getting old

Old 09-21-15, 11:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
getting old

As too many of us know, nothing works quite right when you get old
Coming back from town we drove past the drive in theater and my wife said 'look they're showing Jurassic Squirrel'. While I was trying to figure out what movie that was I saw the sign - Jurassic World A letter from my aunt came today and after she wrote [with shaky hands] about my uncle falling out of bed and knocking down the closet door there was a sentence my wife couldn't understand 'heres a touch of bi??' figured it out he's a tough old bird

Could probably write a book if I could remember all the crazy odd ball things that we do or say now that we are no longer young

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-15, 12:16 PM
Set tool down and can not find it again even though I have not moved.
Leave the house and have to come back at least once for something I forgot.
Make a shopping list and leave it at home or in the truck when I get to the store.
Forget peoples names.
All part of the "golden years"

Old 09-21-15, 12:55 PM
Group Moderator
Anything I need to take with me the next day I stack against the front door the night before. Go to the kitchen for a snack, come back, and when almost finished realize that wasn't what you went for.

Old 09-21-15, 01:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I heard a preacher say we were already in the hereafter .... as in what did I come here after?
I probably don't want to know how many times I've went to the shop [or the kitchen] and didn't get what I went in there for

Loosing tools really aggravates me! My eyesight isn't good enough to spot the tool and my memory doesn't always let me remember where I set it

Old 09-21-15, 05:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Joe, started writing shopping lists on a white erasable board in the kitchen. I take a picture of it with my phone before I leave.

I guess I am anal about it, but all my tools go in certain drawers....flat screw drivers pointed in and phillips pointed out. My helpers know that and reload the truck with tools the same every day. I can go blindfolded and find a tool. Now as for laying a tool down and forgetting where I laid it.........guilty. Then you find it and your brain goes into overdrive. Yep, getting old ain't for sissies.

Old 09-21-15, 06:01 PM
It's kind of cool, grandchild turns two and both grandpa's also have their birthday same day. I'm just turning the clock another year this Wednesday (66 years) and I'm not sure about the other grandpa, buts I think its close to me..

About getting old...I now need one of those headlamps while reading the newspaper.

Old 09-21-15, 06:49 PM
Group Moderator
I think Gremlins take my tools, then after watching me search for about 10 mins, they put them back in plain sight just to watch my reaction. I swear I heard one chuckle once.

Old 09-21-15, 07:05 PM
One of the benefits of not knowing where I put something is that while searching I often find something else I had been looking for.

I always carry a pencil and some paper and I tell everyone it is because of my poor hearing, I can have someone write down things I can't understand. Well, although that has happened on occasion, the real reason is to make notes of passing thoughts. If I don't write it down, 15 seconds later all I can remember is, there was something I needed to remember. Unfortunately I can't blame it all on old age as I have carried pencil and paper for 40 years.

Bud

Old 09-21-15, 07:48 PM
If I don't keep things in a certain place I find that I lose track of where it is. For instance I am renovating my former rental house not a big renovation no but a little one. I did some electrical stuff in the basement and had kept most of my tools in the kitchen. So I kept on wondering where my pliers were and then I remembered they are in the basement.

That isn't the worst though I have found that getting up and down is harder to do especially when replacing electrical plugs upstairs. Squatting or getting on my knees just can't be done anymore but luckily I have a secret weapon an old Rubbermaid tool box/stool to sit on. Years ago I bought that stool when a store by the name of Caldor went out of business it was a great bargain then and an even better bargain now in my older age.

