Things I see on television that really bug me.

Old 08-31-15, 12:34 PM
Things I see on television that really bug me.

Feel free to add to the list.

1. On almost every program that includes an outside door there is a huge gap between the bottom of the door and the great outdoors. Maybe the occupants really want all the wind, dirt, leaves and critters to come inside.

2. Pushbutton light switches that haven't been used since the 1930s are common.

3. Bedrooms or apartments in attics that have exposed rafters. These rooms must be real comfortable in the middle of both summer and winter.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-15, 03:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
One thing that bugs me is the disclaimers on prescription drugs. They list a litany of side effects, some of which include rashes, muscular spasms, and even death. I think I would rather die of psoriasis than the side effects of the drug that treats it.

Old 08-31-15, 03:59 PM
What shows are you talking about? DIY shows?
You can still buy push button switches, there not cheap because there's little demand.
http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Accent.../dp/B0002EVT5Y

Old 08-31-15, 05:04 PM
One that bugs me is from the flip type shows when a contractor discovers a disaster and the flipper responds "we don't have money for that". Although not openly stated, that usually means "we need to cover that up somehow because we can't afford to fix it right."

Bud

Old 08-31-15, 05:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Oh, yeah. We are in the process of demo'ing the interior of a log cabin for a remodel. It only takes the home shows 15 minutes to do it. Why is it taking us 3 days??? Even the owner asked how long before we would be going back in with stuff. Methinks they watch too much TV.

Old 08-31-15, 07:01 PM
I always love it when the featured star of the show is shown doing actual work, like they were there to work on the entire project. At the end of each take they step aside and the crew takes over.

On a different topic, the news and weather people go above and beyond to tag every presentation with bigger and badder adjectives. The storm of the century is no longer bad enough, it has to be the worst ever seen.

Bud

Old 09-01-15, 02:53 AM
Joe, when was the last time you saw a pushbutton light switch in a house that was not owned by a preservationist?

Here's another. Playing channel roulette tonight I came across an episode of Sea Hunt. In addition to Mike Seahunt and his SCUBA outfit they had a hard-hat diver. Seahunt stated in the narration that the hard hat was outdated but guess what? Hard hat diving is alive and well, not only in 1960 when that show was made but to this very day.

Anyway, the hard hat diver and Mike are working together when all of a sudden the hard hat diver disappears. Mike looks around and finds the umbilical severed and the hose slightly bubbling but no sign of the diver. Now anyone with an ounce of brains knows that a hose discharging at 50 psi (the standard pressure over the depth pressure) will be bubbling furiously and most likely whipping around but this hose is just barely bubbling.

So anyway, Mike goes up to tell the people in the dive boat what happened and then another diver decides to go down with Mike and look around. Mike insists that this new diver wear a life-line in addition to the umbilical. Again, anyone with any brains KNOWS that hard hat divers ALWAYS have a life-line. Also, no mention of the intercom is made yet the communications cable married to the air hose is plainly visible. Oh, yeah, when they had hauled up the umbilical of the previous diver it was a hose about half the diameter of a standard diving hose.

This new diver finds out that there is an underwater quicksand pit and he gets caught. Mike tries to pull him out but (of course) can't so he has to signal on the lifeline for the people on the boat (I can't call them tenders because they are clueless) to pull. All this time I'm wondering why the guy doesn't just increase the pressure in the diving dress (proper name for a diving suit) by either increasing the air coming in, cranking down on the automatic exhaust valve or by grabbing the chin valve with his mouth, closing the exhaust valve. Well, Seahunt finally gets the guy loose and as soon as he starts rising from the quicksand we see that the dress IS over-inflated.

Then Mike Seahunt and one of the others take the speedboat to go tell the authorities of the death of the first diver. Before he leaves Mike tells the young woman NOT to attempt to dive but he isn't even 100 yards away and she starts putting on the diving dress. She goes down, get caught in the quicksand, has her lifeline snag on a rock and when they try to haul her up the lifeline parts. Seahunt dives down and again tries to lift her from the quicksand and fails. He follows the umbilical and finds the parted lifeline. Amazingly, the rope from the boat is only a foot above so he ties the two ends together with a big granny knot and then the combined pull of the lifeline and from Mike is able to free the woman.

Now I understand that most people won't have my knowledge of diving but when Hollywood ignores basic truisms it just plain ruins it for me.

Old 09-01-15, 03:54 AM
That push button is more common than you might think. Go to any old neighborhood in any urban city and look inside some of those old run down homes. Safe? Anybodies guess but there out there.

Old 09-01-15, 04:17 AM
I've been in lots of old houses over the years and most of those old switches had been replaced.

Old 09-01-15, 06:47 AM
Most of the '30s bungalows around here (Detroit 'burbs) still have the pushbutton switches in at least some rooms that haven't been totally renovated. Those rooms that HAVE been renovated--livingroom and kitchen especially--are the ones you're most likely to visit, so you see only the new toggles.

I'm sure that's rapidly changing with the disappearance of mom&pop hardware stores that stock stuff for older homes.

Old 09-01-15, 06:50 AM
Back on subject...

Evidently most areas of the US don't have bugs because it's rare to see window screens in movies & shows.

Old 09-01-15, 07:14 AM
Group Moderator
Evidently most areas of the US don't have bugs
They had an outdoor cooking show on PBS. The guy is in a pasture with horses in the background. I never once saw a single fly. Same thing with other people outside on shows having a barbeque not a single fly. Yes, where do these people live?

Old 09-01-15, 09:39 AM
Those TV show sets as well as Disney World are heavly sprayed.

Search this Thread