Another school rant

Old 09-26-15, 04:50 PM
Another school rant

Ok Did you hear about this bully that was punching and beating a blind student and a football player stepped in and beat up the bully. The bully got arrested but the footballer got kicked off the football team and expelled cause of the schools no tolerance for violence. If you have no tolerance for violence then why was the bully allowed to beat up the blind kid? This article though says the hero hadn't signed up for football yet

Calif. high school bully who hit blind classmate arrested - NY Daily News

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-15, 07:29 PM
Group Moderator
"The Huntington Beach school community is disappointed and discouraged by the recent bullying behavior captured on video at Huntington Beach High School," Superintendent Greg Plutko said in a statement. "We are proud of our quality high schools, and this incident does not reflect the school climates."
Excuse me Mr. Plutko...... I'm not sure who you are trying to snow here.

This incident may not reflect the "climate" as he sees it but the bullying climate does exist. I have seen it in many schools and still do.

That kid is a hero and the community should be proud of him. I am !

Old 09-27-15, 02:30 AM
This is just another example of the idiocy of "zero tolerance" policies, in any area. We give judges the power to temper the law with mercy when the situation warrants but zero tolerance takes that away.

Zero tolerance is nothing more than an autocratic position that ignores the reality and humanity of life.

Old 09-27-15, 03:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Zero tolerance = zero commonsense

Zero tolerance sounds good until you study it for a minute. I think everyone agrees that there should be no tolerance for drugs and violence in school [or anywhere else] but suspending a kid for helping another, a butter knife mama left in the lunch bucket or eating a pop tart into the shape of a pistol is just idiotic!!

Old 09-27-15, 10:07 AM
I think everyone agrees that there should be no tolerance for drugs ... in school...
Nope, I disagree about that as well. Too many cases of teen girls being suspended because of one sharing Midol with another. Even aspirin is verboten in some districts. The height of insanity is when a diabetic kid has to leave their insulin with the principal or nurse.

Old 09-27-15, 10:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree - what I meant was illegal drugs, not a kid sharing an aspirin or even an asthma inhaler.