Old 09-22-15, 04:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
kept most of my tools in the kitchen
I kept tools and such in the kitchen before I met my wife, even had a brand new chainsaw chain still wrapped in plastic in one of the drawers. Well when I was dating my wife she came over one saturday while I was working and her and my boys cleaned the kitchen and the rest of the house. I have never seen that new chain since! We suspect she didn't know what it was and just trashed it She claims I've never forgotten that ..... maybe she's right

I think Gremlins take my tools, then after watching me search for about 10 mins, they put them back in plain sight just to watch my reaction.
Best explanation I've heard yet!
the gremlins at my place might be slow because they make me search longer than 10 minutes

Old 09-22-15, 06:14 AM
Group Moderator
I just had a funny mis-read of your post. I read it as "even had a brand new chainsaw still wrapped in plastic in one of the drawers".

Old 09-22-15, 06:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, that was a BIG kitchen cabinet drawer

Old 09-22-15, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator
Well I read the same as you, TG! I thought he said chainsaw too, lol! Wondered about that and didn't notice till just now that it really says chainsaw chain. Figured no wonder she threw it out. Who wants one of those in your kitchen!

Old 09-22-15, 02:58 PM
I have/had a square bottle with a pour spout for cooking oil. The rubber seal on the spout deteriorated to the point where it didn't seal at all so I set the bottle aside until I could get a new spout. Well, I bought a pair of spouts a couple of months (or more) ago and I have yet to find the bottle. I was at Wally*World a couple of weeks ago and bought a new bottle, just knowing that would allow me to find the old one but so far no luck.

I have a plastic "wash bottle", a squeezable plastic bottle with a bent plastic "straw" coming out of the top to direct a stream of water (or solvent) to something needing cleaning. (I may have more than one but I know at least one.) I was going to use it to top off the cells in the batteries for my riding lawnmower project and to that end I had left it on the table saw for the last month or so. Last week I finally got around to dragging out the jug of distilled water to add some to the battery and I cannot for the life of me find that da***ed bottle. I've looked on the saw, the tool box, in the tool box on the table and all over the floor but it must have grown legs and walked away when my back was turned.

Old 09-23-15, 04:57 AM
Group Moderator
Well, as long as the bar and chain weren't caked with dried blood.....

Old 09-23-15, 05:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Brand new chain still wrapped in the factory plastic. Never realized there would be any confusion when I first type it but at least we all got a smile out of it

Did you notice in another thread where I inadvertently deducted 400 points off of my FICO score

Old 09-23-15, 05:07 AM
Group Moderator
Just so long as none of your creditors noticed....

Old 09-23-15, 05:21 AM
Getting Old isn't so bad when you consider the alternative.

I just had my car re-aligned last Wednesday; but then the Mechanic who did it died of a Heart Attack on Saturday at age 56.

So he'll be spared most of these problems . . . . his are all over.

Old 09-23-15, 05:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I had a doctor I really liked but he died of a heart attack in his office after everyone left for the day, he was 59. I read the obits every morning and all the ones younger than me seem to stand out the most.

Funny how the definition of old age changes over the years. I remember when I worked with some old men in their 30's and now I consider 50 to be young.

Old 09-23-15, 12:45 PM
Once my dad retired and was up in years, he could be seen sitting in his chair, watching the morning local news showing all the horrible Atlanta tail light traffic, and reading the obituaries. I asked him why, and he said he fought that Atlanta traffic for 37 years, and just want to laugh at all the people still doing it......as far as the obituaries.....just wanted to make sure I hadn't died.

Old 09-23-15, 01:36 PM
There is also the other side to getting old and that is the accumulation of knowledge and experience, plus all of the tools. My recent washing machine hose failure turned into a plumbing job for which I had the tools and knowledge to take care of. How often do us older folks have to cll for help, unless it is getting out of the chair.

Seriously, I don't know sometimes how the younger generation gets by. Sure I'd like to be 20 again, but I would want everything I know to go back there with me.

