Twilight Zone? time Warp?

Old 09-28-15, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
Twilight Zone? time Warp?

About twenty years ago the city switched to rolling carts for the garbage and trucks with hydraulic arms to dump them. Nice system, only a driver that does it all from his seat, no helper needed.

So today I hear the garbage truck and I go out to haul the empty cart to the back yard after it is dumped. Couldn't believe my eyes. There is a garbage truck from the past with no arm just a hopper in back and a helper manually dumping the cans into the back of the truck.

So I'm standing there thinking things must be bad at the solid waste motor pool for a type of truck not used in 20 years to be picking up garbage. So what do I see coming from the other direction, a second old truck with no lift arm and a helper picking up garbage on the other side of the street. Normally they only use one truck on a route and here they have two trucks on the same route picking up garbage 1990's style.

What will I see next week? A wagon pulled by a pair of mules. Guess not. That was in another town when I was a kid. Still I'll be looking.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-15, 04:51 PM
Group Moderator
No... the next step is you'll need to being your garbage to a drop off station.

Old 09-28-15, 04:58 PM
Must be a Texas thing, we've had the guy on the back forever.

Old 09-28-15, 05:06 PM
Group Moderator
Must be a Texas thing, we've had the guy on the back forever.
Come to Texas in the summer and you will really appreciate the guy on the back.

Old 09-29-15, 04:12 AM
We recently got the mechanized totes. The recycle is one truck, one driver, no helper all mechanized, and privately owned and run through a contract wit the town.

On the other hand the actual garbage is three people town employed. The trucks are equipped to be totally mechanized but is not used!

Old 09-29-15, 04:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
the next step is you'll need to being your garbage to a drop off station
A few years ago the garbage truck dropped a tire thru the one lane bridge at the start of the road so they required everyone to set their roll it cans out on the side of the two lane road. I don't subscribe to garbage pickup [too much hassle with my driveway] but my neighbor's weren't very happy. The bridge has since been fixed [sort of]

A wagon pulled by a pair of mules
My wife's father used to drive a horse drawn street sweeper for the city back when she was a little girl.

Old 09-29-15, 07:20 AM
Admin Emeritus

"Twilight Zone? time Warp?"

Neither. :NO NO NO:

City waste/trash collection only temporarily reverting back to using old trucks.

As a result of new trucks all being on the "RECALL!"... list!...

Old 09-29-15, 07:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We have some nice trucks here. Almost a work of art. They can be driven on the left or right side and run on CNG. There are separate trucks for Trash, Recycling and Yard Waste.

At least here, The days of a rider are gone. It would take forever. These trucks can go down the block in a matter of minutes.

Old 09-29-15, 07:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I may not have the real answer but hopefully, I can shed some reality on the subject.

I am a truck driver by trade. I worked for Waste Management for 11 years from 1993 - 2004. I was there when we got the first few "one Arm Bandits" as we called them. We are in a rural location in north Louisiana & contracted with many very rural areas.

WM found themselves getting very educated on these trucks after the purchase.
These things dont work very well in rural, dusty, dirty environments. Gravel roads & rural country roads & other environments would get into the electrical components inside or on the arms & cause big problems with solenoids etc. We couldnt keep these things working. They were constantly breaking down. These things are primarily made for city streets with clean enviroments with is impossible in the garbage industry. Excuse the phrase but as we called it... "Maget Juice" would run down the "hand" or "grabber" of the arm & get into the electrical components & short out stuff all over.

While you may have a "one Arm Bandit" working regularly in your area, it wouldn't be uncommon to see an older truck working your neighborhood because the "OAB" has broken down. They usually kept a couple of the older trucks for back up etc. So, it could be a temp thing to see the old "two man truck" in your neighborhood, or you may see it for several days or possibly they finally just took the "OAB" out of service completely.

Once we had all the trouble out of the "OAB"s, we just didn't buy any more. They were just too much trouble with planning, & maintenance cost that resulted in higher costs in the end. Its just cheaper to go back to the old two man truck & pay for a 2nd man.
It was a good idea & should have worked but it was just one of those things that just didn't get off the ground very well.

These are just a couple of the reason that might be the result of you seeing an old truck back on the road.

Hope this helps

Old 09-30-15, 04:40 AM
Good explanation and probably true for the most part.

Search this Thread