Allstate's Road Side Asssitance?

Old 08-27-15, 10:50 PM
Group Moderator
Allstate's Road Side Asssitance?

Has anyone used Allstate's road side assistance. The free one included with the car insurance policy not the paid one from Allstate Motor Club. From what I got from the agent its only free for tows of $120 or less but I wonder how many miles before it goes over $120 or if they always manage to figure it at more than $120.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-15, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator
t_t_g will be able to answer better, but when I drove a tow truck in Long Beach, CA a typical 5-10 mile tow without AAA was about $50-75. Of course that was 35 yrs ago.

I'd guess that $120 now would maybe be less than 5 miles. I had a to get towed about that far back in 2005 and it was $80. Might want to see if there's a clause like " or to the nearest repair station". Also look if includes things like jumps and gas.

Old 08-28-15, 04:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Around here you can get a tow truck fairly cheap. I think the most I've paid was $75 for 10-15 miles BUT for some reason if the tow truck is called by the police - the price doubles

I have 2 of our 3 vehicles covered for towing but there is an extra charge. Are you sure it isn't the same on your insurance? I don't have the ins bill handy but I think it's like $25-$30 a year per vehicle.

You could call a couple of tow companies and find out what the going rate is in your area.

Old 08-28-15, 05:44 AM
Group Moderator
At my current rates, five mile tow = $70 retail/$60 wholesale; ten mile tow = $85 retail/$75 wholesale. I give wholesale price to a lot of my tows, even the non-commercial. For $120 I can tow you a long ways, but in a lot of areas the rates are considerably higher. Here it would get you 20-25 miles, maybe 30 if I discounted it a bit.

Most insurance-included costs are pretty low. We have it on my wife's Camry with GEICO that costs $8/year.

A word about motor clubs. Without mentioning names, so I won't have to give myself an infraction for bashing, the payment rates of some of the biggest motor clubs is so low that a lot of towing companies, at least in this area, won't run them. Or rather, the companies that are ostensibly in that motor clubs "network" suddenly become "too busy" when the club calls. Doesn't bother me; I'm not on any motor clubs network list. What this means is that when they run out of network providers they start calling out of network. Guess what, it works just like doctors. When Allstate, et al, calls me to ask if I can do a call they get quoted a premium price and have to give me a credit card. They generally do without batting an eye. I always ask the customer how long they waited to ensure they know if it was longer than expected, it wasn't my fault.

Here's a sample rate, and this rate is fairly common across the motor club spectrum including the subject of this thread, almost like they share the sheet among themselves:

"Light duty" tow (up to 10,000 pounds):

$29; Includes 5 miles of towing. No en-route mileage until 10 miles.

Let's analyze:

1. A lot of the motor clubs do not want to pay a higher rate for a "medium duty" tow until it exceeds 10,000#. Really? My wrecker weighs 9300#. Anybody really think that's a light-duty tow???

2. With the quoted rate, you could conceivably drive 30 miles without getting anything more than the base rate of $29. I can hardly get in my truck and turn the key for $29.

3. Other rates are similarly under-priced; jump starts, tire changes, winching. For instance an accident call is $60 base rate. Current rates here, controlled by the jurisdictions, is $125.

Just as a side note, a couple of years ago Allstate bought out Signature. Signature used to be the go-to behind the scenes motor club for most of the department store and gas station motor clubs. You might have been carrying a motor club card that said "Penny's" or "Montgomery Ward's" or "AARP", but what you got was Signature. So now Allstate has thousands of more clients to service. Even the insurance companies are subbing out motor club stuff now; State Farm, for instance, I understand now uses Agero (AKA Cross Country) to handle their roadside assistance. Hard to tell the players without a scorecard.

Old 08-28-15, 05:49 AM
Group Moderator
Additional note about one item Mark touched on - law enforcement tows:

The most reputable towing companies do not charge the accident rate for a simple police-dispatched disabled vehicle call. The less consumer-friendly companies automatically charge the "rotation" rate because they can. That practice stinks; no polite way to say it.

Also what Vic mentioned about limitations: there are some, besides what Vic said, such as not being towed from one garage to another and some require towing to the dealership or "approved" garage. I've even had customers say they won't get reimbursed for a tow if the tow originates from their residence.

Old 08-28-15, 08:34 AM
Group Moderator
A word about motor clubs. Without mentioning names, so I won't have to give myself an infraction for bashing, the payment rates of some of the biggest motor clubs is so low that a lot of towing companies, at least in this area, won't run them. Or rather, the companies that are ostensibly in that motor clubs "network" suddenly become "too busy" when the club calls.
I think I know who you mean. I had then 30 years ago and more then once after an hour or more I gave up and dialed a tow service scribbled on the phone booth. They showed up in 15 or 20 min.

Still stinging from the four block $160 tow when the guy ran the stop sign and plowed into me but as said that was probably an emergency tow rate.

Newer old vehicle and rates have went up a bit. Allstate is only a couple of dollars cheaper but I liked the free tow feature.

Old 08-28-15, 12:15 PM
Something to keep in mind...

My sister had tow coverage with her auto insurance. She also happened to drive a car with a tendency to overheat. She got dropped by her insurer for having too many tow claims.

- Peter

Old 08-28-15, 12:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Along with what Peter said, my wife, a few years before I met her bought one of those roadside assistance policies that covered whatever vehicle you were in so she didn't think twice about helping friends/family out whenever they had car trouble and she was around ...... they refused to renew her policy after the year was up.

Old 08-29-15, 02:42 PM
Group Moderator
Triple-A, as far as I know, has a three tow limitation. Their website says four, but that's not what I've heard. Not sure about the other clubs. I do know you don't want to go over-mileage on a Triple-A tow; around here their providers get $5/mile when over the included mileage.

Old 08-29-15, 03:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
With my insurance, we have towing coverage. Rather than dealing with deductible or other allowances, I just pay the driver and turn the bill in to my agent. Always get a check for the full amount, so it works for me doing it that way.

Old 08-29-15, 04:31 PM
Group Moderator
The second time the they called me in one day to persuade me to switch my insurance and I got a third slightly different explanation that the agent seemed to be guessing at I told them don't call again. It was a really strange sales technique they used. First a sales person on the line who interrogated you then conferenced you with an alleged agent who again as the same questions and then gave you a number of the local agent who they would have call you. Almost felt like I was being flim flamed. Calling me at 7:30 at night was the straw that broke the camels back.

I'm keeping my current insurance company and signed up for premium AARP road side assistance. Four free tows per year of up to 100 miles each for less than I've paid for a single tow in a lot of years.

Old 08-30-15, 08:46 AM
Group Moderator
AARP = Allstate/Signature Motor Club.

Old 08-30-15, 10:02 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, I know and considered going with AMC directly but the AARP rate was a bit better and I was a bit bitter.

Search this Thread