Bud

Old 09-23-15, 02:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
How often do us older folks have to cll for help, unless it is getting out of the chair.
That hits too close to home

I'd like to be 20 again,
Only if I was guaranteed that I wouldn't repeat any of the dumb decisions I made along the way
But it would be nice to have a body where all my parts worked correctly

Old 09-23-15, 06:52 PM
No! I thought about "what if" I could be young again. And still have all of the current knowledge and experience. Don't get me wrong it would be fun to try just for a moment. But my knowledge and experience and age is what makes me ME and what everyone expects to get when they see me. And IF you could be young again what would you have to give up? Your family, friends, and current life status? You can't have it all. Your children would not know you if you did not look like you do now. That would be the biggest problem.

Even a face lift would not be what I want. I often thought wouldn't it be great if my wife and I could look like we did when we first met? But those face wrinkles and age marks and all that extra weight is part of what makes us partners. Without it she would just be another pretty face.

I tried dying my hair for awhile. Did not like it. Even though the Mrs encouraged me do do it. Too much trouble and when you meet someone who knew you with graying hair, it's always a bit awkward for both them and yourself.

No thanks, I embrace my old age and am proud of it, even brag about. Even the stupid and embarrassing things that I wish did not happen.

The big drawback is if you're not in reasonable health or you have a chronic condition. When I had my two bouts with herniated discs, I felt very old. But hey, even that was an experience that I can now relate to when others have problems.

PS...The only regret I have is I wish I had a better understanding of sex and women when I was a teenager and into early twenties.

Old 09-23-15, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator
I'm with Norm...and not just sex and women...although those are nice. Put me back to 18 with just the understanding of other people I have now, and I'd be a happy camper.

On the other side...my 2 neighbors that I actually talk to are 44 and 37. I think they actually respect a few things I say from my life experiences and travels. I'm only 57 but 24 yrs in the Navy and traveling all over the world gives you a bit of insight I guess.

Just like this site, we have to pass on what we know when we can.

Old 09-24-15, 03:06 AM
Look at it this way, too.....what will your legacy be? Will you be the one who teaches your grandson how to put the bicycle together, and let him help, or will you buy it assembled by Wal Mart and put a bow on it? Will you mentor high school kids in the crafts you are trained in? Will you save your Mondays for fixing things for little old ladies free of charge?

We all have our skills and if we die with them inside us, we did an injustice to the future. Sometimes we learn by the seat of our pants. Pass those experiences on so the future doesn't have to repeat it, and can learn something else by the seat of their pants.

I get calls for projects that I used to do by myself. Now, I have to let my helpers do the physical work, while I do the mental work, go get materials, do job proposals. It is a difficult transition in life, but we have to accept it. I've got you by 10, Vic, but just can't seem to quit. I love it too much.

Old 09-24-15, 05:31 AM
Norm, that "what if" thought sometimes crosses my mind when I remember some of the "forks in the road" where I had to decide which direction to go. But immediately, my mind is flooded with how much I would lose, the wife, the kids, and all of the friends inbetween. Right after college a friend pointed out an ad in the NY Times where they were recruiting for electronics technicians for a 2 year project in Antarctica at $10,000 a year tax free in the bank. My goodness, that was a fortune back in 68. I tried, but never was able to connect with them.

But when I look around now at friends and family, I wouldn't change a thing.

By the way, back then I was working for an extremely large corporation and had $7 a week of excess money to enjoy life with. 20 grand, I would have felt like Bill gates.

Bud

Old 11-29-15, 12:30 PM
I was born in 1945--yeah I am old and frequently forget names of friends I worked with for years--and other names.
Several years ago, some of you may remember Ann Landers. Very smart columnist always giving advise.
On forgetting names, she suggested to just set down and relax and picture the person in your mind. Slowly Go through the alphabet A------B----C ----etc. and when you reach a letter that sparks a memory, that letter is usually the first letter of the person's first or last name.
It works for me every time! Amazing!

Old 11-30-15, 10:18 AM
Anyone who has spent a lot of time around firearms is probably aware of the "shooter's notch" - a frequency range of hearing loss that may get worse as you age. Has anyone else here developed a "spousal notch" - a hearing loss centered around your spouse's normal voice frequency? I still have pretty good hearing, except when it comes to my wife.

