I hate dealing with idiots!

Old 09-18-15, 03:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I hate dealing with idiots!

The transfer case shift lever came loose on my jeep causing it to be stuck in 4 wheel drive. While it's a pain to access it was easy to determine that the bushings on each end of the cable had failed. Researched it on the net and the part is available online, $3 each. Called the jeep dealership and they said they had them in stock but I would need the vin number to verify they sold me the right one. This bushing fits all 2007-2015 wranglers plus some other mopar 4x4s.

So I went to the dealership and wait in line for 15 minutes and then they say you can't buy just the bushing you have to order the whole assembly 2 hrs wasted!! Ordered 3 bushings online for $12 [including shipping], they should get here next week. I knew I'd pay a premium price at the dealership but figured it was worth it to be able to fix it today. Did I mention I hate dealing with idiots!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-15, 05:23 PM
Group Moderator
I have recently learned, due to comments on this site, that it pays to be patient when it comes to auto parts. Even auto part stores know you want to fix it now to get that commuter car going.

In the past year I have bought these OEM parts (ACDelco) for my for about half what the local part store would charge me:
Fuel pump $160
Front brake rotors $27 each
Front brake pads $25 set
Starter $55
2 door lock actuators $105 and $135

Bonus is when ordering from that really big online store you can get two day shipping if you are a member.

Old 09-18-15, 06:01 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Did I mention I hate dealing with idiots!
Don't forget about the idiots in DC!

Old 09-18-15, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator
I had the same experience in the past Mark. Some parts for my Mazda Tribute were dealer only, but I have no Mazda dealer within 50 miles. Went to a Ford dealer and told him I wanted the same parts for a Ford Escape. He almost refused to sell them to me. Had to get the Supervisor over to ok it. Same exact parts when they came in.

Similar happened to a friend 20 yrs ago. Had a rebadged SUV (I forget the brand...Isuzu maybe?) and took it to a Honda dealer (I think) since it was the same vehicle mechanically. They refused to work on it. Had to go to an independent tranny shop, so the dealer lost out on $2000.

Old 09-19-15, 03:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thinking back I should have known better than to go to that dealer. Last time I went to that parts dept was 7-8 yrs ago to buy a new electrical plug for the gas tank on my previous jeep, 3 prong plug. They had to order it and when it came in it was a 2 prong Had to argue with them to get my money back because they say there is no refunds on special orders.

.... and what's with needing the vin number to buy parts the guy in front of me wanted to buy floor mats for his new dodge truck and they told him he had to go out and get the vin number before they could determine which one fit his truck

Last edited by marksr; 09-19-15 at 04:58 AM. Reason: fix typo
Old 09-19-15, 04:12 AM
Stupidity knows no bounds. You want to laugh and cry? Try going the site, www.notalwaysright.com

Old 09-19-15, 04:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I should have known better, but driving by the Dodge dealer reminded me I needed one bolt for my starter that had apparently gotten loose and fell out. I asked for a starter bolt for a 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 cummins 5.9. They don't have starter bolts. I asked what if one of your technicians needed a bolt, what then? They would have to order it. Duh. When I got home, I determined it to be a metric bolt of a certain size and pitch and found a grade 8 at HD for 45 cents. I wonder what the bolt would have cost at the dealer?

Old 09-19-15, 04:44 AM
Group Moderator
45 dollars.

Old 09-19-15, 04:50 AM
Group Moderator
Chrysler/Jeep must be having a hard time. Article in the consumer advocate's local newspaper column last week about an 80-something lady being told her Dodge mini-van needed rear brake work that would come to $1000.

Old 09-19-15, 04:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That included replacing the rear brake drums/discs with the new gold plated ones, along with the titanium brake discs/shoes, I am sure. Sad thing is, they saw her coming and she probably didn't question it, not knowing any better.

Old 09-19-15, 05:13 AM
Group Moderator
I don't remember all the details, but her total bill was something like $3000 including the other things that were done; this on a vehicle that was only 7 or 8 years old and, I'm guessing here, probably had pretty low mileage given the owner's age. The advocate got them to knock off $900 or so.

Old 09-19-15, 05:56 AM
Group Moderator
"Try going the site, Funny & Stupid Customer Stories – Not Always Right"

Norm, your link does not work. But when I copy and pasted it, it works. That's odd.

Old 09-19-15, 01:01 PM
Norm, your link does not work. But when I copy and pasted it, it works. That's odd.
I wonder if it was because I just typed it in instead of a copy and paste from the actual URL.