will have one.

Old 08-19-15, 05:46 PM
I hadn't really thought about it before but used to be all cars that were 5 yrs old and had 50k had seats that needed to be reupholstered.
Are you sure you don't have that one backwards? My car is 18 years old and has cloth seats. Except for a small tear in the bottom part of the back seat, caused about fifteen years ago when I transported a 1200 ampere circuit breaker with the mounting bolts in place, my seat upholstery is just fine. I DO remember vinyl seats starting to crack after about five years.

Old 08-19-15, 06:20 PM
I am hard to fit for shoes properly.

I finally went to good shoe store and got fitted with higher quality shoe that felt great. I do not have to abuse my shoes too much and buy types that can be "waterproof".

Once I had that over with, I went to an on-line site that carried the better brands that have proven to be consistent. Since my shoes are used under different, but not severe conditions, they last a long time. Even my summer casual shoes (Birkenstock sandals) that I bought for $100 in 1998 are still going strong today and have been resoled several times. My regular and dressier shoes are Rockports or Rocksports and the have shown to be as durable.

As long as you take care of them, walking through snow or mud can easily handled with a few minutes of cleaning. I don't keep records, but most of my shoes last me for over 10 years before I relegate to retirement.

When I traveled internationally for 2-4 weeks at a time, I used 2 pair of shoes and alternated them daily because the climate in a place like India can take a toll. I learned to put them on their sides to air them out thoroughly, no matter where I stay. - It was like putting on a new pair every morning. In some of the nasty places, I would out them on the dresser at night to keep the critters out, but the housekeeping always put them back on the floor where they did not dry out as well.

It pays to go with good shoes if you want economy and good fit.

Dick

Old 08-19-15, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator
Rockports are expensive Dick, but I'm with you. I wore them instead of regular Navy shoes when I was in. They could be resoled and were very good. Can only get them online here.

Old 08-19-15, 07:56 PM
I remember those shoe measuring tools but haven't seen one in a while as most of my shoes I buy online for convenience. The best shoes I have bought are from a major shoe retailer that also sells online. The last time I was there though they didn't have one of those measuring devices I guess it depends on where you buy your shoes. I tried a different online retailer that doesn't have a brick and mortar presence and the only thing that was half way decent was their slippers, everything else wasn't sized right.

Old 08-20-15, 03:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you sure you don't have that one backwards? My car is 18 years old and has cloth seats.
Furd you need to back up further I don't remember when vinyl seats came out but the cars way back when that had cloth seats didn't fare well as the cloth would be tattered in just a few years. I guess it was back in the 50s.

I used 2 pair of shoes and alternated them daily because the climate
I had to do the same thing when I worked in fla. Because of the humidity my socks [along with everything else] would be completely soaked by the end of the day and I always had trouble with the skin on my feet With the exception of here lately it's been a non issue here in tenn

Old 08-20-15, 03:52 AM
On my first new car, a 67 Pontiac Tempest and my wife's (girlfriend back then) 67 Nova we installed those clear plastic Fingerhut seat covers over cloth seats. Didn't take them off until we sold those cars many years later. Seats were like new.

Bud

Old 08-20-15, 04:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My parents put those plastic seat covers on a 63 [?] rambler they bought almost new. While it did a good job of protecting the seats, I remember how sweaty your back got sitting on them.

Old 08-20-15, 04:33 AM
The best interior car seat was an American Motors Matador. It had woven vinyl seats. Worn like iron, felt like cloth. Did not get hot in summer and felt comfortable in winter. The key was a woven vinyl.

Old 08-20-15, 02:06 PM
Furd you need to back up further I don't remember when vinyl seats came out but the cars way back when that had cloth seats didn't fare well as the cloth would be tattered in just a few years. I guess it was back in the 50s.
Mark, I'm thinking of cars from the late forties and into the early fifties. All of them had fabric seats and all of them were in acceptable condition in the early sixties unless they had suffered damage from screwdrivers in your pocket or other such items. The earliest plastic (I don't know if it was vinyl) seating I remember was from about 1954 Fords and it was a woven "cloth" using plastic yarns. They may have not worn as much as cloth but they were more susceptible to damage, I remember far more holes in those seats than in the cloth seats.

Once they started making the covering material out of more-or-less "solid" plastic, think imitation leather, they looked good for the first couple of years and then started cracking and otherwise breaking down. My first car had these imitation leather seats and by the time I sold it (eight years old) the driver's seat look like crap with all the rips and tears. The back seat, not much good for anything but grocery sacks, looked brand new.

Old 08-20-15, 02:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Maybe everyone I was around was rougher on the upholstery. I remember a lot of cloth seats that were worn thru.

Old 08-20-15, 03:15 PM
You guys buy shoes from shoe stores? That's so weird!

Old 08-20-15, 03:27 PM
I don't think I ever payed more than $50 for a pair of shoes. And the one 's I buy seem to fit fine and wear well. Sears is my usual place to buy shoes.

Old 08-20-15, 03:43 PM
FIL always had problem feet. Way back doctors were prescribing special shoes that cost him close to $200 a pair. Around the late 80's he came to Maine for a visit and happened to stop in at our local Saucony outlet and thought he would try a pair of sneakers. They were black and apparently made for postal workers. After returning to NJ he called and had us pick up 2 more pairs. He said his feet never felt as good. Went to the doctor and no more feet problems, ever again.