My daughter is an audiologist and she insists that there is no such thing but she admits that many of her older, long married patients (including me) complain of not being able to hear their spouses.

Old 11-30-15, 10:29 AM
Several years ago, I asked my doctor about that, He stated---"Normally, a man looses his high pitch and a woman looses her low pitch, I think its Gods way of protecting us"
I had to laugh at that answer but now believe him.

Old 11-30-15, 11:16 AM
When it comes to the Missus, I have selective hearing.

What bugs me is when we are having a conversation or she decides to tell me something, I would prefer to have the end point immediately and the details later if I so desire. But no, I must suffer through the long agonizing details of the why and how a certain thing developed. Just get to the point for God's sake.

Or she will tell me a specific instruction. But that's not good enough. She then proceeds to explain each and every detail of each instruction. She says she does this because I don't listen! Ya think?

Ah, such is the pleasures of a 40+ year marriage and settling into our twilight years.

Old 11-30-15, 12:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm often accused of selective hearing but the truth is, while I can hear real good in a silent room as soon as there are competing sounds my hearing goes south real quick Selective hearing only comes into play if I do hear and don't like what I'm hearing

Old 11-30-15, 04:01 PM
Yeah, I can't hear anything above 2k hz. It's odd working a digital soundboard at church and not being able to hear feedback. I do have a white noise receiver next to me that lets me know if a sound out of my range hits, so that is helpful. EQ'ing is digital and visual on my screen so it makes things easier, too. Adapt.

Spousal block???, no I just ignore her and she blames it on my poor hearing. I'm cool.

Old 11-30-15, 04:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just get to the point for God's sake.
Norm, I have the same problem, it is because your wife is/was a teacher. It is habit from trying to drill something into young skulls full of mush. I have my limit and have begun to advise my wife that she is "going into teaching mode" on me. I hold up 3 fingers, because it is usually on the third time I'm reminding her that she has already explained it twice to me. It actually is helping, but I feel for you.

As far as name recognition - I can't even remember who brought it up....

Last edited by czizzi; 11-30-15 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-30-15, 04:36 PM
I was thinking of this thread the other day, but now I can't remember why . Just kidding. Who remembers family walks into the woods to find a Christmas tree each year. I sure miss those days. Now it is a tree farm or a plastic tree.

Bud

Old 11-30-15, 04:51 PM
Z, being married to a 43 year career Cardiac nurse makes you wary of the infernal TRIAGE. Nurses are trained to ask questions three times, changing the way it is asked in order to trip up the patient or get conclusive answers. Gee, I hold up three fingers letting her know she is on the last part of her triage.

Old 11-30-15, 04:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Gee, I hold up three fingers letting her know she is on the last part of her triage.
Just don't hold up three fingers and tell her to read between the lines. That will surely get you in the penalty box for the night.

No, I do the three fingers when she obviously is in the groove and doesn't realize that she is repeating herself. This is a recent breakthrough on my part and she usually agrees and moves on with the story. Honestly, I know more office gossip about the other teachers and administrators than really is healthy.

Old 11-30-15, 05:57 PM
Hmm....Never heard of the three finger method.

Old 11-30-15, 07:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Mrs. Czizzi here, in reality we repeat ourselves because when we speak, those around us usually have a blank stare because they fail to comprehend what we are saying to them. So we explain ourselves again in a different way so that you can understand, just hoping for some kind of response, some glimmer of life behind the eyes that tell us you are starting to get what we are telling you. We can't help it that you're all a little slow and it takes you a little longer to get things. It makes me so proud when Mr. Czizzi can raise his fingers to show that I have finally broken through and we can communicate on a more adult level.

:shocked:

Old 11-30-15, 07:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
OUCH! -I think I have to go and heal now....

It's definately time to change my password.

Old 11-30-15, 07:56 PM
I thought 3 fingers meant a good pour of a single malt.