Backing up

Old 08-19-15, 02:16 PM
Backing up

Anyone else get a kick out of watching people try and back up a trailer at the dump or better yet a boat ramp?
Many times at the dump I've gotten out and asked them to get out and let me back it up for them after sitting there waiting for them trying to do it for the past 15 min.
At the boat ramp I've seen them get out after backing up without putting it in park and have the whole boat, trailer, and truck end up in the water.
Another one was afraid of getting wet I guess and refused to back up enough to get the fenders wet and was trying to push off a 20+ ft. boat off the trailer that was not even touching the water.
The funnest one was when they pulled up it looked like they knew what they were doing.
They had someone at the helm, hit the ramp in one pass perfect, back up far enough.
Boat motor starts up, goes in reverse, the truck driver pulls forward wide open to snap the boat off the trailer.
Problum is they forgot to take the straps and wench cable off the boat so they go flying through the parking lot with the boat motor running wide open burning up the water pump.
The best one's are the husband and wife teams.
Most often she stands where he can not see her in the mirror waving her arms like a wind mill in a hurricane.
Guess it does not take much to amuse me.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-15, 03:32 PM
I have enjoyed the scenes many times. Even had to back a big rig away from a fuel island for a J.B. Hunt driver that had come in the wrong way!

RR

P.S. Made my children prove up on trailer backing before allowing them to take state driving test. My daughter has thanked me for those lessons. She has a 30' gooseneck trailer for her horses and can put it "right there"!

Old 08-19-15, 03:52 PM
Good deal, now have her try and back some home owners low 8' trailer and see how that works out.
By the time it's jack knifed and you can see it in the mirror it's to late.
The longer it is the easier it is.
Kills me when I hear people telling someone how to back up a trailer.
Put your hands on the bottom of the wheel instead of the top turn it this way and that.
The way I learned was just practice, practice, when no one's around watching.
Now I can come home after dark, had a few drinks and can still weave it in place.

Old 08-19-15, 04:18 PM
@joecaption;
Yeah, she can back her lawnmower trailer wherever.

Now if you want to really have fun, try backing a steerable front axle 20' farm trailer with a 4spd old 6 cyl pickup with manual steering.

RR

Old 08-19-15, 04:23 PM
That one I'd want to plan on going foward only.
Never was good at compound angles.

Old 08-19-15, 05:29 PM
Must be nice to be perfect.

Old 08-20-15, 03:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
if you want to really have fun, try backing a steerable front axle 20' farm trailer
Back in the early 70s I worked for an outfit that had a rolling scaffold turned into a trailer. We'd load all the bucks onto the trailer, let the air out of the tires [if not it'd bounce everywhere] and drag it to the jobsite. If you didn't remember to stop and air the tires up before you got to the job the scaffolding was too wobbly We learned early on it was forward only, if you needed to back it up you were best off unhooking it!

I never was much good at backing up short low trailers I'm blind in one eye and my neck doesn't turn well so nowadays if it doesn't show up in the mirrors - I'm going to have trouble backing it up.

Old 08-20-15, 03:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have one trailer that I bought specifically to haul my ZTR to the shop if needed. It gets used for other stuff, but mainly the width with no obstruction for the 5' cutting deck and chute. I cannot see it at all behind my dually mainly because of the tool boxes and the height of the truck bed. When I start jacking it, if I can see a tire emerge in a mirror, I have to go the other way to keep it straight. So mostly I pull it with the Jeep Cherokee when possible.

Old 08-20-15, 05:17 AM
It might be funny to watch but some people have a knack while other have a tough time. I find myself in between. My son-in-law can take any unseen trailer of any size and back it with his eyes closed. The kid is good.

My neighbor across the street.

See that trailer on the side of the house across the street from me (left hand corner)? I believe that is a 40 footer with a 20 foot flat bed trailer attached. That unit is parked with about 6" of space from the house. I've seen that kid do that every time usually in one shot and as smooth as silk.

My oldest son has a boat and a tow behind RV. He claims because the boat trailer is so much longer, especially at the hitch end that it is much easier than a trailer that is small and close to the vehicle.

Old 08-20-15, 05:44 AM
Anyone that owns one of those really low, short trailer should concider adding one of those poles with the little flag on it that I've seen on kids big wheels so you can see them behind a car, or just a driveway marker.
Anything for a referance point.