Concept: Tech vest.

Old 09-22-15, 10:30 AM
Concept: Tech vest.

Hello, I am a senior in my schools STEM program which involves me in something called the "Capstone Project" where it is the culmination of everything i have learned over the years, My group and I are looking at a concept which we named the tech vest.
it is a vest which would be used by people who commonly sit down in front of computers for extended periods of time, heating and cooling elements would be run throughout the vest according to chiropractic recommendations, also reinforcements to be added to areas commonly strained by bad posture at computers.
Any feedback whether you like the idea or not would be appreciated, and sorry if i posed wrongly, I've never actually used this website before.
and no this is not a survey, an ad or an advertisement i'm not asking you to buy this and i'm not trying to find out if you'd buy this, i'd simply like to know if what you think would be impossible improbable or inconceivable about this idea.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-15, 10:47 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

As a licensed chiropractor, I would not endorse your vest as stated - it would be a crutch which would ultimately weaken the muscles needed to maintain proper posture.

Old 09-22-15, 10:58 AM
Hmm, thanks, thats an excellent point,
what about the heating/cooling elements to relax the muscles? would the be effective, and if you disapprove of the supports is there something else you would do?
I.E. the memory foam neck pillows that are often recommended which are supposed to help support your neck while you sleep

EDIT:
Question, by the way do you know any other websites which would be good places to get critiques on the idea?

Old 09-22-15, 11:28 AM
How exactly would a cooling element be run through the vest?

If you want something that people would buy make a light weight portable cooled undershirt. I can't stand going outside in summer have been dreaming of something like this

but instead of using ice water (and having to carry around a bucket of ice water) had an efficient coolant a small peltier plate and a pump.

If you make it, I'll be a customer (hell I might be an investor).

To your original goal of improving posture for people sitting at a desk, that really seems to be a problem best solved with furniture not clothing.

Old 09-22-15, 12:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As someone who advocates on behalf of science, I would recommend you look a little more thoroughly into the field of chiropractic before basing an important part of your STEM education on it.

What are some of the skills (e.g. materials, electronics, design) you would like to demonstrate in your capstone project? Perhaps knowing what your strengths are would help us advise you.

Old 09-22-15, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator
Sorry, we do not and will not recommend other websites.

Old 09-22-15, 01:08 PM
Group Moderator
A pillow is an entirely different concept as you do not want your muscles supporting you when you sleep, as this is when they will be strengthened from the activities you perform during the day to tax them in such a way that your body sees the need to make improvements.

I don't yet understand the need for heating and/or cooling in the vest.

Old 09-23-15, 04:52 AM
About the websites:
Yeah i figured as much, thank you for answering that.
About the heating and cooling:
the point of the vest would be to reduce stress on the muscles;
Correct me if i'm wrong, but when people are in a bad position having the muscles overly stressed can increase the damage done to the body over time.
Someone using their back to pick up a penny is doing a lot less damage to it than someone attempting to pick up a boulder.

about strengths: the problem is that we don't have a lot of background in terms of working with deeper parts of any field, we're given an extended time (10 months) to think of a product and learn the skills according to build it.

Hmm. more about the heating/cooling elements
they could be used in a lesser degree simply for self regulation during various seasons: cooling in the hot workroom or heating during winter Comp work. interesting thank you very much

Again thanks in general for all the help I appreciate it

edit:
Thank you very much stickshift, your knowledge and experience is greatly appreciated

Old 09-23-15, 09:24 AM
Group Moderator
My office temperature is out of my control and sometimes not to my liking. To that end, I keep a hoodie in the office to put on if I'm cold. Never thought about having something which I can use to change the temperature for me....

How do you propose to power the heating and cooling? Being attached to an electrical outlet would be a deal-breaker for me.

Last edited by stickshift; 09-23-15 at 10:53 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-23-15, 10:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think it's a great concept for a senior project. The heating/cooling is something anyone can appreciate, and obviously requires quite a bit of engineering to design and build. It's at least conceptually marketable, which likely satisfies the unwritten criteria of the project.

If you're going to take the next step to invest significant dollars in the marketing and production of it, that's a whole different question and process... but for a senior project, it sounds like a fun challenge!

Old 09-24-15, 04:45 AM
as a basis for our project we'd start out with a USB to a computer with a downloaded program that would allow them to change the temperature, secondarily we would use a cord to a power outlet for actual powering.
in the future (if we have time) I'd like to look into the feasibility of a rechargeable battery pack on the wearer to which we added a re-programmable chip which would download the program so that the final product would be portable for certain periods of time... however that would be a possibility only if we found the time to do so.