Which shoe to tie first?

Old 08-29-15, 06:34 PM
Group Moderator
Which shoe to tie first?

So I was reading this thread which seemed to have been answered fairly well, and yet the op is still fretting about what to do. I guess I don't quite understand why some people- who have some fairly simple (at least to us) problem- get good advice... but either fail to grasp it, or don't want to do it because it isn't what they want to hear, or maybe they are just afraid to do it. So instead of doing what was suggested in answer to their original question, they continue to ask even more questions.

I suppose what it comes down to is maybe a lack of confidence in their own abilities... or perhaps skepticism that the people giving the advice actually know what they are talking about.

Sometimes I find myself looking at these questions in the framework of: How much time was spent discussing this subject, and writing all of these questions and replies?

It just seems like a 5 minute job does not require so much discussion. But I suppose it is good to keep in mind that not everyone knows how to do simple tasks... like using a simple ratchet screwdriver for example. Seems simple enough, but I guess they don't come with instructions now, do they? And not to be sexist, but it does seem like there are certain people who prefer to discuss all angles of a problem until every possibility has been exhausted. This drives me bananas but I guess I can always step out of a conversation at any time, using the "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" method of commenting/replying. Some days I struggle with that more than others... maybe you have found the same to be true.

Unhelpful replies just ought to be deleted.

So let us try to keep the right frame of mind, being as helpful as possible to all... hopefully this will remain one of the best DIY forums on the internet. Kudos to everyone here who helps to keep it that way... you know who you are and I have the greatest respect for your knowledge and advice.

Now back to the original question... which shoe should I tie first?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-15, 06:43 PM
Group Moderator
I can always step out of a conversation at any time, using the "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" method of commenting/replying. Some days I struggle with that more than others... maybe you have found the same to be true.
I'd say that sums it up just right.

........ oh and it's left shoe first. Name:  Frustrated.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  18.0 KB

Old 08-29-15, 06:59 PM
Temporarily Suspended
So I was reading this thread which seemed to have been answered fairly well, and yet the op is still fretting about what to do
Chances are that he didn't like the cost. Whenever the question is why, the answer is money.

It just seems like a 5 minute job does not require so much discussion
When it gets to that point, I unsubscribe from the thread. I can't count the threads that I abandon before the end.

Unhelpful replies just ought to be deleted.
That's way to vague. Who decides what's unhelpful & by what criteria?

Now back to the original question... which shoe should I tie first?
I wear sneakers with Velcro. Try it. You'll like it.

Old 08-29-15, 07:13 PM
As soon as I read the words "I need a fast, easy, cheap" ECT. way to do something I loose interest. When they post about a five word question with no information.
They try and build something totally wrong and get 3/4 done, then start asking questions and get upset when you suggest tearing it down and starting over.

Old 08-30-15, 03:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't quite understand why some people- who have some fairly simple (at least to us) problem- get good advice... but either fail to grasp it, or don't want to do it because it isn't what they want to hear, or maybe they are just afraid to do it. So instead of doing what was suggested in answer to their original question, they continue to ask even more questions
Makes you wonder sometimes if the OP is really that dense but then if you step back and think about the things you might not have a handle on it makes you think maybe it's not been explained well enough [I know I can be kind of dense when it comes to technological stuff ] More than once I've thought I could do the job in question in less time than was spent explaining how. The nice thing about the forums is if you get frustrated with how a thread is going you can always quit responding

Unhelpful replies just ought to be deleted
sometimes they are, it's a judgement call.

which shoe should I tie first
Work boots are my only footwear that has strings but I normally tie the right side first

Old 08-30-15, 05:14 AM
I have neighbor who will ask me a DIY question and then ask if I will accompany him to the store to pick out material. He'll ask my advise as to what to buy or how to it. I tell him. He will immediately find a clerk and ask the same question as if I was never was there. He'll go and take the clerks advice (whom he does not know) over mine knowing full well my abilities and experience. He's done this twice to me. I have since learned not to go with him to buy material. He will sometimes come into our store and find me. Then he will take my advice as to what he needs and how to do it. It must be the uniform and the fact that a working clerk is much more qualified than a person who actually does work on his own and has a proven track record. Idiot!

