crazy emails

Old 10-06-15, 10:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
crazy emails

I just got done checking my emails and got tickled by 2 of them. The first one was titled offering help for hiring a nanny, the one below it was offering to help me find assisted living

I know they just send out those junk emails to everyone but I found it comical that one would assume I had small kids and the next one that I'm too old to take care of myself

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-15, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator
When I bought my new very used ten year old van you should have seen all the dire warnings that hit my mailbox saying my factory warranty might be about to expire and I needed to send money that very day to protect myself. Some of the envelopes on the outside even had emblems similar to those found on official state government envelopes.

Last edited by ray2047; 10-06-15 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-06-15, 10:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, we get junk mail all the time with either an official looking envelope or the strict warnings stating that it is only to opened by the addressee - isn't that true for all mail? The good thing about electronic junk mail is it's easy to get rid of, junk snail mail means you got to take out the trash sooner

You can buy a new vehicle and still get all the mailings warning you that the factory warranty will run out soon

Old 10-06-15, 02:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I got one from CarFax the other day on my 2001 Dodge Ram stating that the warranty was running out. Really? Never heard of a 14 year warranty especially with 457,000 miles

Old 10-06-15, 03:23 PM
Group Moderator
LOL Seeing as I had to have the transmision rebuilt the first week I owned it maybe I should have taken them up on the offer. (Oh wait I'll bet drive train wasn't included.) LOl

Old 10-06-15, 03:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just before I met my wife she went to a car lot to buy her son a car that had 98k miles on it. They tried to sell her a warranty plan that would expire after the vehicle reached 100k. I guess she wasn't as dumb as they thought she was

Old 10-06-15, 05:00 PM
Group Moderator
I still smile about my last van bought in '99. It was already 12 years old. Not only did they have me sign the usual Sold As Is agreement in one inch high red letters they stamped the bill of sale "Sold For Parts Only". Drove that sucker for 15 years despite their lack of faith in it. I'd still be driving it if that guy hadn't run the stop sign.

Old 10-06-15, 05:36 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I chat in various IRC channels. The majority of users are in their 20s & 30s. Only one of those chats is an over 50 channel. From what I can see, most of the members in this DIY message board are over 50.

The point is that it's the older crowd (that's us) who still uses email. The younger crowd uses social media instead.

Old 10-07-15, 04:42 AM
Group Moderator
Younger crowd and FEMALES of all ages. My wife Facebook's and has a smart phone; I have neither. AND I read paper books and newspapers!

Old 10-07-15, 05:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I prefer reading the newspaper online. I don't know if it's the lighted page or the larger print but it's a lot easier for me!

Old 10-07-15, 04:22 PM
Marksr, I know what you mean. I can barely see the news print. I now use one of those head lamps when reading the paper. I tried the on-line paper but could not get use to it. Besides they don't have the most important part, the comics!

Old 10-07-15, 04:51 PM
Comics are easy.

GoComics.com - Your source for the best online comic strips around.

I don't register but I have the ones I watch/read as bookmarks. You have to slightly modify the bookmark to remove the date and then they will automatically bring up the latest.

I haven't read a paper newspaper in ages. The cost is too high for me and I don't like the advertising. Unfortunately, the local newspapers now have their on-line content limited if you don't have a paid account. Mostly I rely on the local television news site but since they sold out to an east coast conglomerate the quality has dropped significantly. Then again, since most of the news has minimal effect on my personal life I am blissfully happy in my ignorance.

Old 10-08-15, 03:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
the local newspapers now have their on-line content limited if you don't have a paid account
It's the same here but I feel I get as much from their web sites as I would from watching the news on TV ..... and I can do it on my schedule Since I live near several small towns I have multiple news sites to look it. Most are pretty user friendly except for the town nearest me. They limit the amount of articles you can read a month unless you subscribe. The crazy part is it's free if you have a print subscription but if you just want an online subscription it's $2 more per month They must really want to sell the printed newspaper!

I was just reminded about something else that particular news site does - pop ups Not pop ups that come up in a new window but as part of the news pages, sometimes it's part of a news broadcast but they throw advertising in to

Last edited by marksr; 10-08-15 at 04:15 AM.