How to Prevent Eye Glasses from Slipping?

Old 08-19-15, 11:38 PM
Lightbulb How to Prevent Eye Glasses from Slipping?

Hello. This is question is for folks who wear glasses.

I am looking for sharp advice on how to prevent eye glasses from slipping which happens a lot when I am physically active. I use them in office and they are good until I do my exercise or cleaning. They start slowly slipping down as there's some sweat on my ears and I have to constantly use wipe cloths.

I am looking for possible solution to that. I think my glasses frame has to do with it as it is plastic made and I believe coated/laminated due to its glossy appearance. Methinks metal frame would have better grip but I believe there is something that can be done without buying new frame.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-15, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator
Uhhh...use a strap that goes behind your head?

Frame has noting to do with it. Very soft silicone nose pieces may help, but the only sure way is the strap.

Old 08-20-15, 12:15 AM
I have the strap but it is not designed to secure glasses against head. More like to not lose glasses. I use it when swimming with sunglasses as it allows them to float on surface in case big wave hits me and sweeps them away.

I guess I DIY to shorten them but I was wondering if there are already sold for these. Actually headband like this would be good but adjusted for glasses and thinner:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54866[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 08-20-15, 03:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have no idea what a martial arts headband has to do with keeping glasses on your head. Here is what Vic was talking about. Google "croakies"

Name:  croakie.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  25.0 KB

Old 08-20-15, 03:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most eye glass stores will adjust your glasses for free .... as many times as needed to get them to fit right. I've used the straps like Larry pictured but not since the 60s - they do keep the glasses securely in place.

Old 08-20-15, 03:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The two adjustments that are made involve either bending the frames so that they hug your head tighter, or bending them so that they fit snugger behind your ears. Depending on the frame material, you can either do this yourself, or ask the store where you bought them to adjust them for you. Metal frames can be bent by hand, plastic frames can be softened by steam and bent into shape.

Old 08-20-15, 03:49 AM
My daughter/optometrist orders longer frame sides for my head. That way she can adjust the bend to where it is more over and past my ear to hold them on securely. Mostly my frames are titanium so they have to be bent using a special light spectrum thingy. Try bending them and they spring right back where they were.

Old 08-20-15, 03:55 AM
+1 for Croakies! I am checking them out and so far I like what I see. I wonder if they sell on eBay though...

Old 08-20-15, 03:58 AM
They sell posters of Wheaties boxes with Bruce Jenner on them, so I don't see why not.

Old 08-21-15, 04:11 AM
Admin Emeritus

Say you want Sharp Advice? I got it.......

Best advice is to NOT bend frames etc. Len's distortion can or might likely result. A very difficult condition to correct frames once frame is bent or distorted in any fashion. Same applies to glasses anywhere else.

Best advice is to go to ANY optometrist in area and request they bend the nose support bracket's only. Tighter fitting to suite your personal preferences. Must be done carefully so as not to break them off the frames...

Have had this process done professionally before myself. IMO works best. Not a DIY task. If glasses do not have nose pads an optometrist is still best choice. They can heat frames slightly enough to conform frames to nose.

Nose bracket adhesive pads might also work. Peal and press in place type. Cheap, quick and replaceable as needed.

All else fails, glue them onto nose...LOL!

My Sharp Advice Two Cents!

Old 08-21-15, 03:21 PM
Slight correction there, Sharp. It is best to see an optician. An optician is a trained professional that fits eyeglasses. They know how and where to bend the temples and nose pads to fit your face. Any place that sells prescription eye wear will have at least one, usually more than one, licensed optician on duty during normal business hours.

Difference between an Ophthalmologist, Optometrist and Optician — AAPOS

Search this Thread