Now I know some modern day sneakers are extremely comfortable, but it makes you wonder what all of those doctors were doing, besides lining their pockets.

BTW, I have been wearing NB as mentioned in a 4E width for almost 20 years.

Bud

Old 08-20-15, 03:48 PM
I was going to my sister-in-laws wedding and I needed a new pair of good looking "dress" shoes. I went to Nordstrom (which started in Seattle as a shoe store) and asked the clerk what he had. He showed me a pair of Italian loafers that had a price of around $250 as I recall. I told him that I worked for a living and couldn't afford anything that costly. He replied that he, too, worked for a living and he wouldn't sell those to me even if I wanted them.

He then showed me a pair of Cross Jacks (or Crossjacks) by Wright. These were around $100 and were not only very good looking but butter-soft to the feel. I wore those shoes for several years, often to work as they were so comfortable. I think I had them re-soled twice before I finally wore a hole through the side. I bought a new pair but they weren't quite as nice and I think they were little less in price. I'm pretty sure I still have them although I don't know where they might be. I noticed that doing a Google that there are several pairs of Cross Jacks on ebay for prices up to fifty bucks or so...used.

I used to get Hush Puppies, not the suede ones, from a local shoe store that specialized in wide shoes. They were the ONLY shoe store where I could walk in, buy a pair (or two) of shoes and walk out in the space of 30 minutes or less. These shoes would cost, on average, about $80-$85 a pair and I would get a full year's wear out of them.

The last few years I have been buying some $12.95 shoes from Wally World that have Velcro straps. Since my feet started to swell a few years ago these cheap clunkers are the ONLY thing I have found that fit. They don't last all that long, maybe four or five months a pair and the reason they last that long is probably because much of the time I am either barefoot or wearing bedroom slippers. I have several pairs of shoes that are in excellent condition but I can't get much more than my toes in them due to the swelling.

Old 08-20-15, 03:57 PM
Bud, my daddy also wore EEEE width shoes. The odd thing is that they were only 8-1/2 inch size so almost as wide as they were long. He could only wear Knapp brand shoes that he bought mail-order through a local agent. They had thick rubber soles and my younger brother and I called them "Frankensteins" because they were so big.

My feet are not nearly as wide as his but I do need a large shoe, 11-1/2 or 12 if the manufacturer is American or sometimes as large as a 14 if made in China. With my swollen feet it is even difficult to find a bedroom slipper that will accept my foot. I have a pair of Dr. Scholl's with Velcro straps that I can get on but the straps are too short.

Old 08-21-15, 04:42 AM
Group Moderator
Had some pain in my right foot couple of years ago (later diagnosed as Morton's neuroma) and the podiatrist had one of those old-fashioned devices. Found out I was wearing shoes that were too small. He confirmed that feet grow as we age. When I was much younger I wore 8's or 8 1/2's (my footwear issue in boot camp were 8's). Now I wear 9 1/2's and foot pain is gone.

Old 08-21-15, 05:38 AM
Admin Emeritus

I remember that foot measuring device of yesteryear!!! Long gone are those days....

Fact: our feet do change in size over time. Wider and longer often applies. There is no substitute for quality, comfort and a good fit. Anything else is a compromise. Our foot arches also change over time. Shoe arch supports help with comfort too.

Problem is over all sizes vary by manufacture as does the style among manufacturers. None seem to allow the shoe cut to not be not one zillionth of a micro inch extra then is absolutely necessary! DAM COMPUTER CUTS! One size by style or manufacturer does not fit all!

There are several online shoe retailers and departments within some specially stores that due offer wide widths. One just has to search them out. Masons is but one. Hitchcock is yet another. Some outdoor sporting goods shops offer wide widths. Same applies to work shoe retailers brick and mortar retail stores.

IMO, to get a good fit and a quality shoe is like almost everything else. You have to be willing to pay the price. However, at good fit adds lots of comfort. IMO worth the price. You may or may not agree.

That old saying: if the shoe fits....wear it!!!

Old 08-21-15, 09:30 AM
Group Moderator
Joel - did you get your Hush Puppies at Buster Brown?

Been a while since I lived out there but I recall getting some shoes from that store as a kid....

Old 08-21-15, 03:36 PM
"There's Buster Brown, he lives in a shoe. There's his dog Tige he lives there too."

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54919[/ATTACH]

I always thought that Buster Brown was a girl with that stupid hair and hat. As I recall there was a Buster Brown television show back in the mid fifties (when I was about five years old.). I think they had a Buster Brown shoe store a few miles from where I grew up (in the Greenwood neighborhood, I lived in the Fremont neighborhood, in Seattle) but I'm not sure. I know there were two different children's shoe stores in the same block. One of them even had an X-ray machine that allowed you to see your feet, or at least the bones in your feet, while wearing the shoes. At least one of these two stores did sell Buster Brown shoes.

But to answer your question...no, I didn't get them from a Buster Brown store. I think I started wearing suede shoes about the sixth grade and while not all suede shoes were Hush Puppies the better ones were. I would say that I have worn Hush Puppies almost exclusively from about the time I turned twenty until my mid fifties, both suede and polished leather and both loafers and laced styles.

Attached Images