Suggestion for forum

Old 10-01-15, 10:38 PM
Suggestion for forum

I thought I would but this here in case others have related ideas as well.

On another forum (now gone) if, while you were typing, someone else posted to that thread a warning would pop up when you posted telling you they were faster, giving you the option to review their post before yours went up. It is nice that we have that problem, but the warning/review does make the thread a lot smoother.

Just a thought for consideration.
Thanks
Bud

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-15, 03:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You have the option to edit your post should that happen. I usually add some nice banter about "losing the race" or "someone types faster. Really only an issue once in a while. I continually hit the "Today's Posts" button to refresh.

Old 10-02-15, 04:34 AM
I think my need for this feature is because I'm the slowest typer on the forum. I often (not always) prepare my response in word and then refresh before I post, but developing a work around is less convenient than having that warning pop up. At some point we discussed another feature and when comparing it to that old other forum, this one and that one used the same system, thus I think this feature is available and if it is easy I don't see where it hurts.

I have learned that getting anything changed is rare, but one can still suggest .

Bud

Old 10-02-15, 04:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have you tried any of the dictation software out there? I had Dragon Dictation on my phone and it was amazing what it could pick up from simple speech. They have versions for your computer although I have never tried it and don' know if they have a free trial or not.

Old 10-02-15, 04:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't have any issues with going back to edit my post to reflect something that was posted in the meanwhile but I have on several occasions initially missed a reply that was posted while I was typing. I suspect that is more of an issue related to my enlargement of the screen. On the plus side with the enlarged view I never see the advertisements on the right

Old 10-02-15, 04:32 PM
Czizzi, you say you usually hit the Today's Post to refresh. I always use the New Post button. That way only new post or replies show up and I don't rehash stuff I'm not interested in.

Old 10-03-15, 03:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I also prefer 'new posts' as it just brings up the threads that have posts since the last time you logged on.

Old 10-03-15, 04:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't only read posts I reply to, I real across a wide range of posts for general knowledge. First time through, I scan for new posts in my forum topics as well as follow ups to previously answered threads. After my "paid" duties are completed, I begin to scan other areas of interest. Many times I will think if ideas after the fact so I can go back and reply to something later. If I only hit new posts, I will never see those posts that have sat stagnant with no responses. Many times I can milk them along by asking for clarifying information such as pictures or diagrams to help get the thread moving. New posts would not allow me that opportunity to assist.

Search this Thread