Old 08-30-15, 05:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My pet peeve are the folks that rule out the #1 way of performing a task and then tag the question with - "doing 'X' is out of the question". Example - I want to dig a hole and using a shovel is out of the question. or I want to install a new floor and removing the old floor is out of the question.

I usually respond once as politely as possible and hope they see the folly of their ways. Sometimes they come around, sometimes they don't. I have posed the question before if they just run to another forum to seek the answer they want and from what you folks say, is that is exactly what they do. I don't frequent any other forum so I don't know.

Fondest memory -

#1 The gal who took all the scrap lumber from a construction site and wanted to build a 3 bay garage out of it. None of the pieces were longer than 3 feet. That one got nasty in the end. I believe she stated that "buying additional lumber was out of the question". Blabbed on about this being a DIY site not a "Do it like a contractor site". I believe she was from Washington state and couldn't give a bean about snow loads. I recall Larry ended up closing that thread down

Old 08-30-15, 05:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I remember that thread I was kind of poor when I was younger and learned to do a lot with less but some things just don't work! Half way to town there is a small barn that must have scrap siding on it as none of the pieces appear to be longer than 3' but I assume the framing is right since it's been standing for 5-6 yrs.

Old 08-30-15, 05:36 AM
Admin Emeritus

Hello: XSleeper

You bring up some good points. Never know whom the OP is nor their knowledge base, skills set, self confidence or the info they are providing is correct among a few others. Primary reasons why one must proceed with cautions providing advice on subjects of electrical panels and sub panels, etc.

Any misunderstandings can be fatal or highly dangerous to a member whom fails to have the basics or knowledge base and/or confidence, skill sets to work on anything electrical. Especially where there is higher voltages then that in an outlet wall plug or light switch, etc.

Same applies to gas fuel of any type. Might be an odor to warn of a leak but one has to know where it is and what went wrong and exactly how to correct it, etc. In such instances always safe not to provide some information to the unknown person(s).

Old 08-30-15, 06:07 AM
Some other top picks.

Anyone trying to pore a whole slab for a deck, basement or garage using bags and a wheel barrow.

Disconnecting all the wires in a 3 way or switch looped light fixture without marking anything or leaving the the nutted wires not connected to the light alone.

"There are no codes here so I can do it anyway I want to" I guess safety and minimum standards do not apply on there planet.

One like this that has been posted many times is "I have a 35 sq. 12-12 pitched roof I want to reroof by myself, can I do it in sections?"
Anything "can" be done, but in real life it sometimes makes little since.

I feel for you Norm, many times I've tried to help people out but often times find no good deed goes unpunished.
My buddy asked me how much it would cost to reroof his summer home, so I gave him a price and a material list. He says my price is to high and instead does it himself and a "helper" that told him he had done roofing before.
They did not replace any of the roof jacks, used paper thin flashing around the chimmneys that was just stuck to the sides with Black Jack, flashed the valleys completely wrong.
Within a year the sheathing was rotted out and all the sheet rock in the ceilings was ruined.
He had me redo the whole thing and it's not leaked a drop since.
But think of all the money he saved

Old 08-30-15, 02:25 PM
The posts that really bother me are the ones that read as if the writer never graduated from the first grade. The ones where the writer can't be bothered with silly little things like starting a sentence with a capital letter, not capitalizing the letter I when referring to themselves, not knowing the difference between no and know, pore and pour, seem and seam, their, there and they're. Using a plethora of "made-up" abbreviations, not using the correct abbreviation such as writing ECT instead of etc.

Second most irritating are those that set themselves up as an expert on everything and then dispense information as gospel.

Third most irritating are those that never return to answer questions or to say thank you.

Fourth most irritating are the ones that describe what they plan to do, or have done, and then want the blessings of people that KNOW what they described is wrong, dangerous or unlawful.

I guess that is why I don't post much anymore.

Search this Thread